League cup vs Bristol C

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

User avatar
Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip
Posts: 20993
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:17 pm
Location: Banbury, Oxon.

Re: League cup vs Bristol C

Post by Esox Lucius » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:20 am

I'd be surprised to see MW change a new system he is trying to get the players to become comfortable with. He has already said he will be making changes to see how the other noobs pan out but says he wants to win, because it is no good telling the players that every game is there to be won then telling them that the cup game doesn't matter.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

User avatar
kernowhoop
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger
Posts: 1497
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:25 pm
Location: Plymouth, Devon

Re: League cup vs Bristol C

Post by kernowhoop » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:47 am

Esox Lucius wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:20 am
I'd be surprised to see MW change a new system he is trying to get the players to become comfortable with. He has already said he will be making changes to see how the other noobs pan out but says he wants to win, because it is no good telling the players that every game is there to be won then telling them that the cup game doesn't matter.
So true. If you want to build a successful team, they all matter. The 'winning mentality' is vital and the other way of thinking can be disastrous. The edge that a team needs to win games withers away and defeat becomes an almost acceptable norm (last season, at home?). Apart from that, a cup run can give the fans a lot of fun.
It's simple. Score more goals than they do.

User avatar
dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007
Posts: 13185
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:21 pm
Location: Just over the border...

Re: League cup vs Bristol C

Post by dm » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:27 am

Esox Lucius wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:20 am
I'd be surprised to see MW change a new system he is trying to get the players to become comfortable with. He has already said he will be making changes to see how the other noobs pan out but says he wants to win, because it is no good telling the players that every game is there to be won then telling them that the cup game doesn't matter.
Yep, well panned noobs are always important at this point of the season.

jimjams
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger
Posts: 504
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:50 pm

Re: League cup vs Bristol C

Post by jimjams » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:37 am

My guess is that MW will not want to change the system, which has been to play a defensive midfielder in the centre of the three in a 4231.
I guess he will rest some players, though, particularly Cameron and Rangel. Don't know how Manning is but if that knock he took is bad would be reasonable to replace him with Wallace, too.

So

Lumley
Kane/Hall/Barbet/Wallace
Ball/ Scowen
BOS/Amos/Eze
Hugill

Reckon he might try Amos further up to see how it works out. If it goes well, he might play ahead of Scowen in that role on Saturday with Cameron and Smith/Ball behind him.
Mlakar seems to be similar to Hugill, so could do a straight swap without changing the system, too much, but it probably depends on player condition.
Kelly might start, too, I suppose, but it might be a change too many.

arrystottle
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger
Posts: 264
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:05 am

Re: League cup vs Bristol C

Post by arrystottle » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:07 am

Starting to worry about MW as he seems to be motivating the players and trying to get them to play a bit but most worrying is that he talks sense and after the run of hopeless managers we have had i cant imagine he will be popular with many .

User avatar
dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007
Posts: 13185
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:21 pm
Location: Just over the border...

Re: League cup vs Bristol C

Post by dm » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:21 am

Warburton says on the offish he's going to use the squad tonight so expect changes. Wallace isn't ready to play yet, but he's the only player out. Apart from LB at the moment there's decent competition for every position - I don't rate Hamalainen. So I think we'll see quite a few players getting their first run out of the season.

jimjams
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger
Posts: 504
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:50 pm

Re: League cup vs Bristol C

Post by jimjams » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:36 am

dm wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:21 am
Warburton says on the offish he's going to use the squad tonight so expect changes. Wallace isn't ready to play yet, but he's the only player out. Apart from LB at the moment there's decent competition for every position - I don't rate Hamalainen. So I think we'll see quite a few players getting their first run out of the season.
Ah, right.
I wonder if Pugh will start, also.

User avatar
dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007
Posts: 13185
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:21 pm
Location: Just over the border...

Re: League cup vs Bristol C

Post by dm » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:53 am

jimjams wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:36 am
dm wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:21 am
Warburton says on the offish he's going to use the squad tonight so expect changes. Wallace isn't ready to play yet, but he's the only player out. Apart from LB at the moment there's decent competition for every position - I don't rate Hamalainen. So I think we'll see quite a few players getting their first run out of the season.
Ah, right.
I wonder if Pugh will start, also.
For the first time in many years I think we could have wholesale changes to the team on Saturday and not see a big drop in player quality. It's arguable whether that should happen tonight but using a player like Pugh, for example, would surely be a positive thing all round.

User avatar
UxbridgeR
dot.org legend
dot.org legend
Posts: 10013
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:45 pm

Re: League cup vs Bristol C

Post by UxbridgeR » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:36 am

dm wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:27 am
Esox Lucius wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:20 am
I'd be surprised to see MW change a new system he is trying to get the players to become comfortable with. He has already said he will be making changes to see how the other noobs pan out but says he wants to win, because it is no good telling the players that every game is there to be won then telling them that the cup game doesn't matter.
Yep, well panned noobs are always important at this point of the season.
I'll be showing mine off with a low-cut top. Don't say you weren't warned.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

User avatar
Systemsguy
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 5339
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:19 pm

Re: League cup vs Bristol C

Post by Systemsguy » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:05 am

Satch wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:06 pm
Kelly

Kane
Leistner
Masterson (if fit)
Hämäläinen

Ball
Smith

Shodipo
Chair
Pugh

Mlakar (If fit)

Barbet and Wells to come in if those two are not fit.

Credit to the club, if you'd offered me that as our first choice 11 a few weeks ago i'd have taken it.
That's too Ollie-esk for my liking (11 starting changes) too many shades of Brentford in the league cup a couple of seasons back...

Kelly for Lumley,

would rest Hall and Rangel...

Scowen instead of Smith

and Wells instead of Shodipo...

Formation 4 4 2
2019/2020.... Keep Calm, no matter the season, we'll follow our team.....

Image

User avatar
dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007
Posts: 13185
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:21 pm
Location: Just over the border...

Re: League cup vs Bristol C

Post by dm » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:51 am

UxbridgeR wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:36 am
dm wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:27 am
Esox Lucius wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:20 am
I'd be surprised to see MW change a new system he is trying to get the players to become comfortable with. He has already said he will be making changes to see how the other noobs pan out but says he wants to win, because it is no good telling the players that every game is there to be won then telling them that the cup game doesn't matter.
Yep, well panned noobs are always important at this point of the season.
I'll be showing mine off with a low-cut top. Don't say you weren't warned.
Well, I did read elsewhere we're facing a couple of Bristols...

User avatar
Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip
Posts: 20993
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:17 pm
Location: Banbury, Oxon.

Re: League cup vs Bristol C

Post by Esox Lucius » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:43 pm

Systemsguy wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:05 am
Satch wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:06 pm
Kelly

Kane
Leistner
Masterson (if fit)
Hämäläinen

Ball
Smith

Shodipo
Chair
Pugh

Mlakar (If fit)

Barbet and Wells to come in if those two are not fit.

Credit to the club, if you'd offered me that as our first choice 11 a few weeks ago i'd have taken it.
That's too Ollie-esk for my liking (11 starting changes) too many shades of Brentford in the league cup a couple of seasons back...

Kelly for Lumley,

would rest Hall and Rangel...

Scowen instead of Smith

and Wells instead of Shodipo...

Formation 4 4 2
I can't imagine that MW will change the system that he is trying to get the players to become familiar with, it wouldn't make any sense.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

User avatar
Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip
Posts: 20993
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:17 pm
Location: Banbury, Oxon.

Re: League cup vs Bristol C

Post by Esox Lucius » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:44 pm

arrystottle wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:07 am
Starting to worry about MW as he seems to be motivating the players and trying to get them to play a bit but most worrying is that he talks sense and after the run of hopeless managers we have had i cant imagine he will be popular with many .
You'll know when things aren't going right; Albert Steptoe will be back posting in here.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

Devonranger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 6508
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:20 am
Location: Exeter

Re: League cup vs Bristol C

Post by Devonranger » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:21 pm

Wondering if we might look something like this tonight :-

Kelly

Kane
Leistner
Barbet
Manning

Ball
Smith

Chair
Amos
Pugh


Hugill

User avatar
Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip
Posts: 20993
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:17 pm
Location: Banbury, Oxon.

Re: League cup vs Bristol C

Post by Esox Lucius » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:34 pm

Devonranger wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:21 pm
Wondering if we might look something like this tonight :-

Kelly

Kane
Leistner
Barbet
Manning

Ball
Smith

Chair
Amos
Pugh


Hugill
I suspect it will be Wells or Mlakar starting up front tonight. I hope Eze & Chair start too as their defence will be swamped trying to keep tabs on those two and Wells should be able to find plenty of opportunities. I remember Wells playing a lot better when Eze was alongside him.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

Post Reply