Starting eleven

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

Systemsguy
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Re: Starting eleven

Post by Systemsguy » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:31 pm

Charlie Austin is currently being touted round Premier League / Championship clubs by Saints for £8M.....

Remember they paid us £4M as his contract was nearly up and that was 3 and half years and he's now 30..... been injury prone and scored 3 goals last season

that's the transfer market for you...

I'm going to tip my hat to Luke Freeman as he signed an extension knowing the club wouldn't stand in his way if a decent offer came in for him ...

The price paid suits both parties and similar to Smithies only one bidder was interested....

Mass?

Sell him for whatever we can get rather than let him run his contract down....

We've had enough mercenaries in the last 10 years to last a lifetime in my book....

I like the business we've done this summer....

We've shored up goalkeeping, defence and if Cameron is back on board the midfield....

We know we need strikers, let's see what the baker can produce from the oven on that front?
2018/2019.... Keep Calm, no matter the season, we'll follow our team.....

Bear-Grills
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Bear-Grills » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:40 pm

ZENITH R wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:21 pm
Bear-Grills wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:33 pm
Do we even know what we got for Freeman? I suppose "undisclosed" means we can at least keep those cards close to our chest for now?
It's been reported he was their (Sheffield United) record signing. I think their previous record was £5,000,000

So, a player we signed 2 1/2 years ago for £300,000 we managed to sell for over £5,000,000 with no sell on clause(so Bristol City got nought and we get to keep it all).

And people are still not happy?

Get real!
No complaints from me. Reality is a bitch but at least we got a reasonable deal
“Tell the truth the first time, then you don’t have to remember what you said.”

Satch
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:05 am

Systemsguy wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:31 pm
Charlie Austin is currently being touted round Premier League / Championship clubs by Saints for £8M.....

Remember they paid us £4M as his contract was nearly up and that was 3 and half years and he's now 30..... been injury prone and scored 3 goals last season

that's the transfer market for you...

I'm going to tip my hat to Luke Freeman as he signed an extension knowing the club wouldn't stand in his way if a decent offer came in for him ...

The price paid suits both parties and similar to Smithies only one bidder was interested....

Mass?

Sell him for whatever we can get rather than let him run his contract down....

We've had enough mercenaries in the last 10 years to last a lifetime in my book....

I like the business we've done this summer....

We've shored up goalkeeping, defence and if Cameron is back on board the midfield....

We know we need strikers, let's see what the baker can produce from the oven on that front?
Saints won’t get 8m for Charlie Austin. I think we’ve got a fair price for Freeman and I agree about Luongo, he isn’t in it for the long haul (which I have no issue with, he’s got his own life to worry about) and I don’t think he is enough of a difference maker to not try and recoup cash on.

Montag
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Montag » Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:10 am

I expected Kelly to be 1st choice. No?
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."
Richard III, Act IV, W. Shakespeare

jimjams
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by jimjams » Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:21 am

Danish Ranger wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:35 am
Assuming that Luongo will leave and we will see at least two new strikers, my best guess of our starting eleven is:

Lumley
---
Wallace
Leistner
Barbet
Furlong
---
Scowen
Ball
Eze
Amos
Manning
---
NN

Bench: Masterson, Chair, Smith, Smyth, Kelly, BOS

Where on earth will the goals come from ?
Presumably they are going to come from NN, whoever that is.
Think Kelly will start ahead of Lumley and Smith will start ahead of Amos at least. Smith is a Wales international and played over 30 games for FCTwente, so I think he might be quite good for us.
I doubt we will use four non-attacking central midfielders, because it doesn't really fit our strengths or potential, and I think BOS has to play because if I was an opposition manager going through those 16 players, he'd be the attacking option that I'd be most worried about.
If 433 I think Smyth-Eze-BOS could work, with Eze as a kind of false 9. I'm not convinced about Smyth, but he's quick and direct. If he is ever going to come through it's now, and if there's any set-up he could do it in it's that. Maybe Scowen, Smith and Ball behind them.
That set-up might only work against some teams. We could try 4231, etc., but in any case we've got Walker, Smyth, Oteh, Shodipo, Chair, BOS trying to get in the side (assuming Eze has already established himself). Particularly if we are going to develop players and move them on for a decent fee, we have to try and make that happen.

Devonranger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Devonranger » Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:39 am

I think the Freeman fee was decent for a player of his age - nice for him to have his chance at the Premier League - shame it's not with us but, given his contribution to us during his time with us, I wish him well.

If you look at what the likes of LF and LH have done, we have players in the squad willing to play for the club at our reduced wage structure - still murmurs amongst fans of players don't care but these players wont be here for an inflated meal ticket of wages.

Think we have a few options now - have three good keepers on the books and presume one may go out on loan.

Furlong and Rangel mean you could play Darnell at centre half if there was a quick striker to cancel out.

Still possibly Luongo to leave and Cameron to come in. I've selected a very young midfield there but you can put Scowen in there

Keeper

Furlong
Leistner
Barbet
Wallace

Chair
Smith
Amos
BOS

Eze

Striker

Few options already and presuming recruitment not finished yet

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:43 am

Montag wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:10 am
Hope so not a fan of Lumley but then again when you’ve been accustomed to Smithies for so long I guess anyone is a downgrade.

Bear-Grills
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Bear-Grills » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:06 am

westlondonlalala wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:43 am
Montag wrote:
Hope so not a fan of Lumley but then again when you’ve been accustomed to Smithies for so long I guess anyone is a downgrade.
I seem to recall that Lumley was the 4th best in the division last season going by clean sheets

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:29 am

Bear-Grills wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:06 am
westlondonlalala wrote:
Montag wrote:
I seem to recall that Lumley was the 4th best in the division last season going by clean sheets
Struggle to believe that when only the 3 teams that got relegated conceded more than Lumley, I guess stats are what people want them to be.

stainesranger
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainesranger » Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:53 pm

I personally think Mass could be the difference between relegation and staying up by the skin of our teeth.

I’d have him run his contract down on that basis and see where we are next year.

QPR_John
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by QPR_John » Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:55 pm

westlondonlalala wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:29 am
Bear-Grills wrote:
westlondonlalala wrote:

Struggle to believe that when only the 3 teams that got relegated conceded more than Lumley, I guess stats are what people want them to be.
I think it was more a case that only the three teams that got relegated conceded more than our defence

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:25 pm

stainesranger wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:53 pm
I personally think Mass could be the difference between relegation and staying up by the skin of our teeth.

I’d have him run his contract down on that basis and see where we are next year.
It’s what I was trying to get across in a previous post there has to be a balance between selling off your best players & actually giving yourself a chance of survival.

I thought Smithies might relegate us, Freeman & Mass would really concern me along with all the others that left.

A lot of faith in Warburton kids & rejects by the looks of it.

Let’s hope the reported 5m for Freeman that everyone thinks is great turns out to be worth it & not a one way ticket to league1.

Devonranger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Devonranger » Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:53 pm

Possibly a similar scenario to Southampton who have consistently sold off their better players, and nearly paid the price the season just gone.

Hoping that the change of personnel will see different dynamics in the team, and hopefully a better structure defensively to the team. Would be good to avoid a similar start to last season ....

stainesranger
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainesranger » Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:54 pm

westlondonlalala wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:25 pm
stainesranger wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:53 pm

It’s what I was trying to get across in a previous post there has to be a balance between selling off your best players & actually giving yourself a chance of survival.

I thought Smithies might relegate us, Freeman & Mass would really concern me along with all the others that left.

A lot of faith in Warburton kids & rejects by the looks of it.

Let’s hope the reported 5m for Freeman that everyone thinks is great turns out to be worth it & not a one way ticket to league1.
Agree 100%. He’s been there or there abouts in our top 3 players since he joined, sometimes the top player, and given we’ve lost most of our other good players it would surely make sense to hang on to him (unless the club have got some outstanding targets in mind).

Otherwise I think we just end up getting relegated and I can’t imagine that’s part of the long term plan.

Bear-Grills
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Bear-Grills » Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:43 pm

westlondonlalala wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:29 am
Bear-Grills wrote:
westlondonlalala wrote:

5th best in the division for clean sheets - what that says about Lumley or our defence I don't really know

https://www.foxsports.com/soccer/team-s ... ion&sort=0