Defense Question

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

deadendjob
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Defense Question

Post by deadendjob » Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:56 pm

I know this thread's off the back of a good win, which seems somewhat counter productive, but I'm curious as to everyone's thoughts - especially those who attend games regularly.

Throughout the season we've had significant issues with shipping goals, some of that is due to the quality of the opposition, but given how tight the table is, it can't be the defining factor.
Fans seem to be fond of Hall, Barbet, BFG, Manning, so my question for everyone is:

What do you think is the reason for our poor defensive record? Is it a coaching issue? Individual player issue or whole team issue?
Following on, with the season nearly over, are the positions you think need to be addressed next year? Personally I think we need to invest in a decent goalkeeper, but given our financial constraints, are there other positions that are more pressing?

Satch
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Re: Defense Question

Post by Satch » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:05 pm

Organization at set-pieces seems to be a major issue. We've also played a fairly expansive style so conceding goals is somewhat inevitable in that context as well. We're a pretty short team which i don't think helps the first point.

222gers
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:35 pm

Yes, set pieces in particular corners, are a concern. Right back is the weakest position I feel.
I'd like to think Kelly can improve and become permanent 'keeper.

QPR-CMOB
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by QPR-CMOB » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:53 am

As has been written I think a lot of our defensive troubles came from set pieces which is why so many were worried when BFG left.
Add to this a very expansive style of play where all too often I think we appeared light in midfield , and so our defence generally was overly exposed.
Just before this recent good run, people starting to be talking about us getting drawn into the relegation battle at which point it seems to me MW has become far more pragmatic. Maybe this is brought on by the loss of Wells as his movement is very different from that of Hugill who although he works hard is far more the stereotypical target. To me we seemed to have been using the channels a lot more , playing longer as opposed to just constantly playing through the lines , allowing us to not only clear our defensive third of the field but be able to win second balls far higher up the field to build attacks and counter . Add to this the good form of both Barbet and Rangel and we look more solid , to go with the natural flair that our midfield undoubtedly possess and what we have is a formula which has most certainly worked over the last few weeks and silenced many of the critics.
HAD ENOUGH OF THE COWBOYS .... QPR NEED THE INDIANS.

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:14 pm

When Warburton was made manager I recall some saying his style of football led to lots of goals at both ends so I think our poor defensive record will partly be down to that. Another thought is it's noticeable the Cameron and Ball pairing has helped which rather indicates what we previously had there wasn't working in terms of shoring up the defence. One further comment is that we've looked vulnerable all season from the flanks regardless who's been at fullback. Again that could be down to Warburton's style but, with the possible exception of Rangel, I don't think any of our 4 fullbacks are particularly good defensively.

As for incoming players in the summer, whereas we won't need 15 as we did last summer, I can see us bringing in up to 9 depending on who goes and who stays. One or two youngsters might be deemed ready for the step up such as keeper Seny Dieng and Paul Smyth, though he's not had a great season at Wycombe. I've a feeling our other promising youngsters will need another season out on loan.

Positions that may need filling: keeper, right back, centre back, 2 centre midfielders, 2 forwards and 2 strikers.

deadendjob
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by deadendjob » Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:19 pm

Some interesting thoughts, cheers everyone.

Realistically, I think we'll stand to lose the following players:

Eze
BOS
Leistner
Manning (less so than the others)

Rangel (retiring I've heard)

Hugill
Clarke
Amos

I'd hope we'll get decent fees for the top 4 that'll help us rebuild as even with the outs, there's still a few positions we're short on.

QPR_John
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by QPR_John » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:20 pm

deadendjob wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:19 pm
Some interesting thoughts, cheers everyone.

Realistically, I think we'll stand to lose the following players:

Eze
BOS
Leistner
Manning (less so than the others)

Rangel (retiring I've heard)

Hugill
Clarke
Amos

I'd hope we'll get decent fees for the top 4 that'll help us rebuild as even with the outs, there's still a few positions we're short on.
So we will have a close season like last with at least half a new squad. Hardly a way to build the club.

jimjams
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by jimjams » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:30 am

Might be worth considering that our defence has actually been quite reasonable of late. Not incredibly stingy, but letting in 7 goals in 8 games is quite respectable.
Maybe it's to do with Barbet. I have to say looking at him as an individual player, I can't see anything standout, but the stats seem to suggest he makes a big difference.
It's no secret that MW values having a left-sided central defender, and maybe there is something in that. I don't think Ryan Manning is that weak defensively, but I do think he is much weaker on his inside (and in the air). I'm just speculating, but it might be that Barbet, being naturally left-sided, counteracts this.

deadendjob
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by deadendjob » Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:25 pm

jimjams wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:30 am
Maybe it's to do with Barbet. I have to say looking at him as an individual player, I can't see anything standout, but the stats seem to suggest he makes a big difference.
Maybe it's not necessarily his skills, but his positioning is good? Ie decent at closing the space down. Even maybe he communicates better with the other players?

I feel that with Cameron not being available next match, it could be a tough game for us.

jimjams
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by jimjams » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:22 am

deadendjob wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:25 pm
Maybe it's not necessarily his skills, but his positioning is good? Ie decent at closing the space down. Even maybe he communicates better with the other players?
Could be. I really don't know what it is, but the figures suggest it must be something.