Naki loan move?

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

UxbridgeR
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Re: Naki loan move?

Post by UxbridgeR » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:00 am

I like Wells, but I'm not convinced that yet another loan signing is a smart move. That's five we have now, which is the maximum you're allowed in a matchday squad. It's too many. Two (maybe three) of them are unlikely to be expensive, but Hugill and Wells together are likely to be costing us around £40k a week. Given the manager seems committed to playing with just one upfront, we'll have one very expensive option keeping the bench warm most of the time.

Certainly the idea that we would be reliant on our youngsters this year has gone out the window. Of course, there's a balance to be struck between developing our own talent and having enough established quality and experience to keep us in this division, but I don't see our young players getting many opportunities as things stand.

When you take the five loanees, factor in those on one year contracts, and then look at the players out of contract next summer anyway, we'll be looking at another major overhaul in 12 months time. Once again, the thinking seems largely short term.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

White Duck
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by White Duck » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:12 am

westlondonlalala wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:29 am
I’m scratching my head as to how the Manager has anything to do with a players technique? So we are now blaming Schteve for Wells crap finishing, I agree if our system presents Wells with more opportunities then he is likely to score more goals but I don’t think chances was the issue last season it was more his conversion rate, I like him but you’ll be hard pressed to find a player with a worse technique on striking a ball. Anything else we wanna blame Schteve for?

As for Austin (who’s not even a year older than Wells) 4m on a two year contract to a club that made nearly 30m in sales over the summer I think is worth a punt, I doubt he’s on half of what he was on at Saints & is there a better finisher in the Championship right now, if he stays fit he’s getting 20+, not sure where else you find that for 4m. Yes in our circumstances Austin is not a viable option but to a team the other end of the table I think it’s a decent bit of business.
There was interest from a number of Championship clubs in Wells yesterday so they can't all be wrong can they? And his striking the ball tchnique is fine as shown by the goals he scored last season: not every shot he takes is going to go in. Lost confidence on his penalties last year though. He was affected like most of the other players by our terrible run for the last half of the season under the previous manager: I'm confident we will see him perform well under a manager who knows what he's doing with a better team set up and tactics. I would also expect to see some team rotation rather than last year's tctic to flog the same players to death week after week.
Lex Talionis........

Systemsguy
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Systemsguy » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:56 am

Most QPR related journo's opinions are that the club actually has done some decent business this summer....

Me? I'm a humble fan....

I'm just hoping for some good football down the bush this season, win a few lose a few and as quick to 50 points as possible... going home with a smile on my face after a match would be nice

Anything else (cup run/s, playoffs etc) would be a bonus....

#justsaying
2019/2020.... Keep Calm, no matter the season, we'll follow our team.....

ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:22 am

I'm pleased Nahki has returned. I first noticed him when he was banging in the goals for Bradford a few years ago, so was chuffed when we signed him last season. I think in the right system he'll score regularly, but see him as a contributor to the goals tally rather than the main goal threat (in the way Charlie Austin was for us).

Last season he was competing against Hemed, who was a big disappointment. perhaps with more game time and more consistency he would have scored a few more goals. I think he picked up a niggling injury mid season too. Obviously missing two penalties (particularly the one against Birmingham) knocked his confidence. I'm hopeful a fresh start will see a return of 15+ goals for us from Nahki this season. A couple on Saturday would be a good start.

UR's!
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

Don Gibbons
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by Don Gibbons » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:52 am

UxbridgeR wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:00 am
Certainly the idea that we would be reliant on our youngsters this year has gone out the window. Of course, there's a balance to be struck between developing our own talent and having enough established quality and experience to keep us in this division, but I don't see our young players getting many opportunities as things stand.
Uxbridge, even if we ignore the youngsters on loan (Smith, Amos, Mlakar), there is still a surprisingly youthful 'QPR core' in the squad.

Lookng at the ages of Warburton's squad Vs Stoke:

LUMLEY 24
MANNING 23
SCOWEN 26
BOS 21
EZE 21

Bench:
CHAIR 21
SHODIPO 22

The average age of these seven is a little over 22

UxbridgeR
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by UxbridgeR » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:44 am

Don Gibbons wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:52 am
UxbridgeR wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:00 am
Uxbridge, even if we ignore the youngsters on loan (Smith, Amos, Mlakar), there is still a surprisingly youthful 'QPR core' in the squad.

Lookng at the ages of Warburton's squad Vs Stoke:

LUMLEY 24
MANNING 23
SCOWEN 26
BOS 21
EZE 21

Bench:
CHAIR 21
SHODIPO 22

The average age of these seven is a little over 22
Fair point, Don. I wouldn't count Scowen, as he arrived at the club with the best part of 200 league games under his belt, but that would take your average down further. I still think 5 loans is too many though, and is likely to crowd out the likes of Chair and Shodipo.

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:28 am

UxbridgeR wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:47 am
westlondonlalala wrote:
I’m scratching my head as to how the Manager has anything to do with a players technique? So we are now blaming Schteve for Wells crap finishing, I agree if our system presents Wells with more opportunities then he is likely to score more goals but I don’t think chances was the issue last season it was more his conversion rate, I like him but you’ll be hard pressed to find a player with a worse technique on striking a ball. Anything else we wanna blame Schteve for?
It's good to have a scapegoat. Keeps things simple.

Personally I blame him for us not leaving the EU on 29th March. Clearly the club did too, as he was sacked the next working day.

Coincidence ? I think not.
Just beyond me how you can blame a manger for a players technique when striking a ball & say it will improve under the new boss.

I didn’t get to many games last season but some of Wells shooting was woeful he rarely put his foot through the ball, I’m pleased we got him back though as he scored a few & is a different option to Hugill.

Just had a thought with so many schteve haters on here I should get some t-shirts printed up #blamesteve & flog them down South Africa rd Saturday.

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:18 pm

Why focus on the negative all the time? Why not post something positive about the players? When it comes to QPR, the old adage about "if you can't say something nice, say nothing at all" should be an enforced ruling. SM is littered with oxygen thieves whose every post/ tweet/ WHY is to slag off a player, the club, the management, anything connected with QPR.
The QPR side we have now gives me every faith that we can avoid relegation this season and enjoy watching some good football along the way. I also have the nagging fear that it will come unravelled in some games and we will get thumped. When that happens I will try to look back at the positives that have preceded it and bolster my support with that. The club is finally starting to look like the QPR of old with honest, hardworking players that maybe a bit limited in talent but will make up for it with heart. It's all I want. The tirade of abuse from The Legion of Gloom after every setback is a fücking embarrassment to loyal fans who turn up to games week in and week out from all parts of the globe and you know that the majority of them won't have been to the game. Simple things like commenting on how well Lumley did to spot Scowen's mistake early and deal with it effectively instead of a full on dissection of everything he did wrong coming out for crosses he should have left well alone. Social media DOES have an effect on players and it would be great to see some support for the team instead of trying to find the worst player after game and making sure they know how you feel about their performance.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

Satch
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:36 pm

westlondonlalala wrote:

As for Austin (who’s not even a year older than Wells) 4m on a two year contract to a club that made nearly 30m in sales over the summer I think is worth a punt, I doubt he’s on half of what he was on at Saints & is there a better finisher in the Championship right now, if he stays fit he’s getting 20+, not sure where else you find that for 4m. Yes in our circumstances Austin is not a viable option but to a team the other end of the table I think it’s a decent bit of business.
Agree on both points, i do like Wells and think of the team has some confidence he can do a bit better though. He's also a slightly different option if MW needs it.

With Austin, i think you've hit the nail on the head. If you can afford him and imo, more critically, afford to manage his minutes then i think he can come off the bench and turn one point into 3 enough times to push a team up a couple of places, which makes a big difference at the top of the table. That said i don't think he'l be close to fit enough to play a lot of games. He never relied on pace and he won't have forgetten where the net is.

Systemsguy
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Systemsguy » Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:42 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:18 pm
Why focus on the negative all the time? Why not post something positive about the players? When it comes to QPR, the old adage about "if you can't say something nice, say nothing at all" should be an enforced ruling. SM is littered with oxygen thieves whose every post/ tweet/ WHY is to slag off a player, the club, the management, anything connected with QPR.
The QPR side we have now gives me every faith that we can avoid relegation this season and enjoy watching some good football along the way. I also have the nagging fear that it will come unravelled in some games and we will get thumped. When that happens I will try to look back at the positives that have preceded it and bolster my support with that. The club is finally starting to look like the QPR of old with honest, hardworking players that maybe a bit limited in talent but will make up for it with heart. It's all I want. The tirade of abuse from The Legion of Gloom after every setback is a FLIPPING embarrassment to loyal fans who turn up to games week in and week out from all parts of the globe and you know that the majority of them won't have been to the game. Simple things like commenting on how well Lumley did to spot Scowen's mistake early and deal with it effectively instead of a full on dissection of everything he did wrong coming out for crosses he should have left well alone. Social media DOES have an effect on players and it would be great to see some support for the team instead of trying to find the worst player after game and making sure they know how you feel about their performance.
All summer long since MW was appointed the legion of gloom has derided virtually every signing as either has-beens, rejects or crocs .....

We've let go players who weren't performing and again questions arise why we signed them in the first place...

Every signing is a gamble even Charlie's to the Baggies and remember he's 6 years older now than when we signed him and he was second choice to Gary Hooper our original target that season....

We've actually got a little bit of continuity by re-signing two loanees from last season on permanent year long deals and a third is mad enough to come on loan again at the Cirque du QPR this season... All 3 seem good eggs

Even our 5 loans are now being questioned as it may mean a large turnover again next summer but it's pretty obvious we couldn't afford to pay for them on permanent deals and the risks it would entail....

Season starts at home tomorrow... Let's be upbeat for a change

URssssss
2019/2020.... Keep Calm, no matter the season, we'll follow our team.....

UxbridgeR
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by UxbridgeR » Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:48 pm

That's that then. Let's all get behind the lads and enjoy the game.

White Duck
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by White Duck » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:03 pm

Good post Systemsguy: if you can't be positive at the beginning of the season (especially after you've won a tough opening away match) then when can you? I'm looking forward to being at the game tomorrow and think we should have a better season than last time with a decent squad.
Lex Talionis........

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:23 pm

White Duck wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:03 pm
Good post Systemsguy: if you can't be positive at the beginning of the season (especially after you've won a tough opening away match) then when can you? I'm looking forward to being at the game tomorrow and think we should have a better season than last time with a decent squad.
Seconded. When I first saw the fixture list I viewed it with a little trepidation but hopefully now, with a solid away win behind us and signs of some attractive football to look forward we won't be hearing from the usual suspects half as much. Pragmatism makes me feel that any sort of top half finish would be a good season but I don't mind dreaming of something better. :D
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

Wegerle
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Wegerle » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:26 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:18 pm
The QPR side we have now gives me every faith that we can avoid relegation this season and enjoy watching some good football along the way. I also have the nagging fear that it will come unravelled in some games and we will get thumped. When that happens I will try to look back at the positives that have preceded it and bolster my support with that. The club is finally starting to look like the QPR of old with honest, hardworking players that maybe a bit limited in talent but will make up for it with heart. It's all I want. The tirade of abuse from The Legion of Gloom after every setback is a FLIPPING embarrassment to loyal fans who turn up to games week in and week out from all parts of the globe and you know that the majority of them won't have been to the game. Simple things like commenting on how well Lumley did to spot Scowen's mistake early and deal with it effectively instead of a full on dissection of everything he did wrong coming out for crosses he should have left well alone. Social media DOES have an effect on players and it would be great to see some support for the team instead of trying to find the worst player after game and making sure they know how you feel about their performance.
Agree although I have to admit that my positivity was very severely tested during the Mark Hughes period. For me the worst period in QPR history, we were everything I despise in football back then.
I like the look of our whole club as it is now and think we will be more than o.k. this season. I'll glady stay in the Championship for the next 5 years with young, hungry and developing players. I am also more than happy for us to stay at Loftus Road during that period. Lets take this one step at a time.

stainesranger
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainesranger » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:09 am

Ray Harford / late Gerry Francis was my worst time