Transfer Rumours

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

UxbridgeR
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Re: Transfer Rumours

Post by UxbridgeR » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:28 pm

ZENITH R wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:09 pm
How will the transfer window work? It looks increasingly unlikely football will resume on April 4th. So, if by May we still haven't had a restart, how can Eze join Spurs (or anyone) with the current season unfinished? The same goes for any transfers.

Sorry Liverpool, Leeds and WBA the longer this goes on the more likely the whole season will be declared null and void.
I think this season will have to be finished, however long it takes. If they try and declare it null and void, I'd imagine there will be all sorts of legal challenges from teams claiming they've potentially missed out on league titles or promotion, or been unfairly relegated. Maybe next season will be truncated, perhaps with fewer games and not every team necessarily playing every other team twice. Some might claim that too will be unfair, but at least everyone knows the set-up in advance and the goalposts aren't being moved with less than 10 games to go.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:55 pm

UxbridgeR wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:28 pm
ZENITH R wrote:
How will the transfer window work? It looks increasingly unlikely football will resume on April 4th. So, if by May we still haven't had a restart, how can Eze join Spurs (or anyone) with the current season unfinished? The same goes for any transfers.

Sorry Liverpool, Leeds and WBA the longer this goes on the more likely the whole season will be declared null and void.
I think this season will have to be finished, however long it takes. If they try and declare it null and void, I'd imagine there will be all sorts of legal challenges from teams claiming they've potentially missed out on league titles or promotion, or been unfairly relegated. Maybe next season will be truncated, perhaps with fewer games and not every team necessarily playing every other team twice. Some might claim that too will be unfair, but at least everyone knows the set-up in advance and the goalposts aren't being moved with less than 10 games to go.

Legally, we are in uncharted waters, as nothing like this has happened before. Italy and Spain are in lock down and the expectation is that sooner or later so will we be. Lets be optimistic and say football could resume in June (I don't think that is an unrealistic guess - though it could be later) If we are going into lock down, it is unlikely to be sooner. When football resumes, it won't be a case of lets start again next Saturday, players will need to get (match) fit, managers and coaches who haven't seen their players for months will want some time to get them organised. The break in momentum might hurt some or work in favour of others, so apart from Liverpool's title, I think pretty much everything else throughout the leagues would be up for grabs. I do think the longer it goes on the harder it will be to resume. Inevitably things will have changed - to use the old cliche - the goalposts will have moved. The longer this takes the further they will have moved.
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

IJM
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by IJM » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:35 pm

ZENITH R wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:55 pm
UxbridgeR wrote:
ZENITH R wrote:

Legally, we are in uncharted waters, as nothing like this has happened before. Italy and Spain are in lock down and the expectation is that sooner or later so will we be. Lets be optimistic and say football could resume in June (I don't think that is an unrealistic guess - though it could be later) If we are going into lock down, it is unlikely to be sooner. When football resumes, it won't be a case of lets start again next Saturday, players will need to get (match) fit, managers and coaches who haven't seen their players for months will want some time to get them organised. The break in momentum might hurt some or work in favour of others, so apart from Liverpool's title, I think pretty much everything else throughout the leagues would be up for grabs. I do think the longer it goes on the harder it will be to resume. Inevitably things will have changed - to use the old cliche - the goalposts will have moved. The longer this takes the further they will have moved.
Surely it is wrong to say 'Managers and Coaches haven't seen their players for ages' as I would assume that training is continuing as normal for all clubs to keep the players as fit as possible ?

jimjams
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by jimjams » Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:38 am

UxbridgeR wrote:
Might be they get rid of one or both cups and have 3 automatic promotion spots instead of playoffs.
That would reduce the season without too much logistical gymnastics.
Also, get rid of international friendlies.
I expect the Euros will be postponed to next year or canceled.

ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:22 am

IJM wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:35 pm
ZENITH R wrote:
UxbridgeR wrote:

Surely it is wrong to say 'Managers and Coaches haven't seen their players for ages' as I would assume that training is continuing as normal for all clubs to keep the players as fit as possible ?
That's hard to do if they are self isolating or unwell. Twenty to thirty people meeting up at a training ground would seem to fly in the face of the current advice.
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing up is optional.

Barry
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Barry » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:06 pm

IJM wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:35 pm
ZENITH R wrote:
UxbridgeR wrote:

I’d be very surprised if there’s any training being done. MARC Pugh is back on the south coast doing stuff in his garden every day to keep fit.
QPR & Ireland

Barry
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Barry » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:08 pm

n22hoop wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:48 pm
Barry wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:16 pm
ZENITH R wrote:

Sorry?!?! WBA aside (I don’t actually mind them) it’s be hilarious for Liverpool and Leeds to lose out!
It's unlikely any of the teams will miss out or the season will be declared null & void. If this seasons games aren't concluded then current placings will likely determine the season outcomes. Not sure how a 3rd team from the Championship would be seleceted but it seems fairest to just pick the team currently in 3rd place. Harsh but probably the best approach.
It does seem the fairest approach but I don’t think they will do it unless there’s rules written for this kind of scenario and I’d be surprised if there was anything in writing. Got to think about relegation as well, it is a minefield
QPR & Ireland

ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R » Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:17 pm

Barry wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:08 pm
n22hoop wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:48 pm
Barry wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:16 pm

Sorry?!?! WBA aside (I don’t actually mind them) it’s be hilarious for Liverpool and Leeds to lose out!
It's unlikely any of the teams will miss out or the season will be declared null & void. If this seasons games aren't concluded then current placings will likely determine the season outcomes. Not sure how a 3rd team from the Championship would be seleceted but it seems fairest to just pick the team currently in 3rd place. Harsh but probably the best approach.
It does seem the fairest approach but I don’t think they will do it unless there’s rules written for this kind of scenario and I’d be surprised if there was anything in writing. Got to think about relegation as well, it is a minefield
What about relegation? Villa are in the drop zone to come back down. They have a game in hand - win that and they are out of the bottom 3. With 9 games to go in the Championship that is enough points for all teams currently in the bottom 3 to get out of there. Similarly, another blip by the top 2/6 and half the division could grab a promotion spot. We are only 6 points behind Preston in 6th place and we are in 13th. It's too close and there are too many games left to make assumptions that are worth £150 million to the lucky clubs. We are already looking at 3 months minimum before a resumption - probably more. Declaring the season null and void is the fairest thing to do for everyone (not just a lucky few) if the season can't be finished. If my team missed out on a £150 million pay day because someone changed the rules and made huge assumptions, I'd be straight on to my legal team. To complicate things further the top 6 have been in poor form of late - only Leeds seem to have recovered, so you can't base any decision on current placings or 'form'.

Remember:
Growing up is optional.

Montag
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Montag » Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:25 pm

Way back in the 80's when ALL English clubs were banned from Europe because of the actions of Liverpool fans at Heysel we just accepted it. Clubs like ours lost out on a place in Europe, losing out on valuable revenue. The bigger clubs must've lost even more yet no-one thought to sue Uefa or Liverpool. We should've. In the case of a club like QPR, a rare European campaign that turned out to be successful could've been part of our history. For that reason, I hope Liverpool are not just given the title like they were in '76. Cancel it!
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."
Richard III, Act IV, W. Shakespeare

UxbridgeR
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by UxbridgeR » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:26 am

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51934215

Championship clubs are unanimously behind trying to complete the season despite the coronavirus outbreak.
All 24 second-tier clubs held a video conference on Tuesday.
It followed a similar meeting on Monday when the current top six-placed clubs agreed in their desire to play remaining fixtures, a view supported by at least three other clubs.
Leeds United are currently top of the Championship table, a point ahead of West Brom with nine games to play.

The English Football League board are due to meet on Wednesday to discuss the way forward, while Premier League clubs will hold a conference on Thursday.
Fulham, Brentford, Nottingham Forest and Preston North End currently occupy the Championship play-off places, with Charlton Athletic, Luton Town and Barnsley are in the relegation zone.
The final round of Championship fixtures was due to take place on Saturday 2 May.
Meanwhile, the 47 clubs in Leagues One and Two have told the EFL they face an estimated combined loss of £50m if the campaign cannot restart before the summer.
They have been asking what assistance they may receive and the EFL has been collecting data and talking to clubs through board representatives in recent days.
Peterborough United owner Darragh MacAnthony has said in a statement that voiding the current season would be "catastrophic".
The matter is also expected to be discussed by the board on Wednesday.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

n22hoop
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by n22hoop » Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:33 pm

"Football is the love of form. A spectacle that scarcely leaves a trace in the memory and does not enrich or impoverish knowledge. This is its appeal : it is exciting and empty." Mario Vargas Llosa

W12Allstars
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by W12Allstars » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:24 pm

UxbridgeR wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:26 am
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51934215

Championship clubs are unanimously behind trying to complete the season despite the coronavirus outbreak.
All 24 second-tier clubs held a video conference on Tuesday.
It followed a similar meeting on Monday when the current top six-placed clubs agreed in their desire to play remaining fixtures, a view supported by at least three other clubs.
Leeds United are currently top of the Championship table, a point ahead of West Brom with nine games to play.

The English Football League board are due to meet on Wednesday to discuss the way forward, while Premier League clubs will hold a conference on Thursday.
Fulham, Brentford, Nottingham Forest and Preston North End currently occupy the Championship play-off places, with Charlton Athletic, Luton Town and Barnsley are in the relegation zone.
The final round of Championship fixtures was due to take place on Saturday 2 May.
Meanwhile, the 47 clubs in Leagues One and Two have told the EFL they face an estimated combined loss of £50m if the campaign cannot restart before the summer.
They have been asking what assistance they may receive and the EFL has been collecting data and talking to clubs through board representatives in recent days.
Peterborough United owner Darragh MacAnthony has said in a statement that voiding the current season would be "catastrophic".
The matter is also expected to be discussed by the board on Wednesday.
I can't see it happening at this point. Pubs etc shut tonight, and reviewed once a month. So shut for a month at least, probably 2 or 3. How important is football in the bigger picture, as much as we love it?

And by the way, I am really missing all sport, but football and rugby most of all. Never take them for granted again, even when we're losing...
Far better is it to dare mighty things, than to dwell in the twighlight that knows neither victory nor defeat - T Roosevelt

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:46 am

Get an XBox or PS and a few good games. :D
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

stainesranger
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainesranger » Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:29 pm

God knows what all this means for transfers. Obviously we’ll need cash even more, but maybe buyers will be spooked too and we might see another season with our star players. Which could even mean a tilt at the playoffs.

You never know!

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:18 pm

No real surprise that Leistner won't be returning: https://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/foo ... n-16042011

Given there's a further year on his contract I assume we'll see something in the way of a transfer fee from FC Koln.