How long does Warburton have?

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

nic
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Re: How long does Warburton have?

Post by nic » Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:33 pm

UxbridgeR wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:27 pm
nic wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:18 pm
UxbridgeR wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:12 pm

It was a very loaded question though, wasn't it ?

Not."is Warburton's job under threat", but "how long does he have" ? And you've started a brand new thread with it. Just a concerned fan though, I'm sure.
I didn’t mean it that way.

Maybe the title could have been different.

It remains a perfectly sensible question.

Our chairman likes to get rid of managers fairly quickly. Warburton doesn’t tend to last too long at clubs.

My sense is the smart money would not be on him lasting too long, though many of us would give him more time.
The thing is, I think threads like this on social media contribute in their own small way to increasing pressure on the manager when we lose a few games. There are enough dickheads out there who will do this in a heartbeat , so I don't think it helps when more thoughtful fans like yourself do the same.
Fair point. Given that on the other fan websites I have seen a lot/in some cases most fans seem to be calling for him to go, I thought asking how long we can stay was fairly moderate. It won’t be a balanced discussion on here that puts pressure on him when many on other sites are saying he is lucky to still be in a job ...

nic
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by nic » Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:34 pm

nic wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:33 pm
UxbridgeR wrote:
nic wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:18 pm

I didn’t mean it that way.

Maybe the title could have been different.

It remains a perfectly sensible question.

Our chairman likes to get rid of managers fairly quickly. Warburton doesn’t tend to last too long at clubs.

My sense is the smart money would not be on him lasting too long, though many of us would give him more time.
The thing is, I think threads like this on social media contribute in their own small way to increasing pressure on the manager when we lose a few games. There are enough dickheads out there who will do this in a heartbeat , so I don't think it helps when more thoughtful fans like yourself do the same.
Fair point. Given that on the other fan websites I have seen a lot/in some cases most fans seem to be calling for him to go, I thought asking how long he can stay was fairly moderate. It won’t be a balanced discussion on here that puts pressure on him when many on other sites are saying he is lucky to still be in a job ...

carrotstick
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by carrotstick » Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:37 pm

Why doesn’t MW just try getting in a new defensive coach to work with what we’ve got ( we ain’t getting any more players). Surely, if we can start conceding just one goal a game instead of 2 or 3, our flair players should be able to score enough goals to get us more than enough points to survive this season, we already have a 9 point head start on 3rd from bottom, so “ don’t panic Mr Mainwaring “..

Damien
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Damien » Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:41 pm

nic wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:34 pm
nic wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:33 pm
UxbridgeR wrote:

Fair point. Given that on the other fan websites I have seen a lot/in some cases most fans seem to be calling for him to go, I thought asking how long he can stay was fairly moderate. It won’t be a balanced discussion on here that puts pressure on him when many on other sites are saying he is lucky to still be in a job ...
You need to learn the rules on here Nic. Never post anything without running it past some on here. I won't name them :wink: On the subject, I don't think Warburton should be in any danger... no matter what happens. He and the players are doing the best they can given their limited talent in some cases. My only worry is we seem to accept defeat too easily and lack strong characters in the squad.

Montag
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Montag » Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:46 pm

MW was my choice when we were relegated but the club re-appointed Ramsey. Where would we be now, I wonder if MW had had the parachute money to invest rather than it being wasted by two novices. Spilt milk, I suppose. I cannot see us getting anyone near his calibre at the present time. He's made a few mistakes, sure everyone does. Remember Venables constantly playing Ernie Howe over Bob Hazell? That probably cost us promotion in 81/82. Yet TV is still one of, if not the best manager we've had. We know the system is against us but stick with MW. He'll get us there given time. We'll be ok this season. Another couple of wins and that will be enough. Then regroup for 20/21!
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."
Richard III, Act IV, W. Shakespeare

nic
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by nic » Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:46 pm

carrotstick wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:37 pm
Why doesn’t MW just try getting in a new defensive coach to work with what we’ve got ( we ain’t getting any more players). Surely, if we can start conceding just one goal a game instead of 2 or 3, our flair players should be able to score enough goals to get us more than enough points to survive this season, we already have a 9 point head start on 3rd from bottom, so “ don’t panic Mr Mainwaring “..
Yes you would think ... what went wrong for him at Forrest, a club watch a lot due to having family roots in Nottingham, was quite similar. And he was very stubborn there. That’s what worries me I guess - which is why I used the Wenger comparison in the original post.

nic
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by nic » Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:46 pm

nic wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:46 pm
carrotstick wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:37 pm
Yes you would think ... what went wrong for him at Forrest, a club I watch a lot due to having family roots in Nottingham, was quite similar. And he was very stubborn there. That’s what worries me I guess - which is why I used the Wenger comparison in the original post.

Systemsguy
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Systemsguy » Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:11 pm

Mark Warburton actually exceeded a lot of fans expectations with our early season form..

That our strike force were all so called "season long loans" was hardly his fault....

We got one up, one down and one somewhere in the middle.... We kept the middle one as it became obvious we weren't going to pressure for a playoff place this season....

I assume as long as we don't have a disastrous slump (McClaren style) MW will be expected to kick on next season by the management....

Some fans on social media really are plums
2019/2020.... Keep Calm, no matter the season, we'll follow our team.....

Giorgio
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Giorgio » Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:23 pm

...changing the manager would be the most stupid decision that the club might take....we need to make group and fight to get to the end of this season...then we see what's happening next....cos as someone whispered there could be several surprises on the Summer...in this league..
Important is to stay in it...

Damien
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Damien » Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:33 pm

Giorgio wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:23 pm
...changing the manager would be the most stupid decision that the club might take....we need to make group and fight to get to the end of this season...then we see what's happening next....cos as someone whispered there could be several surprises on the Summer...in this league..
Important is to stay in it...
He keeps us up... then he's done his job. If we drop(and it is possible) he should be allowed to get us back up.

stainesranger
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainesranger » Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:45 pm

If he gets us relegated there should be a discussion about whether he should stay on. If he keeps us up the job is his for next season

willo
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by willo » Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:56 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:43 pm
wander off! the last thing that will make us any better is getting rid of another manager just because you've started your period. The majority of fans had us down for a relegation battle from the start of the season. Instead of which we have watched the best football in years with a team of kids coming through the academy and one of the highest scoring teams in the FL. The defence is too slow to be competitive in the Championship and it IS going to cost us games but get rid of the manager? Give your head a wobble.
You are the reason this board is in decline. If only you could debate without being so nasty (and in this case misogynistic) you could make a positive contribution. Sadly not. You must have photos of DG. He's banned people for way less than what you do.

stainesranger
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainesranger » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:20 pm

willo wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:56 pm
Esox Lucius wrote:
wander off! the last thing that will make us any better is getting rid of another manager just because you've started your period. The majority of fans had us down for a relegation battle from the start of the season. Instead of which we have watched the best football in years with a team of kids coming through the academy and one of the highest scoring teams in the FL. The defence is too slow to be competitive in the Championship and it IS going to cost us games but get rid of the manager? Give your head a wobble.
You are the reason this board is in decline. If only you could debate without being so nasty (and in this case misogynistic) you could make a positive contribution. Sadly not. You must have photos of DG. He's banned people for way less than what you do.
Last edited by stainesranger on Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

White Duck
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by White Duck » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:16 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Ah the old ‘most fans expected us to be battling relegation’ bollox. Absolute rubbish. We should be safely mid table with the squad we have so if MW fails to deliver this then he should be questioned.
Lex Talionis........

Albert Steptoe
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Albert Steptoe » Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:27 am

Come on, our DoF has said that we won't be competitive for another two years - seven years after he defenestrated the manager. I'm not sure if he's being unnecessarily demanding there. Only seven years to get a team in place that can compete with other teams? Why not give him a full decade? Good old Les - and don't forget he does his job purely out of the love of his heart for us, little old Rangers.

Similarly, Warburton has only had 31 league games to sort out the defence - that's not very much time. We shouldn't expect a football manager to know how to set up a football team, or at least not for a couple of seasons.

So everything is great. Les is great. Lee is great. Warburton is great. Our defence is great. The board is great. *happy clap* *happy clap* *happy clap*