The case for the defence

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Re: The case for the defence

Post by Esox Lucius » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:50 am

Greyhound wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:46 pm
We play out from the back now - get over it. Watching the Premier League last weekend, every single team takes what would once have been considered crazy risks to pass the ball to the half-way line. Even the top four teams were making howlers. We are so far behind other teams at our level that a bit of pain is inevitable, but we need to go through it.
Exactly this. First signs of adversity and it has to be all change with a lot of fans.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:45 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:50 am
Greyhound wrote:
We play out from the back now - get over it. Watching the Premier League last weekend, every single team takes what would once have been considered crazy risks to pass the ball to the half-way line. Even the top four teams were making howlers. We are so far behind other teams at our level that a bit of pain is inevitable, but we need to go through it.
Exactly this. First signs of adversity and it has to be all change with a lot of fans.
I wouldn't say it all has to change but clearly some things have to in order to stop the alarming rate that goals are conceded. I would have thought that was fairly obvious.

n22hoop
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by n22hoop » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:40 pm

dm wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:45 pm
Esox Lucius wrote:
Greyhound wrote:
I wouldn't say it all has to change but clearly some things have to in order to stop the alarming rate that goals are conceded. I would have thought that was fairly obvious.
I'd agree. We play some attractive football and can, on occasions, score goals.That's all positive. Leaking goals is not a new problem, it's been an issue all season and it appears to be getting worse. People were calling this out long before shipping 4 against Forest.
"Football is the love of form. A spectacle that scarcely leaves a trace in the memory and does not enrich or impoverish knowledge. This is its appeal : it is exciting and empty." Mario Vargas Llosa

White Duck
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by White Duck » Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:07 pm

dm wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:45 pm
Esox Lucius wrote:
Greyhound wrote:
It is obvious to most sensible people and I'm sure its obvious to Mark Warburton, the coaching team and the players. Working out how to stop letting in at least two goals every game is quite important really.
Lex Talionis........

Giorgio
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Giorgio » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:41 pm

..and I would like to remind that the real nightmare were the last 10 minutes, when we conceded 3 goals, basically collapsing....
before that we tried and we had a couple of chances where we could have even scored (Scowen header and the free kick that their keeper almost missed)

WA Hoop
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by WA Hoop » Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:59 am

Despite the ridiculous frailty of our defence, had we (as maybe we should have done) beaten Reading & Boro and taken a point at Craven Cottage we would still be knocking on the door of the play-off spots. Don't get me wrong, our current form is alarming, at least on paper, but small margins can make a huge difference particularly to a team that is still in the process of gelling.

For some reason, I've always considered November as a notoriously bad month for the R's. Maybe it's something to do with the clocks going back?!

Safety = 26 points required from 28 games...not time to reach for the panic button just yet. :wink:
Question everything.

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:31 pm

Just watched Sheff. Weds, 3rd goal vs Charlton. Every bit as bad as the worst we have done all season. We are doing OK with what we have, it won't get us promoted but hopefully better than three other teams. I am still enjoying our attacking play, although it looks as though we have gone a bit negative in team selection today against Derby.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.