Just Back On The Island...

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

SM
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Just Back On The Island...

Post by SM » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:51 pm

Well, another very good afternoon in W12.

I’ll be the first to hold my hands up and say how concerned I was for where we were headed as the season began. Obviously it’s still early days, but I can’t help but admire what Warburton is putting together here.

From reading fans comments from his previous clubs, the biggest criticism and concern labelled at Warburton was that whilst the football was very good - there was never a plan B.

Yesterday, the introduction of Leistner at HT, with a flat back 3, and pushing on Manning and Rangel at full back was an absolute master stroke. It totally flipped the game on its head and Wigan just couldn’t handle us.

From the moment we went 1-0 ahead, there was only one side in it. And we ran out very, very deserved winners in the end.

Paul Cook refusing to comment on the game post-match told you everything about how dominant our overall display was.

On a side note, it was great to see Akos Buzsaky back on the pitch at half time, and he got a fantastic reception and went on to say how his time at QPR was the happiest of his career. With the game effectively over, the last few minutes played out with a chorus of his name sung over and over again.

Player Ratings

Lumley - Shaky. He was all over the place for the opener, was fortunate to be let off with a cross come shot that hit bar. Flapped at a number of crosses and just didn’t give me any confidence whatsoever. He was far better in the second half with the dominant Leistner sat in-front of him. Made a couple of decent saves, particularly from a Wigan freekick that would have pulled them level late on. Distribution was suspect on occasion.

Manning - Not his best game, but a relatively solid performance. Again, it was no surprise to see another goal come from his side, albeit with the help of some poor defending on Wigan’s part. He does put a devilishly good cross in, and offers so much more than Bidwell IMO.

Barbet - As above, relatively solid. Wigan threat became virtually non-existent in the second half and didn’t have a great deal to do in fairness. Sloppy in possession, like many others in the first half.

Hall - Identical to my feelings on Barnet above. Not good, not bad. Average performance.

Rangel - I was surprised to see him start ahead of Kane yesterday. He tired as the game went on, but did help keep a cool head, particularly in the first half when it became a little fractious.

Pugh - Very clever player. His composure on the ball is just outstanding and his use of the ball is excellent. I think there’s a lot more to come from him following on from his superb cameo performance against Huddersfield. Really like the look of this signing.

Scowen - Really struggling. With each passing performance, he’s rapidly falling down pecking order at the moment. Needs to sort himself out because he’ll be lucky to make the bench, let alone the starting eleven on current form. Think he’s dropped at least one absolute clanger every game this season. He did it against Stoke, he did against Huddersfield, he did against Bristol, and he did it again yesterday. It appears he deactivated his twitter account today, I hope it wasn’t due to any abuse he’s been receiving.

Ball - He had a very important role yesterday, and defensively he did a decent job. He was caught dwelling on the ball more than once, and doesn’t have anywhere as much time on the ball as he probably did up in Scotland which he’ll need to adjust to. Much prefer Cameron in there based on this performance.

Chair - Quality. What a terrific little footballer he is. Hit an absolute rocket in the first half which the keeper didn’t even move for... which agonisingly hammered into the side netting. Fully deserved his place, and will be difficult to drop based on that performance. Was on the end of some very rough treatment, which positively didn’t appear to faze him one bit.

Eze - What a talent. Enjoy him while you can. He was absolutely mesmerising yesterday. Gliding past the opposition almost at will, clever, cute passing and just a joy to watch. His assist yesterday was just exquisite. The first proper number 10 we’ve had that can genuinely light up Loftus Road since Taarabt. Also worked extremely hard off the ball. Man of the match.

Wells - Looks razor sharp to me. He looks fit, he looks fast, and he seems to have that instinct and eye for goal that he lost towards the end of last season. His pace caused them real issues, particularly towards the end of the game. Almost scored a beauty after great link up, but shot arrowed wide.

Hugill - What a howler. To his credit, made up for the miss of the season with a beautiful curled finish around the keeper. Held the ball up very well when he came on too. Still think we need more players around him, as he is a handful.

Leistner - I still believe he’s overall the best CB at the club. Totally changed the dynamic of the game with his introduction. Won a flurry of headers all within the first few minutes of being introduced, and bullied Wigan from there onwards. Will feel hard done by to not be starting regularly, but will definitely have given MW some thinking to do.

Smith - No time to make a real impact, but made a couple of decent challenges and definitely added legs when we were tiring.

In summary, I have to say that I genuinely can’t remember the last time that any manager has whet my appetite for QPR as much as Warburton.

I’ve craved seeing a QPR side play with this level of swagger and confidence for a long, long time. Taking away that one off special season under Warnock, you would probably have to go back to the purple patch under Magilton or perhaps the Gigi De Canio times to a period that I’ve had so much fun watching QPR.

It’s not without its faults, and there is a danger of overplaying on occasion... But it’s SO fluid, its SO easy on the eye, and for the first time in what feels like forever... I’m completely absorbed in watching us again.

I don’t have any expectations for this season at all, but I think for once, we may well have appointed a manager that can truly put a smile back on our faces.

Warburtons Blue Army!
Isle Of Wight R'ssssssssss

patrickqpr
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Re: Just Back On The Island...

Post by patrickqpr » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:09 pm

Many thanks for the write up.

If the football is as entertaining as it was under De Canio then I look forward to popping over for a game or two.

Giorgio
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Giorgio » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:29 am

patrickqpr wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:09 pm

If the football is as entertaining as it was under De Canio then I look forward to popping over for a game or two.

...the difference with the recent seasons is that now we play football....we pass the ball, create and go for the goal....not simply hoof
the ball up front hoping to maintain possession... :roll: :roll:

I could not see Gigi de Canio's days directly, but W is giving us some entertainment and something to be proud of.

I agree with the comments on the players above, especially on three things that I had pointed out last week.
Chair must start being a lively, creative player that can give problems to any defense.
BFG must start too, being a strong, solid and expert CB, our best in that role.
Hugill (or any other striker) cannot play up front alone. He is good but playing alone (as I saw him in Bristol and home to Swansea) he is always surrounded by too many defenders. Two strikers keep the defense busy and open it.

SM
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by SM » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:42 am

patrickqpr wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:09 pm

I really don’t think you’ll be disappointed.

That Eze goal from Stoke a few weeks back keeps popping up on my timeline and social media, but we’re building moves and play like that multiple times during our games, we’re just lacking the end product.

Considering the high turnover of players, I’m amazed how quickly they’ve gelled together. They look like they’ve been playing together for years.
Isle Of Wight R'ssssssssss

Giorgio
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Giorgio » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:18 am

SM wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:42 am
That Eze goal from Stoke a few weeks back keeps popping up on my timeline and social media, but we’re building moves and play like that multiple times during our games, we’re just lacking the end product.
...he did something similar also at Bristol, in the first half when the result was still 0-0 , but missed the final touch....it would have surely
changed the entire match if finalized....

Ramsgate_Hoop
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by Ramsgate_Hoop » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:46 am

There was a move in the second half against Wigan that Wells put narrowly wide that would have given the Eze goal a run for its money. It was a lovely team move and Wells was really gutted he couldn't finish it off.

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:01 am

"Scowen - Really struggling. With each passing performance, he’s rapidly falling down pecking order at the moment. Needs to sort himself out because he’ll be lucky to make the bench, let alone the starting eleven on current form. Think he’s dropped at least one absolute clanger every game this season. He did it against Stoke, he did against Huddersfield, he did against Bristol, and he did it again yesterday. It appears he deactivated his twitter account today, I hope it wasn’t due to any abuse he’s been receiving."

It was exactly because of abuse he was receiving. One of the cünts is Rangers Til I Die 86. I would ask that if anyone sees any example of our players being abused either online or at games that you call them out on it. These people are a cancer in our club and think they can get away with it because "it's just banter" etc. it's NOT banter it's abuse and it needs to stop. It's not that long ago that Eze spoke on Talksport about the abuse he received on social media and still people think it is alright to carry on being utter cünts to our players behind the anonymity of a keyboard or buried in amongst the faces in a crowd.
If you wouldn't say it to their faces then don't say it at all.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:26 am

Esox Lucius wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:01 am
"Scowen - Really struggling. With each passing performance, he’s rapidly falling down pecking order at the moment. Needs to sort himself out because he’ll be lucky to make the bench, let alone the starting eleven on current form. Think he’s dropped at least one absolute clanger every game this season. He did it against Stoke, he did against Huddersfield, he did against Bristol, and he did it again yesterday. It appears he deactivated his twitter account today, I hope it wasn’t due to any abuse he’s been receiving."

It was exactly because of abuse he was receiving. One of the cünts is Rangers Til I Die 86. I would ask that if anyone sees any example of our players being abused either online or at games that you call them out on it. These people are a cancer in our club and think they can get away with it because "it's just banter" etc. it's NOT banter it's abuse and it needs to stop. It's not that long ago that Eze spoke on Talksport about the abuse he received on social media and still people think it is alright to carry on being utter cünts to our players behind the anonymity of a keyboard or buried in amongst the faces in a crowd.
You rightly point out that abuse on social media is totally unacceptable. But, the language you use here potentially perpetuates the practice. Why do it?

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:52 am

dm wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:26 am
Esox Lucius wrote:

You rightly point out that abuse on social media is totally unacceptable. But, the language you use here potentially perpetuates the practice. Why do it?
I swear, they are just words, I also have lots of other words I use too when I am dealing with comments such as yours which are not abusive and merely critical. If you look back through my posting history (not a request) you'll see that when dealing with criticism of my opinion or somesuch I try to back that opinion up with reasons and the logic behind it and will argue it 'til I am blue in the face, not literally, but on the very, very rare occasions I get something wrong I own it. When it comes to people slagging off players of my club in an abusive, ignorant and derogatory manner then they will get called out by me. I am not an overly confrontational despite what you may think but if someone starts acting like a cünt then I will say something, and I will say it to their face too if I am at a game.

White Duck
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by White Duck » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:37 pm

[/quote]
I swear, they are just words, I also have lots of other words I use too when I am dealing with comments such as yours which are not abusive and merely critical. If you look back through my posting history (not a request) you'll see that when dealing with criticism of my opinion or somesuch I try to back that opinion up with reasons and the logic behind it and will argue it 'til I am blue in the face, not literally, but on the very, very rare occasions I get something wrong I own it. When it comes to people slagging off players of my club in an abusive, ignorant and derogatory manner then they will get called out by me. I am not an overly confrontational despite what you may think but if someone starts acting like a cünt then I will say something, and I will say it to their face too if I am at a game.
[/quote]

You couldn't have explained what kind of a person you are any better.
Lex Talionis........

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:50 pm

White Duck wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:37 pm
[/quote]

You couldn't have explained what kind of a person you are any better.
[/quote]

You're welcome.

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:58 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:52 am
dm wrote:
Esox Lucius wrote:

Your defence of the language you use "...they are just words..." could equally be used by those you are 'calling out'. Abuse on social media is about offensive language used against others and is wrong in all circumstances.

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:11 pm

dm wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:58 pm
Esox Lucius wrote:
dm wrote:

Your defence of the language you use "...they are just words..." could equally be used by those you are 'calling out'. Abuse on social media is about offensive language used against others and is wrong in all circumstances.
It is NOT about offensive language, it is about personal vilification of the person being attacked. Invective doesn't have to have to contain OED defined swear words to be repulsive does it? "I hope you and family are horribly killed in a car accident" doesn't contain any swear words but it most certainly isn't inoffensive is it? Abuse on social media is not about offensive language used against others but about the invective and the intent to harm the other person verbally. It doesn't need swearing to accomplish that. Some comments I read are even more invidious than the ill wishing in the example above.

White Duck
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by White Duck » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:04 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:11 pm
dm wrote:
Esox Lucius wrote:

It is NOT about offensive language, it is about personal vilification of the person being attacked. Invective doesn't have to have to contain OED defined swear words to be repulsive does it? "I hope you and family are horribly killed in a car accident" doesn't contain any swear words but it most certainly isn't inoffensive is it? Abuse on social media is not about offensive language used against others but about the invective and the intent to harm the other person verbally. It doesn't need swearing to accomplish that. Some comments I read are even more invidious than the ill wishing in the example above.
You really do lack self awareness don't you? Perhaps you should take a look at the amount of abuse on social media that you yourself hand out to all and sundry including footballers and football managers.
Lex Talionis........

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:28 pm

White Duck wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:04 pm
Esox Lucius wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:11 pm
dm wrote:

You really do lack self awareness don't you? Perhaps you should take a look at the amount of abuse on social media that you yourself hand out to some including a footballer and a football manager.