Just Back...

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

LewiHoop
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Just Back...

Post by LewiHoop » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:57 pm

Well that was abysmal! I am never going to the League Cup again.

It was the same tonight like it's been in the 3 first opening 45 mins against Bristol City away, Swansea and Wigan. No energy, no movement and sideways and backwards passing. No cutting edge again and tonight the same tippy tappy rubbish which got us nowhere for 90 mins.

Don't get me wrong i want us to play good football but WINNING is a habit. You have yet another manager say the same old sh*t about winning mentality then with 15minutes to go after they just scored a penalty he brings on Dom Ball a defensive midfielder instead of Hugil when Mlakar is not only poor and can't link the play but was virtually isolated the whole match and went on to miss a sitter from 8 yards.

Baffling substitutions again if you want to apparently want to win a game he took off Chair who looked our best player after an hour when he should have stayed in. It's a game MW looked like he didn't want to win with the subs.

Kelly - 4 - Woeful Distribution
Kane - 5 - Tried Hard no support whatsoever from pugh
Barbet - 5 - Not convinced
Leistener - Won everything in the air. Had a good game up until the penalty last 5 mins was knackered and skinned for their 2nd goal - 4
Manning - 6 - Not bad - Tried hard - Good feet
Chair - 6 - Decent
Owens - 5 - was average
Smith - 3 - not good enough to be near a first team yet
Pugh - 4 - Don't get the hype. He was poor and gave no support for Kane.
Osayi - Samuel - 4 - Ineefective and looked lightweight
Mlakar- 4 - Can't see him pulling up any trees

Overall really disappointed and as for our fans in the paddocks - why come to a cup game and sit there and be so silent? Portsmouth fans absolutely bossed the noise. It was like a library - they were right!!! If we don't create an atmosphere these results will happen.

Ultimately- we got what we deserved and they outplayed us.

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Re: Just Back...

Post by westlondonlalala » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:09 pm

LewiHoop wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:57 pm

It was the same tonight like it's been in the 3 first opening 45 mins against Bristol City away, Swansea and Wigan. No energy, no movement and sideways and backwards passing. No cutting edge again and tonight the same tippy tappy rubbish which got us nowhere for 90 mins.

Don't get me wrong i want us to play good football but WINNING is a habit. You have yet another manager say the same old sh*t about winning mentality then with 15minutes to go after they just scored a penalty he brings on Dom Ball a defensive midfielder instead of Hugil when Mlakar is not only poor and can't link the play but was virtually isolated the whole match and went on to miss a sitter from 8 yards.

Baffling substitutions again if you want to apparently want to win a game he took off Chair who looked our best player after an hour when he should have stayed in. It's a game MW looked like he didn't want to win with the subs.

Leistener - Won everything in the air. Had a good game up until the penalty last 5 mins was knackered and skinned for their 2nd goal - 4
Chair - 6 - Decent
Owens - 5 - was average

Overall really disappointed and as for our fans in the paddocks - why come to a cup game and sit there and be so silent? Portsmouth fans absolutely bossed the noise. It was like a library - they were right!!! If we don't create an atmosphere these results will happen.

So just to clarify you’ve basically slated the performance, said the evening was abysmal & your never going to a cup game again but then accused the fans of not being vocal & actually blaming them for the result to a degree for not making an atmosphere.

Please forgive me if I’ve misunderstood but what did you expect from the fans if by your own words the performance was so bad? Sounds to me like they didn’t have a lot to get enthusiastic about.

White Duck
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by White Duck » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:13 pm

Portsmouth were always going to out-sing us with our loudest stand closed and the dross on the pitch ruined the atmosphere further.
Lex Talionis........

LewiHoop
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by LewiHoop » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:22 pm

westlondonlalala wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:09 pm
LewiHoop wrote:

Chair - 6 - Decent
Owens - 5 - was average

So just to clarify you’ve basically slated the performance, said the evening was abysmal & your never going to a cup game again but then accused the fans of not being vocal & actually blaming them for the result to a degree for not making an atmosphere.

Please forgive me if I’ve misunderstood but what did you expect from the fans if by your own words the performance was so bad? Sounds to me like they didn’t have a lot to get enthusiastic about.
From the very start the Portsmoth fans were all over it. I would expect the fans to atleast make a noise or respond!! Were you there? It was silent and that's got to transpire on to the players.

We got what we deserved from the very off tonight because it was flat all round and then too was the performance.

I go to the cups every year without fail. So i feel i'm entitled to slag the competition off. Do you think that a club that is in dire need of cash flow can't put a decent cup run together and go for it?

All i'm saying is don't come out and speak about a winning mentality then make 7 changes. If anything it breed negativity.

This Cup competition specifically is on it's way out imo.

LewiHoop
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by LewiHoop » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:25 pm

White Duck wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:13 pm
Portsmouth were always going to out-sing us with our loudest stand closed and the dross on the pitch ruined the atmosphere further.
I get that too. Just our largest stand can't back up the noise when we are getting absolutely slated. It just hurts losing again to a league one side.

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:37 pm

LewiHoop wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:22 pm
westlondonlalala wrote:
LewiHoop wrote:

Chair - 6 - Decent
Owens - 5 - was average

From the very start the Portsmoth fans were all over it. I would expect the fans to atleast make a noise or respond!! Were you there? It was silent and that's got to transpire on to the players.

We got what we deserved from the very off tonight because it was flat all round and then too was the performance.

I go to the cups every year without fail. So i feel i'm entitled to slag the competition off. Do you think that a club that is in dire need of cash flow can't put a decent cup run together and go for it?

All i'm saying is don't come out and speak about a winning mentality then make 7 changes. If anything it breed negativity.

I turned down a free ticket mainly because of what you said, the early cup games are always the same bit of a glorified exhibition game, South Africa rd I’m not keen on does your knees in & not the same atmosphere as E rd.

Tbh palace drew 0-0 with league two, Bournemouth drew 0-0 with league two, Norwich lost to league two, like you say the comp is on its way out, it’s way down on most clubs ambitions & if tonight’s reports are anything to go by i don’t blame the fans for turning it into a library it’s a two way thing the team have gotta show a bit aswell.

LewiHoop
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by LewiHoop » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:50 pm

westlondonlalala wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:37 pm
LewiHoop wrote:
westlondonlalala wrote:

I turned down a free ticket mainly because of what you said, the early cup games are always the same bit of a glorified exhibition game, South Africa rd I’m not keen on does your knees in & not the same atmosphere as E rd.

Tbh palace drew 0-0 with league two, Bournemouth drew 0-0 with league two, Norwich lost to league two, like you say the comp is on its way out, it’s way down on most clubs ambitions & if tonight’s reports are anything to go by i don’t blame the fans for turning it into a library it’s a two way thing the team have gotta show a bit aswell.
westlondonlalala wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:37 pm
LewiHoop wrote:
westlondonlalala wrote:

The difference is they don't need an EFL cup run. They have cup finals every week in the Prem and trying to stay up for the 100+ million quid so i get it.

This club is crying out for for a cup run and money!!! Sorry but the fans play an integral part of home games and especially in any cup to gee uo the team and there was absolutely no atmosphere what so ever.

Hopefully we can get something at Hillsborough and get some consistency in the team.

John in Hemel
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by John in Hemel » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:49 pm

I agree with MW's assessment that the boys were good for the first 20 /25 mins but PFC grew into the game we fell out of it.
The turning point was chair going off.
The young lad up front was out of his depth .
Thought Eze's goal looked good imho
Ah well

Crabsandwich
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by Crabsandwich » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:15 am

Chair rolled his ankle when he was taken out over on the Ellerslie touchline late in the first half. He ran it off but was almost certainly taken off as a precaution.

LewiHoop
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by LewiHoop » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:42 am

John in Hemel wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:49 pm
I agree with MW's assessment that the boys were good for the first 20 /25 mins but PFC grew into the game we fell out of it.
The turning point was chair going off.
The young lad up front was out of his depth .
Thought Eze's goal looked good imho
Ah well
We had more possession but fact is we had 2 shots on target in the first half out of 3 in total. So for all the tippy tappy we weren't effective enough.

He also said Liam Kelly's distribution was good for the first 25 minutes. It was woeful from the 1st minute and nearly cost us. So i don't particularly agree with him in this instance.

Completely agree re Chair. He's a class player.

ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:06 am

Mark Warburton hopefully learnt a valuable lesson last night. It is a lesson most of his predecessors had to learn, though few showed they had picked up on the crucial information.

There were seven changes to the starting 11 from Saturday. It rarely (if ever) works well when we make so many changes. Even though the team on paper looks good enough, the results in both cup competitions over many years say they aren't.

If we want to progress in the cups .... Start with the strongest 11 possible (particularly if that's on the back of a good performance/ result). If you want to use squad rotation - no more than two changes, and if it's going well use the subs to blood some fringe/ squad players.

We have a poor cup record in recent years, primarily because the manager - insert any one of Holloway, Warnock, Hughes, JFH, Ramsey, MacLaren, Redknapp etc etc. And now Warburton, made too many changes thinking, they'll be fine - we are only playing a league 1 or league 2 team.

The results show the folly of that one. Mr Warburton, please don't make the same mistake in January.
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

UxbridgeR
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by UxbridgeR » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:35 am

And so it begins.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

Mr Beef
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Mr Beef » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:43 am

LewiHoop wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:50 pm
The difference is they don't need an EFL cup run. They have cup finals every week in the Prem and trying to stay up for the 100+ million quid so i get it.
For me, everything that is wrong with modern football, since the forming of the premier League and the arrival of Sky changed the game completely, summed up in one sentence.

White Duck
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by White Duck » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:59 am

ZENITH R wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:06 am
Mark Warburton hopefully learnt a valuable lesson last night. It is a lesson most of his predecessors had to learn, though few showed they had picked up on the crucial information.

There were seven changes to the starting 11 from Saturday. It rarely (if ever) works well when we make so many changes. Even though the team on paper looks good enough, the results in both cup competitions over many years say they aren't.

If we want to progress in the cups .... Start with the strongest 11 possible (particularly if that's on the back of a good performance/ result). If you want to use squad rotation - no more than two changes, and if it's going well use the subs to blood some fringe/ squad players.

We have a poor cup record in recent years, primarily because the manager - insert any one of Holloway, Warnock, Hughes, JFH, Ramsey, MacLaren, Redknapp etc etc. And now Warburton, made too many changes thinking, they'll be fine - we are only playing a league 1 or league 2 team.

The results show the folly of that one. Mr Warburton, please don't make the same mistake in January.
Yeah too many changes but the main issue was Mlakar as the only striker: should've started with Wells or Hugill. BOS normally stars in cup games against lower league opposition but last night he was not involved at all and seems to be off his game to me. Smith hasn't shown enough for us yet and was poor in all aspects. Dominic Ball offers literally nothing going forward and should only be brought on if we need to hold on to a lead and need an extra body at the back. We need Cameron and Amos back in the centre.

The only benefit last night was hopefully Warburton learning that certain players should be amongst the first names on the team sheet (Manning and Chair) whilst others are back up players at best (Smith, Ball, Mlakar).
Lex Talionis........

White Duck
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by White Duck » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:00 am

UxbridgeR wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:35 am
And so it begins.
What was your assessment of the game and performance?
Lex Talionis........