Starting eleven

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Re: Starting eleven

Post by westlondonlalala » Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:17 pm

Yep fully aware of the financial situation & all that goes with it just a bitter pill to swallow losing Smithies our most influential player going for under market value, I thought his departure may relegate us he was that important & at times it looked a possibility last season.

Now once again we’ve lost our most influential player & again for under market value, yes we got a good turn out of him & yes made a tidy profit but that doesn’t change the fact our biggest attacking threat has now departed.

Now Luongo being talked about & im starting to think hang on a minute where is the balance between selling your assets to balance the books & actually giving yourself a chance of staying in the league.

I’m no expert but I thought championship status is more important in the long term than taking low ball offers for your last few remaining assets.

I’m happy to take top dollar for our players like everyone else seems to get & put yourself in danger of relegation but to take the money we have & put yourself at risk seems highly questionable.

Let’s hope we stay up with ease and none of it really matters, if we go down then I’ll look forward to your excuse as to why we didn’t say 10m for Freeman or f*ck off!

QPR_John
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by QPR_John » Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:27 pm

westlondonlalala wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:17 pm
Yep fully aware of the financial situation & all that goes with it just a bitter pill to swallow losing Smithies our most influential player going for under market value, I thought his departure may relegate us he was that important & at times it looked a possibility last season.

Now once again we’ve lost our most influential player & again for under market value, yes we got a good turn out of him & yes made a tidy profit but that doesn’t change the fact our biggest attacking threat has now departed.

Now Luongo being talked about & im starting to think hang on a minute where is the balance between selling your assets to balance the books & actually giving yourself a chance of staying in the league.

I’m no expert but I thought championship status is more important in the long term than taking low ball offers for your last few remaining assets.

I’m happy to take top dollar for our players like everyone else seems to get & put yourself in danger of relegation but to take the money we have & put yourself at risk seems highly questionable.

Let’s hope we stay up with ease and none of it really matters, if we go down then I’ll look forward to your excuse as to why we didn’t say 10m for Freeman or f*ck off!
I would have expected more for Freeman and Luongo has not gone yet however the balancing point between championship status and what you can reasonably get for your assets has moved considerably against us with FFP. No good keeping players if to do so gets us a 10 point penalty next season.

Bear-Grills
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Bear-Grills » Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:33 pm

Do we even know what we got for Freeman? I suppose "undisclosed" means we can at least keep those cards close to our chest for now?
“Tell the truth the first time, then you don’t have to remember what you said.”

Rbee
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:37 pm

westlondonlalala wrote:
Freeman had to go to cover our missing parachute payments, he wanted to go anyway to The Premier League. Luongo has indicated he wants out as well but as yet we have received no bids. We won't recover the 2-3 million fee we paid for him but if no great bids come in we might end up letting his contract run down.

There will be a tipping point between Luongo's wages and keeping him for the season and the minimum transfer fee we would accept.

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:39 pm

Rbee wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:37 pm
westlondonlalala wrote:
Freeman had to go to cover our missing parachute payments, he wanted to go anyway to The Premier League. Luongo has indicated he wants out as well but as yet we have received no bids. We won't recover the 2-3 million fee we paid for him but if no great bids come in we might end up letting his contract run down.

There will be a tipping point between Luongo's wages and keeping him for the season and the minimum transfer fee we would accept.
Luongo came as a deal with Ben Gladwin and Gladwin was the higher value player.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

Rbee
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:43 pm

Bear-Grills wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:33 pm
Do we even know what we got for Freeman? I suppose "undisclosed" means we can at least keep those cards close to our chest for now?
His signing broke Sheffield United's transfer record which previously stood at something like 5.2 million.

However what we don't know is the fine details of the deal, how much cash and how much add on's. There could be clauses on appearances, them staying in The Premier League, there might be none, we don't know but I think it's these sort of fine details that are hidden in the 'Undiclosed Fee' thing.

Rbee
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:45 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:39 pm
Luongo came as a deal with Ben Gladwin and Gladwin was the higher value player.
I know, but we all know the large chunk of the fee was for Mass. You would have to add together what we received for Luongo and what we received for Gladwin to calculate our overall loss.... or profit.

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:46 pm

QPR_John wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:27 pm
westlondonlalala wrote:

I would have expected more for Freeman and Luongo has not gone yet however the balancing point between championship status and what you can reasonably get for your assets has moved considerably against us with FFP. No good keeping players if to do so gets us a 10 point penalty next season.
I thought we were ok with FFP now I thought We were working within our means & complying.

I didn’t realise we had to sell Freeman and half the squad to comply with ffp guidelines & keep within our means.

Rbee
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:19 pm

westlondonlalala wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:46 pm
I thought we were ok with FFP now I thought We were working within our means & complying.I didn’t realise we had to sell Freeman and half the squad to comply with ffp guidelines & keep within our means.
Think about it Lala, the costs of running the club and our income. I don't know about the season just ended but wasn't our wage bill for the season before about 30 million? Losing the 10m parachute payment hurts so the club desperately needs to increase it's income which brings us back to the need for a new stadium.

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:28 pm

Rbee wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:19 pm
westlondonlalala wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:46 pm
I thought we were ok with FFP now I thought We were working within our means & complying.I didn’t realise we had to sell Freeman and half the squad to comply with ffp guidelines & keep within our means.
Think about it Lala, the costs of running the club and our income. I don't know about the season just ended but wasn't our wage bill for the season before about 30 million? Losing the 10m parachute payment hurts so the club desperately needs to increase it's income which brings us back to the need for a new stadium.
I dunno it all confuses me the whole FFP, I just thought over the summer we didn’t have to slash the squad to work within the income & expenditure guidlines.

Anyway it is what it is we’ve got what we’ve got so just gotta get on with it, just a shame to see pretty much our last asset sold for under market value.

222gers
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:04 pm

I share your concerns with regard to seemingly being short- changed but the club is over a barrel. We are of course always in the third year of a rolling three year cycle. We lost a fair bit over the last two years which was only partly defrayed by the parachute payment. This payment has now fallen away, so we just have the Solidarity Payment - crumbs from the rich man’s table - to help with the balance sheet. If we make another loss this year we will be clobbered with a points deduction which will probably relegate us. I imagine we will be sending players out on loan again to cut costs which will upset many of us.
Last edited by 222gers on Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rbee
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:10 pm

Every single club in the land knew Luke was available but no other clubs attempted to outbid Sheffield United so surely that is the market value?

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:28 pm

Rbee wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:10 pm
Every single club in the land knew Luke was available but no other clubs attempted to outbid Sheffield United so surely that is the market value?
Nobody attempted to outbid for Dan James at Utd or Che Adams at Saints yet they went for top dollar.

One of the most proven creative players of the last two seasons in the championship joins a club that has landed a windfall north of 150m & we let him go for a reported 5m.

You can see why it’s a tough pill to swallow for some.

Bear-Grills
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Bear-Grills » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:30 pm

222gers wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:04 pm
I share your concerns with regard to seemingly being short- changed but the club is over a barrel. We are of course always in the third year of a rolling three year cycle. We lost a fair bit over the last two years which was only partly defrayed by the parachute payment. This payment has now fallen away, so we just have the Solidarity Payment - crumbs from the rich man’s table - to help with the balance sheet. If we make another loss this year we will be clobbered with a points deduction which will probably relegate us. I imagine we will be sending players out on loan again to cut costs which will upset many of us.
Watch us unexpectedly storm the league now, make a loss, get a points deduction and fail to go up by one point
“Tell the truth the first time, then you don’t have to remember what you said.”

ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:21 pm

Bear-Grills wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:33 pm
It's been reported he was their (Sheffield United) record signing. I think their previous record was £5,000,000

So, a player we signed 2 1/2 years ago for £300,000 we managed to sell for over £5,000,000 with no sell on clause(so Bristol City got nought and we get to keep it all).

And people are still not happy?

Get real!
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.