All games cancelled till 4/4/20

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Re: All games cancelled till 4/4/20

Post by dm » Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:50 am

Could it be there is no political context to this issue? Of course not. Politicians will be making decisions in the round and not only from a public health perspective. Things like the economy, what political benefit can be gained and how to protect their own careers will all be considerations.

Montag
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Montag » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:49 pm

Despite my dislike of the two of them, I have no doubt that Thatcher and Blair would've done far more to reduce and slow down the spread of this disease. Johnson seems paralysed with fear and is letting a couple of Darwinist super-apes make his decisions for him. I have never in my near 60 years witnessed such an appalling failure of duty on the part of a UK government and public officials.
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."
Richard III, Act IV, W. Shakespeare

stepculln
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by stepculln » Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:42 pm

As I understand it, as and when younger (fitter) people get this bug they are laid up for about a week before going on to make a full recovery. The older (weaker) people struggle through with a percentage not being able to survive the pneumonia etc. The plan seems to be let majority of population get the bug, struggle through to a full recovery. This then builds into them a degree of immunity from the bug. Once sufficient numbers have this immunity, herd immunity, the bug struggles to get passed on person to person and infections drop away. The population can then carryon with minimal infections.

The lockdown course of action seems to quickly reduce the numbers of infection, which is good, but the lockdown can’t go on for months/years. When it is removed the virus will still be about and people will start to get infected again, taking population back to where they were at start of lockdown.

It seems harsh but the herd method may resolve this awful situation quicker than the lockdown, the cases of infection will shoot up, just need to keep the infections of vulnerable people to the minimum. Let fit people self isolate at home leaving hospital beds available for the vulnerable.

I am anything but an expert on this but this is my understanding of the governments rationale for the herd immunity course of action.

luke_mullet
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by luke_mullet » Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:50 pm

stepculln wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:42 pm
As I understand it, as and when younger (fitter) people get this bug they are laid up for about a week before going on to make a full recovery. The older (weaker) people struggle through with a percentage not being able to survive the pneumonia etc. The plan seems to be let majority of population get the bug, struggle through to a full recovery. This then builds into them a degree of immunity from the bug. Once sufficient numbers have this immunity, herd immunity, the bug struggles to get passed on person to person and infections drop away. The population can then carryon with minimal infections.

The lockdown course of action seems to quickly reduce the numbers of infection, which is good, but the lockdown can’t go on for months/years. When it is removed the virus will still be about and people will start to get infected again, taking population back to where they were at start of lockdown.

It seems harsh but the herd method may resolve this awful situation quicker than the lockdown, the cases of infection will shoot up, just need to keep the infections of vulnerable people to the minimum. Let fit people self isolate at home leaving hospital beds available for the vulnerable.

I am anything but an expert on this but this is my understanding of the governments rationale for the herd immunity course of action.
For the herd immunity to work it requires at least 60% of the population to get it. In the UK that's around 40 million...at a fatality rate of 2% that's 800'000 deaths in the UK.

Montag
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Montag » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:55 pm

800,000! Tops?!! :cry:
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."
Richard III, Act IV, W. Shakespeare

stainesranger
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainesranger » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:04 pm

Probably less than 1% mortality rate, but that could still be 200,000-400,000 people dead and a totally overwhelmed nhs. Really hope that’s not the case.

I feel like it’s too early to judge the government response, but it’s undoubtedly strange that we’re such an outlier as it stands. Why is our approach so different to countries around the world?

old pauline
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by old pauline » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:59 pm

stainesranger wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:04 pm
Probably less than 1% mortality rate, but that could still be 200,000-400,000 people dead and a totally overwhelmed nhs. Really hope that’s not the case.

I feel like it’s too early to judge the government response, but it’s undoubtedly strange that we’re such an outlier as it stands. Why is our approach so different to countries around the world?
The economy I expect
Come on you Sooopa ........

Andy_N19
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Andy_N19 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:11 pm

old pauline wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:59 pm
stainesranger wrote:

The economy I expect
Is the economy more important than the general population's health?
Staff Benda Bilili

222gers
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:51 pm

Now saying over 70s will be told to stay at home. I can't see any harm in going out in the car - petrol can be purchased at a pay-at-pump garage. I guess if they declare a state of emergency, we could be arrested for being over 70 !

My niece phoned me today and pooh-poohed it all saying she would only listen to the advice of the WHO. “Oh, c'mon” I said, “what does Roger Daltrey know about it”

Satch
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:22 pm

White Duck wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:39 am
Satch wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:33 am
Giorgio wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:49 pm

..I read that the government is willing to let the virus spread around the country, infecting 60% of the population so that
it would end with people creating the due anti-corps....pity that a good number of those infected will be.....how to say it politely...
ah...yes...focked ....it is a virus that can induce pneumonia.....and over 5K people died already.... :roll: :roll:
I don't know close to enough about the subject to say this is the wrong thing to do but it's pretty concerning that we seem to be the only nation willing to take this approach, especially with the type of pernicious cunts in charge of the country and the ethos of disaster capitalism at the heart of their motives.
How classy of you to try to make this a political issue. Well done you 👍.
Classier than nearly plowing ahead with a strategy that some are estimating could have killed 400k people? How is it not a political issue when the decisions are being made by politicians? But i'm glad you didn't let me down, i knew as soon as i wrote it you'd leap in to complain, seemingly only when people criticise the right?
Rbee wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:34 am
White Duck wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:39 am

How classy of you to try to make this a political issue. Well done you 👍.
and ironically doesn’t live here
Your grasp of irony is worse than most Americans', British born, British voter and home to nearly all my family and friends, so it's a fairly vested interest.

Satch
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:23 pm

Andy_N19 wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:11 pm
old pauline wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:59 pm
stainesranger wrote:

The economy I expect
Is the economy more important than the general population's health?
To the current government, i genuinely believe it is or at least the parts of the economy relevant to his cronies and biggest backers.

stainesranger
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainesranger » Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:23 am

Looks like we’re doing a decent job of tanking the economy AND failing on the public health front

deadendjob
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by deadendjob » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:37 pm

Given the numbers still climbing, I imagine the tentative date of 04.04.20 May get pushed out

old pauline
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by old pauline » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:02 pm

All football below semi-professional level has just been told by the FA to immediately abandon the 2019/20 season.
Come on you Sooopa ........

ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:29 pm

old pauline wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:02 pm
All football below semi-professional level has just been told by the FA to immediately abandon the 2019/20 season.
It has to be a consistent approach throughout the leagues. What happens at the bottom must happen at the top and visa-versa. It is the only way to ensure the integrity of the competition.

Dudley Sports who play in the West Midlands (Regional) League (Premier Division) - or level 10 of the football league pyramid, are connected through the league structure to Liverpool who sit at the top of the Premier League by virtue of the fact they play in the same league system. One may be at the very top, and one near the bottom of that structure, but none the less they are connected. It has to be the same rules for everyone.

Scrapping the entire 2019/20 season, while unpalatable for many is the only way to ensure consistency and therefore fairness for everyone - not just the few who stand to make a small fortune if the decisions go in their favour.
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.