Faith in the Future

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

Stateside Ranger
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Faith in the Future

Post by Stateside Ranger » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:46 pm

Amid the slight doom and gloom of Wells, Leistner, Scowen leaving, and likely, BOS, and Eze in the summer, I actually feel really optimistic about next season.

Opening Day 20/21 could look like:

GK - Kelly

LB - Wallace
RB - Kane
CB - Barbet
CB - Masterson

CM - Ball
CM - Manning

RW - Smyth
AM - Chair
LM - Shodipo

CF - Oteh

...and that’s before buying anyone and all the loans going back. More playing time for Shodipo and Chair, Smyth was a handful in the Championship 2 seasons ago and I think has been unlucky.

What we clearly need looking at that potential team is a striker or two to balance with Oteh, and an ultra-aggressive centre-midfielder to nip at heels and the referee, not sure Manning or Ball will ever be this.

Still think Warburton doing an outstanding job given the constraints. U R’ssss!

Montag
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Re: Faith in the Future

Post by Montag » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:47 pm

Oteh? :( sofahide
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."
Richard III, Act IV, W. Shakespeare

White Duck
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by White Duck » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:49 pm

I'm afraid that team would struggle to avoid relegation.

Oteh looks a long way off a first team lone striker to me. Very little goals in that team. Manning isn't a central midfielder, and Ball is average at best.

We would be mad to sell both Eze and BOS at the same time unless we have quality replacements in place.
Lex Talionis........

stainesranger
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainesranger » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:18 pm

Absolutely not to that team!

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:01 pm

Sorry Stateside Ranger but the starting 11 in season 2020/21 will not be the one you've chosen. I confidentiality suggest there will be 5 or 6 different names to your 11.

Stateside Ranger
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by Stateside Ranger » Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:21 am

dm wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:01 pm
Sorry Stateside Ranger but the starting 11 in season 2020/21 will not be the one you've chosen. I confidentiality suggest there will be 5 or 6 different names to your 11.
I agree some new faces are needed before next season starts. Which 5 or 6 positions do you think will be most important to strengthen?

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:16 am

Given some may not have contracts renewed - Rangel, Cameron, Pugh - some may move on - Eze, BOS, and loans returning to their parent clubs - Hugill, Amos, Clarke, it will be another busy summer just to bring what's already a thin squad up to required numbers.

We may see a few more of our youngsters come in such as keeper Seny Dieng and forwards Paul Smyth and Deshane Dalling, but we'll probably need to recruit a right back, centre back, defensive midfielder, creative midfielders and strikers; that's potentially 7 or 8 players.

jimjams
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by jimjams » Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:45 am

Stateside Ranger wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:46 pm
Amid the slight doom and gloom of Wells, Leistner, Scowen leaving, and likely, BOS, and Eze in the summer, I actually feel really optimistic about next season.

GK - Kelly

LB - Wallace
RB - Kane
CB - Barbet
CB - Masterson

CM - Ball
CM - Manning

RW - Smyth
AM - Chair
LM - Shodipo

CF - Oteh

...and that’s before buying anyone and all the loans going back. More playing time for Shodipo and Chair, Smyth was a handful in the Championship 2 seasons ago and I think has been unlucky.

What we clearly need looking at that potential team is a striker or two to balance with Oteh, and an ultra-aggressive centre-midfielder to nip at heels and the referee, not sure Manning or Ball will ever be this.

I share your optimism (still!) but I don't think Smyth will be back. I don't think he's a MW player and doesn't seem to have been tearing it up at Wycombe. Think it's quite likely he will be at Grimsby.
Obviously we would be getting people in, at least on loan. And if we sold both Eze and BOS probably buying a few players. I think it's more likely than not that at least one of them will still be at QPR next season.
I didn't know Pugh was only on a one year contract, but I agree broadly with DM. Need to replace Rangel, Cameron, Hugill, Wells, Leistner, at least. We seem light in CDM and CB, just in terms of numbers. If Pugh stays, we'll have enough attacking midfielders, I think.

Damien
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Damien » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:56 pm

jimjams wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:45 am
Stateside Ranger wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:46 pm

GK - Kelly

LB - Wallace
RB - Kane
CB - Barbet
CB - Masterson

CM - Ball
CM - Manning

RW - Smyth
AM - Chair
LM - Shodipo

CF - Oteh

I share your optimism (still!) but I don't think Smyth will be back. I don't think he's a MW player and doesn't seem to have been tearing it up at Wycombe. Think it's quite likely he will be at Grimsby.
Obviously we would be getting people in, at least on loan. And if we sold both Eze and BOS probably buying a few players. I think it's more likely than not that at least one of them will still be at QPR next season.
I didn't know Pugh was only on a one year contract, but I agree broadly with DM. Need to replace Rangel, Cameron, Hugill, Wells, Leistner, at least. We seem light in CDM and CB, just in terms of numbers. If Pugh stays, we'll have enough attacking midfielders, I think.
Pugh already looks shot as a player. Would be madness to extend his contract when he will be another year older and slower.