Just Back On The Island...

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

SM
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Just Back On The Island...

Post by SM » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:27 pm

I have to say, that was a very, very decent game of football.

If you said that one of these sides had just been relegated from the Premier League - and the other was being tipped for relegation, had lost its ‘bigger players’ and had been forced to build a side on a shoe string... Well, good luck deciding who was who.

I’m always reluctant to make any sweeping comments after little more than 180 minutes of football, but based on what we’ve seen so far, all of the signs point towards a surprisingly promising, dare I say, exciting, season ahead.

I don’t envy anyone coming in and dealing with what Warburton has this summer, but I can’t help but genuinely admire what he’s managed to do so far.

We’ve all heard these lovely sound bites when managers come in and say that they want to play a particular way. Lest we forget SMC saying he wanted to play out from the back with the likes of Lynch & Ingram *twitch* ... We all knew we would be torn apart playing like that, and I’ll take that WBA game to my grave... But this feels very different.

I can’t recall seeing a set of QPR players look so comfortable on the ball, consistently playing the intelligent pass forwards so often, and dominating the ball to this extent for quite some time.

It’s not perfect yet, and I still think it needs some tweaking, but I love what Warburton is trying to do here. It’s great to watch, it’s exciting, and I think we will cause a lot of teams some real problems this season.

You do have to take the rough with the smooth, and I think that’s something that we’ll all have to learn to live with when playing this brand of football.

There was one point where Rangel was dancing around in our own box for far too long in possession, and had Huddersfield closed down earlier, it could well have been one for the blooper reel.

Scowen sent a hospital pass backwards (how many times now?) that we should have been punished for too. They were two prime examples of the overplaying side of this type of football... But for the faults, there was so much quality on show to go along with it.

Some of the diagonal balls pinged from various areas of the pitch were just marvellous. Barbet has a wand of a left foot, and some of his passing to the full backs and wingers was exceptional.

We all know what Grant Hall can do when fit, and it goes without saying that both Rangel and Manning are both very good with the ball at their feet too.

It’s a great platform to play from, and when you throw in a combination of BOS, Eze, Chair, Wells & Hugill upfront... It looks great on paper.

It would have been an absolute travesty had we not taken at least a point from yesterday, and only a combination of horrendous refereeing and some savage defending from Huddersfield kept the scores level. If we play like that, we’ll win an awful lot more than we lose - and have a lot of fun along the way.

Player Ratings

Lumley - Really didn’t have a lot to do. A great save with his feet in the first half after Scowen’s error and didn’t have much chance with the penalty. Decent distribution through the game.

Rangel - Fairly solid, if not spectacular. Good use of the ball when in possession, and wasn’t really troubled defensively. Clearly tired as the game went on.

Hall - Great to see him back out there, and good to see him rewarded with the captains armband after all of the trouble he’s had over the past few years. A couple of wayward balls, but defensively sound and didn’t really put a foot wrong. Excellent finish with the header, and hope to see him contribute with a few more this season. Promising partnership with Barbet.

Barbet - Lovely footballer. Classy on the ball, and can ping a pass virtually anywhere on the pitch. Nice moment in the first half when he faked to go back to Lumley and totally threw the opposition player with a clever turn and ball forwards. Been a while since I’ve seen a QPR defender capable of that. Perhaps harsh, but felt he was possibly at fault for the Huddersfield penalty, and suspect on a couple of occasions defensively, but I really, really like him. Great balance with him and Hall at CB. One word of warning, keep away from free kicks. Hit two 35 yarders straight into the wall.

Manning - I’ve been wanting him in the QPR side for months. IMO, he offers far more at LB than Bidwell ever will. Did think he got caught out once or twice, but that’s to be expected when learning this new position. Always think he puts a cracking ball in the box, and his assist for the leveller was exquisite. Wallace will have his work cut out trying to take this starting spot away from him.

Amos - Early days, so will reserve judgement for the time being, but being brutally honest, I’m struggling to see what all the fuss is about. He reminded me a little of Tom Carroll, genuinely highly thought of at Spurs and spoken about as a potential first team player... But looks light years away from that to me. Tidy in possession, but a lot of unspectacular, sideways passing without really making any impact. Sure he will improve.

Cameron - Beast. I was delighted to see him return to QPR, and he will be a big player for us this season. He might not be wearing the armband, but he’s a proper leader and one we will miss enormously if we lose him to injury as we did last year. Broke up possession countless times, won header after header, and offered a lot of bite as Huddersfield become increasingly aggressive as the game went on. Critical in this side.

BOS - Not his best game. Could potentially have won us a penalty in the first half, and went close with a left footed drive after being set up by Eze. Only real flash of what he could do came in the second half. After picking the ball up on the left, cut inside and saw a stunning curling effort just evade the top corner with the keeper beaten all ends up. This is a big, big season for him, and I do believe he will deliver. Whilst he didn’t offer a great deal in an attacking sense, he chased back on numerous occasions and certainly put in a shift.

Eze - I dearly hope that fans can keep off of his back. He started like a train last year, and as soon as his form dipped, fans got on his back and it pretty much threw his whole season. The kid is absolute quality, and he’s started very well again. I think he can flourish in this side and style of football, we just need him to have the confidence to play freely and without fear. Some of his touches and use of the ball oozed class. Warburton could do wonders with him.

Scowen - I’ll start by saying that I really like him. He’s a good footballer, he brings a lot to the table, and his work-rate will always be 10/10. But in an attacking role? I’m really not seeing it. He’s a good box to box player, but I think we lose a lot in an attacking sense with him so advanced. Also has an alarming habit of losing the ball in terrifying areas, which he did last season a lot, he did at Stoke and he did again yesterday. He will need to improve enormously to keep his place in this side.

Hugill - Not a great deal of service due to the number of bodies that Huddersfield kept back in defensive positions, but worked very hard and is clearly a handful. Good link up play though, and sure he will only improve as he gets fitter and sharper.

Subs

Kane - Clearly a very talented player. I can’t say I saw a great deal of him at Hull, but he definitely brings something different. Bags of pace and an eagerness to get forward as much as possible. Put a couple of very decent balls into the box too. Think he’s far more suited to what Warburton wants from a full-back than Rangel.

Chair - I totally agreed with Warburtons decision to keep him at QPR rather than loan him out. He couldn’t have really done more yesterday. So hungry for the ball, he was making darting runs left, right and centre. His use of the ball was terrific, shifting between players and playing cute balls in behind their back line. Read the game very well too, and caused them no end of problems. One lovely move towards the end when he let a low ball run through his legs and onto Kane which totally took two of their players out of the move. Such an exciting promising display, and looks far more useful in that role than Scowen.

Wells - I for one was delighted to see him return. He looked sharp and fit, and don’t think he will need too long to be up and running based on his cameo yesterday. Offers something very difficult to Hugill, and just hope he can rediscover the form that he showed at the beginning of his loan spell last year. Another one that could really flourish under Warburton.

On a separate note, I’m delighted that the KPF got so much attention in the media across all platforms, and just like we did with Grenfell, the clubs handling of everything both on and off of the pitch was without fault and full of class.

We were there on South Africa Road when they officially opened the ground with Kiyan’s family and friends, and you couldn’t help but have a lump in the throat when you saw their faces. It was incredibly touching.

Hoos, Ferdinand & Ruben were all extremely supportive of all of them. It was a great day, and just a shame that we couldn’t top it off with the 3 points that our performance deserved.

RIP Kiyan.
Isle Of Wight R'ssssssssss

deadendjob
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Re: Just Back On The Island...

Post by deadendjob » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:37 am

Appreciate the detailed write up mate

SM
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Re: Just Back On The Island...