I hope history doesn't repeat itself

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

beaglebum
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

I hope history doesn't repeat itself

Post by beaglebum » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:05 am

It's a bit worrying when this time last year we had a transfer ban in place and we all know what happened to our form in the latter half of the season.

This season we're on a sinilar number of points as this time last year. We have one of the best stats for goals scored yet have just lost our best striker. We have one of the worst stats for goals conceded but have just loaned out one of our CBs. We've also sold Scowen who on his day can be immense for us. But yet no one has come in. Are we now much weaker than we were this time last season? Based on last years dip in form can we honestly say we wont go down?

I just hope we don't live to regret the sloppy goals conceded and points we've dropped as a result. Ironically we've probably lost about 15 pts this season from individual errors. If we were 15pts higher we'd be in the top 2 or 3. I wonder then, with promotion a possibility if the club wouldve gone for it and spent money this window?

I'd like to think we do have better personel and a better footballing style this season. But can we rely on Hugill alone and will be rest of the squad feel deflated without the likes of Wells scoring at the other end? Let's hope Eze, BOS and Chair all take on the challenge that's now expected on their young shoulders.

Devonranger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Re: I hope history doesn't repeat itself

Post by Devonranger » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:27 am

Think the striker area is the concern - if Hugill was injured, would think the emergency loan system would be permitted, given the lack of bodies in that position.

Hopefully we can keep Hall, Barbet and Masterson fit as any 2 out of the three would be a good pairing. Left back we a covered for and maybe a chance to give Manning some time in centre mid.

Playing Hugill gives you the chance to play Eze, Chair or BOS off him in a front 3 or you could play a 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1, giving Shodipo a bit more pitch time.

Centre mid you have Cameron, Ball, Manning.

Maybe even one or two more could come through from our under 23s for game time.

Think Oteh playing off Hugill could be interesting too.

Devonranger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Devonranger » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:28 am

Plus Clarke and Amos !!!!!

White Duck
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by White Duck » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:06 pm

Devonranger wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:27 am
Think the striker area is the concern - if Hugill was injured, would think the emergency loan system would be permitted, given the lack of bodies in that position.

Hopefully we can keep Hall, Barbet and Masterson fit as any 2 out of the three would be a good pairing. Left back we a covered for and maybe a chance to give Manning some time in centre mid.

Playing Hugill gives you the chance to play Eze, Chair or BOS off him in a front 3 or you could play a 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1, giving Shodipo a bit more pitch time.

Centre mid you have Cameron, Ball, Manning.

Maybe even one or two more could come through from our under 23s for game time.

Think Oteh playing off Hugill could be interesting too.
No chance of the EFL agreeing to an emergency loan if we have no fit strikers: think they would only allow goalkeepers. Think we could sign free agents though.
Lex Talionis........

QPR_John
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by QPR_John » Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:46 pm

beaglebum wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:05 am
It's a bit worrying when this time last year we had a transfer ban in place and we all know what happened to our form in the latter half of the season.

This season we're on a sinilar number of points as this time last year. We have one of the best stats for goals scored yet have just lost our best striker. We have one of the worst stats for goals conceded but have just loaned out one of our CBs. We've also sold Scowen who on his day can be immense for us. But yet no one has come in. Are we now much weaker than we were this time last season? Based on last years dip in form can we honestly say we wont go down?

I just hope we don't live to regret the sloppy goals conceded and points we've dropped as a result. Ironically we've probably lost about 15 pts this season from individual errors. If we were 15pts higher we'd be in the top 2 or 3. I wonder then, with promotion a possibility if the club wouldve gone for it and spent money this window?

I'd like to think we do have better personel and a better footballing style this season. But can we rely on Hugill alone and will be rest of the squad feel deflated without the likes of Wells scoring at the other end? Let's hope Eze, BOS and Chair all take on the challenge that's now expected on their young shoulders.
And risk another FFP fine. You can bet if the FL could get their hands on us again it would be more than a tap on the wrist like the "punishments" they have dished out to others