Just Back On The Island...

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

KildarePete
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Re: Just Back On The Island...

Post by KildarePete » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:51 pm

Ramsgate_Hoop wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:46 am
There was a move in the second half against Wigan that Wells put narrowly wide that would have given the Eze goal a run for its money. It was a lovely team move and Wells was really gutted he couldn't finish it off.
Yes - it was a lovely team effort that started in defense with many phases - it would have been brilliant if Wells could have converted it

n22hoop
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by n22hoop » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:22 pm

White Duck wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:04 pm
Esox Lucius wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:11 pm
dm wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:58 pm

Your defence of the language you use "...they are just words..." could equally be used by those you are 'calling out'. Abuse on social media is about offensive language used against others and is wrong in all circumstances.
It is NOT about offensive language, it is about personal vilification of the person being attacked. Invective doesn't have to have to contain OED defined swear words to be repulsive does it? "I hope you and family are horribly killed in a car accident" doesn't contain any swear words but it most certainly isn't inoffensive is it? Abuse on social media is not about offensive language used against others but about the invective and the intent to harm the other person verbally. It doesn't need swearing to accomplish that. Some comments I read are even more invidious than the ill wishing in the example above.
You really do lack self awareness don't you? Perhaps you should take a look at the amount of abuse on social media that you yourself hand out to all and sundry including footballers and football managers.
I don't believe it's self awareness he lacks so much as emotional intelligence. He has an abject inability to accept opinions other than his own. It must be terribly dull to be around. It's certainly boring to read online.
"Football is the love of form. A spectacle that scarcely leaves a trace in the memory and does not enrich or impoverish knowledge. This is its appeal : it is exciting and empty." Mario Vargas Llosa

Soops
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by Soops » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:29 pm

Anyway.... aside from the squabbling. As a long-time resident of the Board, but infrequent poster - great to see one of your interesting and insightful ‘just backs’ again SM!

White Duck
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by White Duck » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:43 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:28 pm
White Duck wrote:
Esox Lucius wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:11 pm

It is NOT about offensive language, it is about personal vilification of the person being attacked. Invective doesn't have to have to contain OED defined swear words to be repulsive does it? "I hope you and family are horribly killed in a car accident" doesn't contain any swear words but it most certainly isn't inoffensive is it? Abuse on social media is not about offensive language used against others but about the invective and the intent to harm the other person verbally. It doesn't need swearing to accomplish that. Some comments I read are even more invidious than the ill wishing in the example above.
You really do lack self awareness don't you? Perhaps you should take a look at the amount of abuse on social media that you yourself hand out to some including a footballer and a football manager.
Oh so you have written countless examples of disgusting and personal abuse about ONE player and ONE manager so that's acceptable then? Is everyone allowed to abuse and vilify up to two by your standards? Have a long look in the mirror before getting on your soapbox and posting unacceptable language and abuse on here as no-one wants to read it.
Lex Talionis........

Satch
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:48 pm

Which player has EL been slagging off on social media? HR, well i'm not going to hold that against him.

Can't say i'm a fan of Scowen but no one should have to deal with shite from fans like that to the point of having to stop using SM (wouldn't be a bad thing if fewer players did imo)

Giorgio
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Giorgio » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:11 pm

..well...IMO abusing someone on social media, may be a player or whoever, is an act of pure cowardice, staying hidden behind a screen/keyboard....
I would say...."Come and say that in my face....if you can...."....guess that 99.999999% of these "lions" would melt like HB IceCream in the sun... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Devonranger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Devonranger » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:15 pm

Must admit I posted a couple of tweets in response to the "fans" behaviour here - absolutely no need and how they expect a player to improve performance other than in a positive environment with supportive behaviours is beyond me.

Contributes to the explanation of why our game still drifts behind others - the ill considered input of knuckle draggers who believe being a customer entitles them to behave like this in the direction of players.

As a club, we are not best placed to attract talent currently and we can well do without this type of fan who will create an environment that players do not wish to sign up for.

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:06 pm

White Duck wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:43 pm
Esox Lucius wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:28 pm
White Duck wrote:

You really do lack self awareness don't you? Perhaps you should take a look at the amount of abuse on social media that you yourself hand out to some including a footballer and a football manager.
Oh so you have written countless examples of disgusting and personal abuse about ONE player and ONE manager so that's acceptable then? Is everyone allowed to abuse and vilify up to two by your standards? Have a long look in the mirror before getting on your soapbox and posting unacceptable language and abuse on here as no-one wants to read it.
AFAIK I have never abused you, had plenty of ding dongs with polar opposite views but I respect that you have your POV and I am trying to point out where I am coming from. I personally abused Lala because of his (at the time unremitting and unqualified criticism of QPR players) but I acknowledge that his posts now are more considered and circumspect and I hold that uppermost when posting with him. Personal abuse of Barton and Redknapp is entirely acceptable as they have earned it over the years. If you can think of any worse behaved and morally bankrupt players/ managers then chip in, I won't be arguing with you.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

Systemsguy
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Systemsguy » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:17 pm

Never quite understood the naked hatred you still have for both Barton and Redknapp....

Your in a minority regarding 'arrry.... He was popular enough with the public to win the get me out of here jungle show....

Barton? He maybe a plum but he always seemingly gave a 100% on the pitch.. good enough for me ....

There both long gone.... Let it go

I do hold one grudge I'll be honest but it's an agent.... Kia Joobaran

That mam was a disaster for this club and parted a fool from his (and our) money while he was associated with us...
2019/2020.... Keep Calm, no matter the season, we'll follow our team.....

Keith
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by Keith » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:22 pm

"From the moment we went 1-0 ahead, there was only one side in it........"

I assume that was a typo. Otherwise I really was looking a t a different game!

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:04 pm

Keith wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:22 pm
"From the moment we went 1-0 ahead, there was only one side in it........"

I assume that was a typo. Otherwise I really was looking a t a different game!
Some people use different methods to get them through the games, who are you to judge Keith? :D :D :D
How are you doing? are you getting to any games this season?
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

Satch
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:58 pm

Systemsguy wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:17 pm
Never quite understood the naked hatred you still have for both Barton and Redknapp....

Your in a minority regarding 'arrry.... He was popular enough with the public to win the get me out of here jungle show....

Barton? He maybe a plum but he always seemingly gave a 100% on the pitch.. good enough for me ....

There both long gone.... Let it go

I do hold one grudge I'll be honest but it's an agent.... Kia Joobaran

That mam was a disaster for this club and parted a fool from his (and our) money while he was associated with us...
Should we be influenced by people that watch TV programmes about Harry Rednack in the jungle? I have it on good authority he can be a very nice man. I also believe he made no genuine effort to improve the football club, care not if we failed and was only concerned by his own personal enrichment (interpret that as you see fit). Barton was a tosser and a lot of his effort was invariably trying to atone for the results of his own hubris but he did graft. What he represents in our history angers me more than the person.

deadendjob
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by deadendjob » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:15 pm

Thanks for the right up and insight as always Saf

Extended highlights from the game here

I must say, for the first goal, the choice of player marking was surprising. I didn't see the game, so I was relying on the highlights to get an idea of what happened. When the camera panned and I saw young Manning marking a taller, much stronger player I was scratching my head. Needless to say, Kipre pushed him aside and scored the goal.
Surely we should be getting similar sized/strength players marking their counterparts.

jimjams
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by jimjams » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:15 am

It's very strange defending, but I think it's a kind of zonal system. Or an attempt at one.

On 5 minutes you can see how Chair uses Pugh's dummy run and minimizes backswing before shooting to catch the keeper unawares. Looks like they might have done that in training a few times.