Starting eleven

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

jimjams
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Re: Starting eleven

Post by jimjams » Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:48 pm

Worth remembering that 20% of the goals we let in last season came in the first four games, when Lumley was not playing.

Rbee
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:04 pm

I see Mass has been left out of the trip to Austria which makes sense. But I agree his absence could tip the balance between success and failure. I also note that Sean Goss isn’t going to Austria.

I do fear for us this coming season but fellow fans bare this in mind. We are only missing three players from the team that finished the season in style at Sheffield Wednesday; Mass, Big Matty Smith and Cameron who might be coming back anyway.

I find this reassuring, a fine performance from the Hoops that day and of course John Eustace who is also still with us.

If you can send out a team of eleven men who are well drilled, know their jobs and are prepared to give their all that’s half the battle won.

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:16 pm

Bear-Grills wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:43 pm
westlondonlalala wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:29 am
Bear-Grills wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:06 am

I seem to recall that Lumley was the 4th best in the division last season going by clean sheets
Struggle to believe that when only the 3 teams that got relegated conceded more than Lumley, I guess stats are what people want them to be.
5th best in the division for clean sheets - what that says about Lumley or our defence I don't really know

https://www.foxsports.com/soccer/team-s ... ion&sort=0
But the 4th worst goals against record overall in the division last season.

Like I said it’s easy to be critical of a keeper when you’ve been accustomed to Smithies, maybe I’m being a little harsh on Lumley.

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:19 pm

Rbee wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:04 pm
I see Mass has been left out of the trip to Austria which makes sense. But I agree his absence could tip the balance between success and failure. I also note that Sean Goss isn’t going to Austria.

I do fear for us this coming season but fellow fans bare this in mind. We are only missing three players from the team that finished the season in style at Sheffield Wednesday; Mass, Big Matty Smith and Cameron who might be coming back anyway.

I find this reassuring, a fine performance from the Hoops that day and of course John Eustace who is also still with us.

If you can send out a team of eleven men who are well drilled, know their jobs and are prepared to give their all that’s half the battle won.
So just to clarify you think we should be ok because we won a dead rubber away at sheff wed where half the pitch was thinking about what beach they would be laying on the next day.

Rbee
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:23 pm

You can think about it that way if you like Lala.

I prefer to think that a Steve Bruce led side didn’t want to lose their last home game of the season. Player and fan reaction to their goal certainly indicated that.

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:40 pm

Rbee wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:23 pm
You can think about it that way if you like Lala.

I prefer to think that a Steve Bruce led side didn’t want to lose their last home game of the season. Player and fan reaction to their goal certainly indicated that.
And a fantastic winner from Smith, No matter who we sign upfront I think that was a bad move to let him go.

Devonranger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Devonranger » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:59 pm

It sounded like Matt Smith wanted a regular starting slot and we weren't willing to accommodate that - hoping the club have themselves some targets for the striking positions.

It's true that the early part of our season made a mess of our goal difference and am I right isn't saying that Cameron played centre half against Sheff Wed? I think he would be handy back in that centre mid role.

jimjams
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by jimjams » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:07 pm

Yeah for the reasons Devonranger mentions, I think it was probably the right idea. It would be difficult for us to build an attack around him with the players we have. He's a good option but couldn't be plan A for us, I don't think.

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:28 pm

I think others have mentioned, Warburton doesn't play a game that suits Smith's strengths and Smith doesn't possess the attributes Warburton wants in his players.

old pauline
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by old pauline » Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:48 pm

What type of game do people think Warburton plays ? Spoke to a Forest fan today (one of my Sunday team players) who said Warburton set them up to be very measured and possessive with very little high tempo pressing. And that came from someone who watched all their game under Aitar Karanka.
Come on you Sooopa ........

jimjams
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by jimjams » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:09 am

He played 4141, and not 433 with Forest, too. I don't think it's necessarily going to be that easy to guess how he will set things up. We will find out in the friendlies, I suppose.
That said, I don't think he will tinker much once he has a plan in place.