A late run to the playoffs

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

Montag
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Re: A late run to the playoffs

Post by Montag » Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:26 pm

Rbee wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:25 pm
How pointless is the ‘no handshaking policy?’

😷
Pretty pointless when players are grappling with each other the whole game.
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."
Richard III, Act IV, W. Shakespeare

flatfoot
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by flatfoot » Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:56 am

Rbee wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:25 pm
How pointless is the ‘no handshaking policy?’

😷
Well, it sends a message out to the general population to "WASH YOUR HANDS OR YOU'LL F***IN KILL US ALL!!"

Which is nice.

redinjun
dot.org player kit sponsor
dot.org player kit sponsor

Post by redinjun » Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:54 pm

Bevan wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:03 pm
I BLOODY KNEW IT WHEN I STARTED THIS THREAD!

Now only 6 points off with a favourable run in!!!

U R’ssssss
Can you start a thread about getting promoted, then against all odds staying up and re stabilising the club financially, Car Giant going bust and selling off their land on the cheap and building a new 30k stadium that we sell out every week.

Thanks

kernowhoop
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by kernowhoop » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:28 am

Going back to the original question... even if we win on Saturday, we shall not be any higher than 12th when the weekend's fixtures have been completed and my guess is that we shall still be six points behind the team in sixth place, with one fewer game left in which to achieve the miracle. Does anyone know if there is any history of teams unexpectedly making a last-minute dash into the play-offs? Did Palace do it once?
It's simple. Score more goals than they do.

stainesranger
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainesranger » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:16 am

If we had a fantastic run and averaged 2 points a game that would take us to 68 points at the end of the season. Which, I think, is the lowest number of points that has ever got a team into the playoffs. Usually you need around 73 points.

Given that we haven’t yet averaged 2 points a game this season and there are lots of other teams vying for the playoffs I’d rate our chances as little more than zero.

Still, things are looking up for next season and this one has been a lot of fun!

QPR_John
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by QPR_John » Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:03 pm

stainesranger wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:16 am
If we had a fantastic run and averaged 2 points a game that would take us to 68 points at the end of the season. Which, I think, is the lowest number of points that has ever got a team into the playoffs. Usually you need around 73 points.

Given that we haven’t yet averaged 2 points a game this season and there are lots of other teams vying for the playoffs I’d rate our chances as little more than zero.

Still, things are looking up for next season and this one has been a lot of fun!
Are they. Acccording to some we will lose a lot of players not least Eze, BOS and Manning. If true this season's form means very little.

Satch
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:51 pm

stainesranger wrote:

Yeah, i think it's going to be a case of starting over, which is a real shame.

stainesranger
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainesranger » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:34 pm

Satch wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:51 pm
stainesranger wrote:

Yes, but even with that in mind I still reckon things are looking up based on the job the manager has done. It’ll be tough without our best players from this season, but the overall direction of the club is promising. Who knows for how long, but I’m feeling good about things at the moment even if we sell our best players. That’s assuming a portion of the money is reinvested in the next crop of promising players.

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:55 am

stainesranger wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:34 pm
Satch wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:51 pm
stainesranger wrote:

Yes, but even with that in mind I still reckon things are looking up based on the job the manager has done. It’ll be tough without our best players from this season, but the overall direction of the club is promising. Who knows for how long, but I’m feeling good about things at the moment even if we sell our best players. That’s assuming a portion of the money is reinvested in the next crop of promising players.
Paradoxically, the best players that we are selling cost next to wander all in modern terms. If we were to use the money to attract someone like Semi Ajayi or Dael Fry to play for us, we would have to blow through our salary cap, pay a lot of money for and, in the final reckoning, would they be that much better than Masterson & Barbet? If next season starts with some new players that no-one has ever heard of, who also cost peanuts, would we be prepared to give the club the benefit of the doubt?
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

stainesranger
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainesranger » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:46 am

I don’t think there’s much option, but the lessons from Eze and BOS (and sadly Brentford) is that with the right ideas and the right people you can make that model work. If we manage to turn it into a system, rather than a stroke of luck at having one good crop of young signings, then we’re in a much better place than we have been for years. Much easier said than done but the omens are good.

I also think that it’s not just a straight shoestring/splurge dichotomy. Even if we invested a small portion of the player sales wisely then that could reap big rewards.

deadendjob
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by deadendjob » Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:30 pm

I mean if you look at it, aside from Eze & Manning, we weren't expecting a great deal out of the youngsters we had coming through or even the experienced players we brought in.
The NZR's met up at the end of last season and a lot of us thought we'd be struggling this season. We've certainly exceeded expectations.

ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:08 pm

It looks like it will be a VERY late run for the play offs.

:D
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.