Eze - from the BBC gossip page

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Re: Eze - from the BBC gossip page

Post by westlondonlalala » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:57 pm

Whatever the truth the fact is we sold a striker that had just scored 18 goals in a premier league season for 4m.

If I remember correctly it was sh*t or bust sell him for decent money & have no chance of bouncing back up or keep him & go for promotion, what did we go and do we did neither & achieved neither, we sold him in the January.

Anyway this is all old ground, I’m hoping we are on the right path now, young hungry squad & no more high earners, I’d like to think all the lessons in the book have been learned by our board now but would I be surprised if we somehow managed to make a pigs ear out of selling a potential star like Eze in the future, No I wouldn’t.

QPR_John
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by QPR_John » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:58 am

westlondonlalala wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:57 pm
Whatever the truth the fact is we sold a striker that had just scored 18 goals in a premier league season for 4m.

If I remember correctly it was sh*t or bust sell him for decent money & have no chance of bouncing back up or keep him & go for promotion, what did we go and do we did neither & achieved neither, we sold him in the January.

Anyway this is all old ground, I’m hoping we are on the right path now, young hungry squad & no more high earners, I’d like to think all the lessons in the book have been learned by our board now but would I be surprised if we somehow managed to make a pigs ear out of selling a potential star like Eze in the future, No I wouldn’t.
Should that alternative have read

"or keep him & go for promotion, fail and get nothing at the end of the season"

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:30 am

QPR_John wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:58 am
westlondonlalala wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:57 pm

Should that alternative have read

"or keep him & go for promotion, fail and get nothing at the end of the season"
Who knows he got 10 in 16 before he left & we were in a good position, that’s why it’s called a gamble you either risk it for the jackpot or cash in at the start of the season, we did neither we just ended up selling an 18 goal premier league striker for 4m.

UxbridgeR
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by UxbridgeR » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:44 pm

westlondonlalala wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:30 am
Who knows he got 10 in 16 before he left & we were in a good position, that’s why it’s called a gamble you either risk it for the jackpot or cash in at the start of the season, we did neither we just ended up selling an 18 goal premier league striker for 4m.
We weren't in a good position. We hadn't won in 7 games after JFH took over, and were in the bottom third of the table.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:01 pm

UxbridgeR wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:44 pm
westlondonlalala wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:30 am
We weren't in a good position. We hadn't won in 7 games after JFH took over, and were in the bottom third of the table.
There’s always one that has to go and ruin a good story :wink:

n22hoop
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by n22hoop » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:42 pm

Eze been called up to the England U21 squad now. We're going to struggle to keep this chap.
"Football is the love of form. A spectacle that scarcely leaves a trace in the memory and does not enrich or impoverish knowledge. This is its appeal : it is exciting and empty." Mario Vargas Llosa

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:17 pm

Shodipo signs until 2022 with an option for a further year. Also good news, this is what we should be doing. Hopefully if clubs start seriously sniffing then players like Eze, Chair, Manning, BOS etc. need to be offered new 5 year contracts with buy out clauses before the end of the year.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

Don Gibbons
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by Don Gibbons » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:38 pm

n22hoop wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:42 pm
Eze been called up to the England U21 squad now. We're going to struggle to keep this chap.
Two opposite ways to look at this news:

1. The squad is ABSENT of great players who have any worth to potential bidders.

2. The squad is FULL of great players who have great worth to potential bidders.

We should be happier with #2 rather than #1, surely? After all, until revenues exceed costs, we need to keep selling players to avoid the fate of Bury FC.

the big IP
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by the big IP » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:02 pm

Isn't that what we were all about, bring them through the youth set up, sell them off for a big profit, then another one is there from the youth to come in.

Like a conveyor belt

QPR_John
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by QPR_John » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:22 am

Don Gibbons wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:38 pm
n22hoop wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:42 pm
Two opposite ways to look at this news:

1. The squad is ABSENT of great players who have any worth to potential bidders.

2. The squad is FULL of great players who have great worth to potential bidders.

We should be happier with #2 rather than #1, surely? After all, until revenues exceed costs, we need to keep selling players to avoid the fate of Bury FC.

Do you honestly think our owners will reduce us to the state of Bury. Its possible anything is possible but evidence suggest pretty unlikely. Our financial position is down to FFP not the owners.

ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:55 pm

It's interesting FFP played no part in the financial woes of either Bury or Bolton. Neither club has been guilty of chasing the dream by spending lots of cash they didn't have to get into the Premier League.

However, the Football League seem to have been less than diligent when checking out that the guy who bought Bury for £1 (yes One Pound) was a fit and proper person to do so.

FFP needs a radical overhaul, because it clearly isn't working at any level.
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

jimjams
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by jimjams » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:07 pm

the big IP wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:02 pm
Isn't that what we were all about, bring them through the youth set up, sell them off for a big profit, then another one is there from the youth to come in.

Like a conveyor belt
It's what we tell ourselves, but I can't remember us actually doing this. What we did do a lot was pick up relatively unfancied players and turn them into ones that performed among the best in England.

bigbobb
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by bigbobb » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:11 pm

It's interesting FFP played no part in the financial woes of either Bury or Bolton. Neither club has been guilty of chasing the dream by spending lots of cash they didn't have to get into the Premier League.
Not quite true as I understand it - I know one example given of their spending to get promoted was the signing of Leon Clarke, who you may remember from his time with us.

It seems the Bury fans at the time expressed concerned about it.
This time we'll get it right - just believe! :wink:

Satch
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:39 pm

bigbobb wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:11 pm
Not quite true as I understand it - I know one example given of their spending to get promoted was the signing of Leon Clarke, who you may remember from his time with us.

It seems the Bury fans at the time expressed concerned about it.
I read he took a pay cut when he moved to Shef Utd. I have no idea if FFP would have become a problem for them or if it's even more evidence it is entirely ineffectual in it's alleged mission.