How Much should we accept for Eze

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Re: How Much should we accept for Eze

Post by Esox Lucius » Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:43 pm

With any luck at all, any offers for both Eze & BOS won't meet the club's valuation and they are still here next season.
*Ducks to avoid being hit by a pig.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

222gers
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:08 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:41 pm
The "quick" comments are a little off IMO. His style doesn't say rapid but I have watched him specifically for this aspect and he does cover the ground very quickly when he needs to. His 40-50 yard times would be interesting (a la NFL metrics) as I don't think he is as slow as people think.
I agree. I think he has very quick acceleration over a short distance. He doesn't storm forward in the manner of, say, Dave Thomas or further back Johnny McLelland or further forward BOS but he can be surprisingly fast over a short distance.

I think that as we have been rather starved of really good players in recent years, we somewhat overestimate players and expect huge sums for them if we sell. We have an encouragingly good crop of young players but we're not going to get massive sums for all of 'em. Eze is of course the highest value player but we may not get the figure some expect.

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:35 pm

Eze isn't as rapid as, say, BOS but as Esox says he's not slow either. I'm thinking of our win away this season at Hull when he outran 3 Hull players over 2/3s of the pitch. And he had the ball.

I also agree with 222gers that he's got a burst of pace in his locker. Remember his goal against Stoke away when he burst forward, slaloming past several players, to score, for me, what is still our goal of the season.

£20m or on yer bike.

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:55 pm

222gers wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:08 pm
Esox Lucius wrote:
The "quick" comments are a little off IMO. His style doesn't say rapid but I have watched him specifically for this aspect and he does cover the ground very quickly when he needs to. His 40-50 yard times would be interesting (a la NFL metrics) as I don't think he is as slow as people think.
I agree. I think he has very quick acceleration over a short distance. He doesn't storm forward in the manner of, say, Dave Thomas or further back Johnny McLelland or further forward BOS but he can be surprisingly fast over a short distance.

I think that as we have been rather starved of really good players in recent years, we somewhat overestimate players and expect huge sums for them if we sell. We have an encouragingly good crop of young players but we're not going to get massive sums for all of 'em. Eze is of course the highest value player but we may not get the figure some expect.
I agree with this as we saw in the cases of both Smithies and Freeman. In Eze's case, I see a lot of fans from other clubs making comments like "he'll be off to a top club", "best opposition player I have seen this season", "he was mint against us" etc. so I think that when the time comes, there will be a lot more interest than there was for Alex or Luke. I also have a feeling in the back of my head that once Eze, Chair & BOS are split up they will never be as good as they are together from those years learning their trade in the U23's together. They are also given the liberty of more or less playing their own game as they see fit, with tactical restraints, and it would be surprising if a new club would see it he same way.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

deadendjob
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by deadendjob » Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:37 pm

Personally I think we should be looking for 10m plus for Eze. He's 21, starting regularly, massive potential.
Transfermarkt's only got him valued at 5m though, contract expires in 2021 - so unless we can get an extension, we might not be able to command such a high fee.

Satch
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:11 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
It's relative, he's not slow for sure, but he doesn't break with the ball at his feet as quickly as Freeman or Chair for that matter, i don't think it hampers him much as a ten but i think it knocks a bit of value off imo. I should say my guess would be before any add ons and hopefully we'd have a sell on fee in there.

jimjams
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by jimjams » Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:52 pm

He's not slow, but he is not the kind of quick you need to be an attacking player in a top PL team. I think if Spurs are interested it would be as an option further back.

He's obviously very good, and not from just watching him play. His goals and assists are very impressive and passing % is really high, so clubs are bound to be interested, and he's young so that adds to his value. But he's also unproven at the next level, so that must limit his value.

My impression of MW is that he has a better sense of budget discipline than most managers (as you might expect) and as such, won't make excuses to himself to justify paying more than he wants for a new player in fees or wages. Likewise, he probably has a figure in his mind as to what he will accept for players, one he won't go below, and for Eze, I expect it would be 12m+.

Giorgio
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Giorgio » Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:02 pm

..I can't say a figure, but I would invite you to compare with the fees paid for other players, some not even so good as Eze is....
So I really hope that if we are going to let him go, it would be for a good fee and not peanuts....as we did in the recent past...

Satch
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:13 pm

jimjams wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:52 pm
He's not slow, but he is not the kind of quick you need to be an attacking player in a top PL team. I think if Spurs are interested it would be as an option further back.

He's obviously very good, and not from just watching him play. His goals and assists are very impressive and passing % is really high, so clubs are bound to be interested, and he's young so that adds to his value. But he's also unproven at the next level, so that must limit his value.

My impression of MW is that he has a better sense of budget discipline than most managers (as you might expect) and as such, won't make excuses to himself to justify paying more than he wants for a new player in fees or wages. Likewise, he probably has a figure in his mind as to what he will accept for players, one he won't go below, and for Eze, I expect it would be 12m+.
It's an interesting thought him playing further back, which i've been pondering since i read your post the other day. My gut feel is he doesn't quite have the range of passing (not that he isn't an excellent passer) or quite the reading of the game. Comparing him to Faurlin, say. The latter really could spray the ball around and was always in space when looking to recieve the ball, often made interceptions when others would have to be making a tackle, frequently was uncontested for headers. Eze certainly isn't poor at these things but I don't think he'd become a premier league standard deep play maker, i also think it might also take both a brave manager to try it and take a bit of convincing of Eze. I certainly couldn't see Mourinho having any inclination in this. I think he'd favour someone far more physical like Essien or Dembele.

Andy_N19
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Andy_N19 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:41 pm

jimjams wrote:
Which is why I think if BOS continues to improve, he'll command a higher fee ultimately in a year or so's time.
Staff Benda Bilili

trevsinclair85
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by trevsinclair85 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:39 am

Esox Lucius wrote:
I agree. His technique is one that lends him to going past people due more to agility than raw pace, but he is not slow. I’ve seen him pull away from players a number of times and they’ve struggled to get up to speed with him. He also has a knack of drawing players on to him and releasing the ball at the right moment which is a sign of his football intelligence.

In my opinion, he is a £16m player at the very least.

trevsinclair85
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by trevsinclair85 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:41 am

jimjams wrote:

I disagree. Dele Alli? Kevin De Bruyne? David Silva? Ozil?

UxbridgeR
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by UxbridgeR » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:53 am

trevsinclair85 wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:41 am
jimjams wrote:
He's not slow, but he is not the kind of quick you need to be an attacking player in a top PL team...
Exceptions that largely prove the rule, surely. The last 3 are world class players. Much as I like Eze, I don't think he's in that bracket.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

trevsinclair85
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by trevsinclair85 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:26 am

UxbridgeR wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:53 am
trevsinclair85 wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:41 am
jimjams wrote:
He's not slow, but he is not the kind of quick you need to be an attacking player in a top PL team...
Exceptions that largely prove the rule, surely. The last 3 are world class players. Much as I like Eze, I don't think he's in that bracket.
Maddison? Mount? Fleck?

UxbridgeR
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by UxbridgeR » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:52 am

Both Maddison and Mount look quicker and more direct to me, but I might be doing Eze a disservice there. Fleck's a good call, but he's benefitted from being part of a very strong team with a nucleus that has been together for a few years. Would anyone have been likely to pay £15-20M for him if Sheff Utd had missed out on promotion last year ?

As others have said, it's not that Eze's slow by any means, but if we're looking to get the thick end of £20M for him, his relative lack of pace might count against him.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?