A new defender?

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

kernowhoop
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

A new defender?

Post by kernowhoop » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:39 am

I was not at the match, but, on TV, it looked as though the team started the game nervously – a huge contrast with the way that they started the game at Craven Cottage. The nervousness showed up in numerous mis-placed passes in the early part of the game, when the pressure on the home team was not particularly great. For their part, Nottingham Forest looked at ease, but hardly an outstanding team. Why were Rangers nervous in a home game against Nottingham Forest when, five days earlier, away to Fulham, they attacked freely for the start and could have been three goals up in the first half an hour?
In the second half last night, the sending off clearly changed the game, but, strangely, not at first. They seemed more committed and for some time, they actually played much better when a man short. In fact, for a while, an equaliser looked a strong possibility.
We have - more or less - the personnel to finish in the top half and maybe scrape into the play-offs. I cannot be alone in thinking that - just look back at the rave reviews that were being posted on here a few weeks’ ago. But, on the field, too often, the team lacks belief. Restoring that belief is a massive challenge for Warburton and I doubt whether fine words alone can do it. We seem to need a strong defensive player (not necessarily at the back – it may be a defensive midfielder) who is a huge personality, who can tighten things up and restore the confidence. Is there someone out there who could be signed in January to do that job?
It's simple. Score more goals than they do.

carrotstick
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Re: A new defender?

Post by carrotstick » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:27 pm

I would say we need an "old head" bringing in at the back, there must be an old pro somewhere, sitting in the reserves that wants a game, ( I can't think of one, but I'm not a scout, we have scouts at the club, there must be someone worth looking at).
That said, we have a goalkeeper problem, that I believe needs addressing more urgently. Neither Lumley or Kelly give our defence any confidence, surely, if you're a defender and you have a weak keeper behind you it's not going to help.
If we can't get any players in, then at the very least we need to get in a defensive coach that can work with what we have.
Either way, the manager has to stop the rot in the next couple of games or I see the fans turning and it will get ugly as we enter the relegation battle that I guess a fair few of us were expecting back when the season started.
It's a pity, because up to about 6 games ago, it was developing into a rather pleasant season..... What's gone wrong?

Giorgio
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Re: A new defender?

Post by Giorgio » Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:12 pm

carrotstick wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:27 pm
It's a pity, because up to about 6 games ago, it was developing into a rather pleasant season..... What's gone wrong?
...up to 6 games ago, when we were 1-0 and then 2-1 up vs Reading...we were joint top leader with WBA... :roll: :roll: :roll: