How long does Warburton have?

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

Greyhound
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Re: How long does Warburton have?

Post by Greyhound » Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:50 am

Your jibes at Les are pathetic. How long do you think is a reasonable period to turn around a club in the state we were in, and one that has no easy options for ground redevelopment, etc.? We are lucky to have Hoos, Ferdinand, Ramsey and Warburton and anyone who can't see that needs to wake up.

Mr Beef
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Mr Beef » Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:59 am

Albert Steptoe wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:27 am
Come on, our DoF has said that we won't be competitive for another two years - seven years after he defenestrated the manager. I'm not sure if he's being unnecessarily demanding there. Only seven years to get a team in place that can compete with other teams? Why not give him a full decade? Good old Les - and don't forget he does his job purely out of the love of his heart for us, little old Rangers.

Similarly, Warburton has only had 31 league games to sort out the defence - that's not very much time. We shouldn't expect a football manager to know how to set up a football team, or at least not for a couple of seasons.

So everything is great. Les is great. Lee is great. Warburton is great. Our defence is great. The board is great. *happy clap* *happy clap* *happy clap*
So what would you suggest? A new DoF and we ignore FFP and gamble?

Systemsguy
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Systemsguy » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:02 am

White Duck wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:16 pm
Esox Lucius wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:43 pm
wander off! the last thing that will make us any better is getting rid of another manager just because you've started your period. The majority of fans had us down for a relegation battle from the start of the season. Instead of which we have watched the best football in years with a team of kids coming through the academy and one of the highest scoring teams in the FL. The defence is too slow to be competitive in the Championship and it IS going to cost us games but get rid of the manager? Give your head a wobble.
Ah the old ‘most fans expected us to be battling relegation’ bollox. Absolute rubbish. We should be safely mid table with the squad we have so if MW fails to deliver this then he should be questioned.
Interesting as @loftofwords (a respected commentator of the club) was of the opinion he was only hopeful of three clubs being worse than us....

We've seen some decent football this season down the Bush....

As long as we stay up comfortably I'll be happy and looking forward to season 2020/2021 in August
2019/2020.... Keep Calm, no matter the season, we'll follow our team.....

Systemsguy
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Systemsguy » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:05 am

Mr Beef wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:59 am
Albert Steptoe wrote:
Come on, our DoF has said that we won't be competitive for another two years - seven years after he defenestrated the manager. I'm not sure if he's being unnecessarily demanding there. Only seven years to get a team in place that can compete with other teams? Why not give him a full decade? Good old Les - and don't forget he does his job purely out of the love of his heart for us, little old Rangers.

Similarly, Warburton has only had 31 league games to sort out the defence - that's not very much time. We shouldn't expect a football manager to know how to set up a football team, or at least not for a couple of seasons.

So everything is great. Les is great. Lee is great. Warburton is great. Our defence is great. The board is great. *happy clap* *happy clap* *happy clap*
So what would you suggest? A new DoF and we ignore FFP and gamble?
No No Mr Beef....

New DoF ,CEO and Manager .... Oh and of course #amitout

jimjams
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by jimjams » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:24 am

Albert Steptoe wrote:
Les Ferdinand joined in 2015, although admittedly is seven years ago, when rounded to the nearest seven. At the time, QPR had managed to work its way into a record-breaking financial mess. I don't know what your comparison to that might be, whether it is Bury or Bolton or Leeds or Portsmouth, but which one do you think we have done worse than in our first 4 1/2 years of recovery?

Even as we got promoted, there were people chanting "we want our rangers back." Now there is much more of a sense of community off the pitch, we have a proper badge again, and although the kit will never satisfy everybody, at least we don't look like French onion sellers at home any more.

Same time, we've made substantial progress in balancing the books, perhaps even doing so, without going into meltdown on the pitch.

If Les doesn't deserve the credit for this, who does?

jimjams
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by jimjams » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:37 am

White Duck wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:16 pm
Ah the old ‘most fans expected us to be battling relegation’ bollox. Absolute rubbish. We should be safely mid table with the squad we have so if MW fails to deliver this then he should be questioned.
Don't know about most, but there were plenty. Personally I wasn't one of them, I agree we should be mid-table. I don't think we will get relegated at all.

I don't think we have a league 1 defense (or that its pace is costing us), but even if we did, you could still mount a better defense than we currently are, so MW does deserve to have his feet to the fire on this.

Regards the original question, I think he has time. We are three games without a win. We are not headed for relegation, we don't play a dreary style of football, there is no chance of a glamorous replacement. Normally managers get in trouble when it gets to 7 games or so. McClaren got to 9 and still clung on, so I think the club's management can stomach quite a bit more.

Andy_N19
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Andy_N19 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:56 pm

jimjams wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:37 am
I don't think we have a league 1 defense (or that its pace is costing us)
It's precisely what I see each week and some in that defence are League 2 standard as well.
They were torn to shreds by the pace and guile of Benrahma, Mbuemo and Watkins over 2 games against Brentford.
Conor Masterson seems a defensive gem that we've unearthed though.
Staff Benda Bilili

222gers
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:17 pm

Maybe a back four of Rangel/Masterson/Barbet and another chance at LB for Manning, with Cameron as defensive midfielder, will stop the rot.

whittonhoop
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by whittonhoop » Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:43 pm

He must be here for this and next season. Surely the January conversation (with the board) was let’s save a few quid and limp home.

Not exciting for fans, but sensible if it frees up money for next year.

Damien
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Damien » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:04 pm

willo wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:56 pm
Esox Lucius wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:43 pm
wander off! the last thing that will make us any better is getting rid of another manager just because you've started your period. The majority of fans had us down for a relegation battle from the start of the season. Instead of which we have watched the best football in years with a team of kids coming through the academy and one of the highest scoring teams in the FL. The defence is too slow to be competitive in the Championship and it IS going to cost us games but get rid of the manager? Give your head a wobble.
You are the reason this board is in decline. If only you could debate without being so nasty (and in this case misogynistic) you could make a positive contribution. Sadly not. You must have photos of DG. He's banned people for way less than what you do.
aniclap

bwhoops

Post by bwhoops » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:57 pm

whittonhoop wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:43 pm
He must be here for this and next season. Surely the January conversation (with the board) was let’s save a few quid and limp home.

Not exciting for fans, but sensible if it frees up money for next year.
I think Whitton has called it exactly right. For a club with serious financial worries, why not save on half a season of Leistner's wages?

Personally, I think this season has already been a success and seen us playing the best football in years. The more experience we give to developing players right now, the better off we will be for it next season. I don't see us getting relegated

Albert Steptoe
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Albert Steptoe » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:59 am

jimjams wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:24 am
Les Ferdinand joined in 2015, although admittedly is seven years ago, when rounded to the nearest seven. At the time, QPR had managed to work its way into a record-breaking financial mess. I don't know what your comparison to that might be, whether it is Bury or Bolton or Leeds or Portsmouth, but which one do you think we have done worse than in our first 4 1/2 years of recovery?

Even as we got promoted, there were people chanting "we want our rangers back." Now there is much more of a sense of community off the pitch, we have a proper badge again, and although the kit will never satisfy everybody, at least we don't look like French onion sellers at home any more.

Same time, we've made substantial progress in balancing the books, perhaps even doing so, without going into meltdown on the pitch.

But that's the point about his role - he's a glorified Community Liaison Officer, not a Director of Football. Where's the scouting of the lower leagues and Europe to unearth the kind of talent we should be signing, developing and then selling at a profit? Just like Brentford do. Now Penrice has left, our scouting network seems to reach no further than Enfield Training Centre.

At the moment, we have an awful defence, no decent striker of our own and the goalkeeping has generally been substandard too. That's after five years in the role and three years of parachute payments. Just not good enough.

Systemsguy
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Systemsguy » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:22 pm

Albert Steptoe wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:59 am
jimjams wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:24 am

But that's the point about his role - he's a glorified Community Liaison Officer, not a Director of Football. Where's the scouting of the lower leagues and Europe to unearth the kind of talent we should be signing, developing and then selling at a profit? Just like Brentford do. Now Penrice has left, our scouting network seems to reach no further than Enfield Training Centre.

At the moment, we have an awful defence, no decent striker of our own and the goalkeeping has generally been substandard too. That's after five years in the role and three years of parachute payments. Just not good enough.
Les actually joined us in late 2014 at the behest of TF (another fan appeaser) when 'arry was still in charge....

Wasn't happy about it at the time but he's turned the QPR tanker round slowly financially.....

I'm grateful to him, Lee Hoos and Chris Ramsey for their hard work In steadying the ship....

Who do the usual suspects want next in the managerial hotseat at Cirque Du QPR?

Please enlighten me..... Serious answers only please

Andy_N19
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Andy_N19 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:51 pm

Albert Steptoe wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:59 am
Where's the scouting of the lower leagues and Europe to unearth the kind of talent we should be signing, developing and then selling at a profit?
Anybody listening to 5 Live now to the Brentford "B" Team coach? They have no youth setup but play intensive matches as the B team.
They sign player 17-20 years old for that team. I prefer a youth set up as it has worked for us.
They scout in Europe and dropouts from the top clubs.
Our scouting is sad with too many very slow and technically very poor players coming through the door.
Obviously I don't include Chair/Eze/Masterson or BOS but our entire defence matches the above description.

No communication coming from HQ at the moment, I don't mind the theory that they had a chat, got rid of the BFG
to save money and Wells too and limp to the season's end to re-boot for next season, but at least keep us in that loop,
we're mature supporters, we know we're skint!
Staff Benda Bilili

Systemsguy
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Systemsguy » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:23 pm

but..... Masterson is part of our defence now?

and of a first team of 11 players, 4 and 5 and possibly 6 if you count Manning and Lumley were scouted in that team...

how many more you want?

we cant afford ready made quality strikers, so we loan for now.....

Nakhi had a purple patch with us and Burnley recouped some money on him, but so did Jamie Mackie and Dave Agyeman (remember him?)