Is The Game Definitely On This Saturday?

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

QPR-NI
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Re: Is The Game Definitely On This Saturday?

Post by QPR-NI » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:45 am

UxbridgeR wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:06 pm
QPR-NI wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:45 pm

So basically the same as the flu we get variations of every year, but which kills vastly more?

People with underlying conditions are most at risk, as with the normal flus.

I think this is being led by the media and followed along by politicians.

We’ll know in a month or two.
To what end ? What's their agenda ?
The same agenda the media s as lists have, namely to drive the agenda. Create hysteria, encourage people to click their site or watch their coverage or listen to their station.

This is not achieved by saying “calm down”, it’ll be fine.

As I said thousands upon thousands more die of cancer every day of every year. Yet no massive amounts of billions pumped into curing that. Ditto heart disease, stroke, suicide.

There is no sense of perspective from the media.

Do you remember mad cow disease and swine flu?

The lack of resilience and fortitude of the population is far and away the most startling part of this crisis.

Contrast the people hoarding toilet rolls and pasta and rushing home from their offices, with the NHS workers, Police etc

UxbridgeR
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by UxbridgeR » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:30 am

If the media's agenda is the same as it always is, why are politicians and people reacting so differently to it now ? Politicians could easily try to calm things down, yet even our own PM is preparing the population for the reality that they will lose loved ones.

Billions have been poured into fighting cancer, heart disease and strokes, but none of those are contagious. You've compared it to the flu, but we have a vaccine for the flu and vulnerable people will already have had a preventative jab to protect themselves as best they can. Yes, people will still die, but we largely know what we're dealing with.

In contrast, we're 12-18 months away from having a vaccine for COVID-19, and we're still getting to grips with how it impacts individuals. I'm all for people keeping calm and carrying on wherever possible, but if people can work from home for now, then doing so is just a sensible precaution. NHS workers and the police don't have that option.

I agree that those panic-buying toilet roll, pasta and handwash are idiots, adding to the problem, but I don't think puffing out your chest and humming the Dam Busters theme tune is going to alleviate the situation either.
Last edited by UxbridgeR on Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

stainesranger
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainesranger » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:32 am

Aren’t people just following the advice of public health officials? If you watch the videos coming out of hospitals in China and read the accounts of frontline healthcare professionals in Italy I think it’s pretty obvious that action should be taken. If we’re required to self isolate at any point for a week or perhaps two weeks in the future then it makes sense to have some food/toilet roll in the house. Unfortunately that means that stocks are low.

Fortitude comes from taking the necessary steps to deal with the outbreak, rather than minimise the seriousness of what is happening. I do think it needs dealing with head on.

Montag
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Montag » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:15 pm

If the death toll gets out of control, I would hope and expect (In my dreams) that senior ministers and senior civil servants would be tried for gross negligence. Their response has been inept to say the least. China should be required to pay reparations to all countries affected (also in my dreams).
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."
Richard III, Act IV, W. Shakespeare

stainesranger
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainesranger » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:25 pm

Montag wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:15 pm
If the death toll gets out of control, I would hope and expect (In my dreams) that senior ministers and senior civil servants would be tried for gross negligence. Their response has been inept to say the least. China should be required to pay reparations to all countries affected (also in my dreams).
It’s not really their fault though is it? They implemented draconian measures to shut it down. The virus could have easily started in any other country. I’m no fan of communist dictatorships but to blame a people or its government for an act of god seems like a stretch?

QPR-NI
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by QPR-NI » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:31 pm

stainesranger wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:25 pm
Montag wrote:
It’s not really their fault though is it? They implemented draconian measures to shut it down. The virus could have easily started in any other country. I’m no fan of communist dictatorships but to blame a people or its government for an act of god seems like a stretch?
They allowed and indeed encouraged the trade in wild animals and the terrible conditions they were kept in.

That’s no act of God.

QPR-NI
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by QPR-NI » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:36 pm

UxbridgeR wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:30 am
If the media's agenda is the same as it always is, why are politicians and people reacting so differently to it now ? Politicians could easily try to calm things down, yet even our own PM is preparing the population for the reality that they will lose loved ones.

Billions have been poured into fighting cancer, heart disease and strokes, but none of those are contagious. You've compared it to the flu, but we have a vaccine for the flu and vulnerable people will already have had a preventative jab to protect themselves as best they can. Yes, people will still die, but we largely know what we're dealing with.

In contrast, we're 12-18 months away from having a vaccine for COVID-19, and we're still getting to grips with how it impacts individuals. I'm all for people keeping calm and carrying on wherever possible, but if people can work from home for now, then doing so is just a sensible precaution. NHS workers and the police don't have that option.

I agree that those panic-buying toilet roll, pasta and handwash are idiots, adding to the problem, but I don't think puffing out your chest and humming the Dam Busters theme tune is going to alleviate the situation either.
We’ve no idea how long a vaccine will take. It could be weeks not months.

How long is it actually feasible to lock down a democratic country?

How long will debtors give people to pay their bills?

All well and good for millionaires and public sector workers to sit at home. Not so good for a taxi driver or pub worker or builder.

This panic will not end well.

QPR-NI
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by QPR-NI » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:39 pm

Montag wrote:
Are you going to try people who flew home from Italy or China?

Execute someone who has been tested positive but doesn’t self isolate?

Intern profiteers, charging hundreds for tiny bottles of anti septic
( I’d agree with this)

Where does it end?

Stateside Ranger
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by Stateside Ranger » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:40 pm

Um, at what point does this thread get moved to General Forum / RAOIS?

:?

Dollis Hoop
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by Dollis Hoop » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:18 am

This is a nasty virus. It kills around one per cent of those who catch it. Most of those who die from it are elderly and/or have underlying conditions. In Italy the health service is close to breaking point; doctors are having to decide who lives and who dies based on their chances of survival - normally this kind of decision-making only happens in a war zone. Doctors and nurses are dying fromit. Let's say in the UK it has a modest impact and a million people get it. That's 10,000 dead, and tens of thousands more hospitalised, placed on ventilators because they cannot breathe on their own. The NHS would be barely able to cope with those numbers. I am 61 and have asthma and I am frankly scared. I am working from home and trying to avoid contact with the outside world. This is not a hysterical reaction or something whipped up by the media or the government; this is a real and rational fear of a virus that kills. This is a nasty virus. I had already decided not to go to today's game before it was cancelled.

Dollis Hoop
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by Dollis Hoop » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:19 am

ps the mortality rate of one per cent is around ten times that of regular seasonal flu.

ActonArthur
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by ActonArthur » Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:14 am

Dollis Hoop wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:18 am
This is a nasty virus. It kills around one per cent of those who catch it. Most of those who die from it are elderly and/or have underlying conditions. In Italy the health service is close to breaking point; doctors are having to decide who lives and who dies based on their chances of survival - normally this kind of decision-making only happens in a war zone. Doctors and nurses are dying fromit. Let's say in the UK it has a modest impact and a million people get it. That's 10,000 dead, and tens of thousands more hospitalised, placed on ventilators because they cannot breathe on their own. The NHS would be barely able to cope with those numbers. I am 61 and have asthma and I am frankly scared. I am working from home and trying to avoid contact with the outside world. This is not a hysterical reaction or something whipped up by the media or the government; this is a real and rational fear of a virus that kills. This is a nasty virus. I had already decided not to go to today's game before it was cancelled.
Serious question, if doctors and nurses are dying from it, does that not contradict the fact that it is only for the old or previously unwell ?

UxbridgeR
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by UxbridgeR » Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:20 am

ActonArthur wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:14 am
Dollis Hoop wrote:
Serious question, if doctors and nurses are dying from it, does that not contradict the fact that it is only for the old or previously unwell ?
As Dollis Hoop said, most of those who will die will be the elderly and those with underlying health problems. Nobody's guaranteed to be immune. NHS workers in the front line will be subject to far greater levels of exposure than the average person, and are consequently more at risk as a result.

UxbridgeR
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by UxbridgeR » Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:23 am

QPR-NI wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:36 pm
We’ve no idea how long a vaccine will take. It could be weeks not months.

How long is it actually feasible to lock down a democratic country?

How long will debtors give people to pay their bills?

All well and good for millionaires and public sector workers to sit at home. Not so good for a taxi driver or pub worker or builder.

This panic will not end well.
I think it's only Donald Trump that believes that. Everyone I've seen who actually knows about these things is saying 12-18 months. The only way to do it more quickly would be by cutting corners and not testing it properly, which would be hugely risky in itself.

ActonArthur
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by ActonArthur » Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:38 am

UxbridgeR wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:20 am
ActonArthur wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:14 am
Dollis Hoop wrote:
As Dollis Hoop said, most of those who will die will be the elderly and those with underlying health problems. Nobody's guaranteed to be immune. NHS workers in the front line will be subject to far greater levels of exposure than the average person, and are consequently more at risk as a result.
Ok thanks.
Another thought. If those who are at serious risk avoid it for now, aren’t they / we just postponing the inevitable that it has to sweep the nation. That said China seems to be not getting any more infections, how have they achieved that.