Matt Smith gone to Millwall

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

Bear-Grills
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger
Posts: 3641
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 7:41 pm

Re: Matt Smith gone to Millwall

Post by Bear-Grills » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:34 pm

Maybe it will at least force us to do something other than bringing Matt on when we're chasing and hoofing balls up to him in the hope something drops our way. Good honest player, I'll miss him and I think we never consistently played to his strengths.
“Tell the truth the first time, then you don’t have to remember what you said.”

User avatar
bigbobb
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger
Posts: 1214
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:15 pm
Location: Chacombe, Nr Banbury

Re: Matt Smith gone to Millwall

Post by bigbobb » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:38 pm

I agree with comments about the option he gave us to hoof the ball over, although his coming on usually corresponded with Pav going off which nullified his chances anyway, but he was showing signs of slowing up (having never been the fastest) so it is to be hoped we have our eyes on replacement(s) to give us more than just an occasional battering ram.

I suspect this will be his last season at the Championship level so if he can get some regular games at Millwall instead of increasingly warming our bench good luck to him I'd say.
This time we'll get it right - just believe! :wink:

User avatar
westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 6917
Joined: Thu May 20, 2010 7:07 pm

Re: Matt Smith gone to Millwall

Post by westlondonlalala » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:48 am

bigbobb wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:38 pm
I agree with comments about the option he gave us to hoof the ball over, although his coming on usually corresponded with Pav going off which nullified his chances anyway, but he was showing signs of slowing up (having never been the fastest) so it is to be hoped we have our eyes on replacement(s) to give us more than just an occasional battering ram.

I suspect this will be his last season at the Championship level so if he can get some regular games at Millwall instead of increasingly warming our bench good luck to him I'd say.
Smith has just turned 30, Millwall still have Morrison & he’s 36 next month.

If he keeps them up & becomes a fans favourite they will keep him till his legs come off, I reckon he will suite Millwall to a T, if he’s a starter for them this season he’ll outscore anyone at our club.

User avatar
Barry
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger
Posts: 2774
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:33 am
Location: Somewhere in Hertfordshire

Re: Matt Smith gone to Millwall

Post by Barry » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:37 am

westlondonlalala wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:48 am
bigbobb wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:38 pm
I agree with comments about the option he gave us to hoof the ball over, although his coming on usually corresponded with Pav going off which nullified his chances anyway, but he was showing signs of slowing up (having never been the fastest) so it is to be hoped we have our eyes on replacement(s) to give us more than just an occasional battering ram.

I suspect this will be his last season at the Championship level so if he can get some regular games at Millwall instead of increasingly warming our bench good luck to him I'd say.
Smith has just turned 30, Millwall still have Morrison & he’s 36 next month.

If he keeps them up & becomes a fans favourite they will keep him till his legs come off, I reckon he will suite Millwall to a T, if he’s a starter for them this season he’ll outscore anyone at our club.
Morison has left Millwall and gone to Shrewsbury on loan. I presume that’s their reason for signing him.

I liked Smith. But, let’s be honest he is far from being a quality Championship player! I’m guessing MW has some irons in the fire and hopefully some better quality forwards lined up.

If we have got the £750k I’ve seen mentioned then we’ve done very very well.
QPR & Ireland

User avatar
UxbridgeR
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 9968
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:45 pm

Re: Matt Smith gone to Millwall

Post by UxbridgeR » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:39 am

Morison's gone on a season-long loan to Shrewsbury, so I think his Millwall career is over. With Gregory also leaving, they're as short of strikers as we are, and Harris has been after Matt Smith for a while.

I think you're right that he'll be a good signing for Millwall, in that he suits the long-ball game they tend to play. I liked him, and his goals to games ratio was good, but his lack of mobility makes him very limited in open play. He'd always be a decent option off the bench, but was never going to suit the way Warburton wants to play, so I can see the logic in it, especially if we got some kind of fee for him with a year left on his contract.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

User avatar
dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007
Posts: 13092
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:21 pm
Location: Just over the border...

Re: Matt Smith gone to Millwall

Post by dm » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:34 am

Barry wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:37 am
If we have got the £750k I’ve seen mentioned then we’ve done very very well.
We ended up paying Fulham £1m when we signed massive Matt 2.5 years ago. If we got £750k that would indeed be good business but, I think, about right in today's prices.

I wonder if Millwall have ever before had someone with a first class degree play for them?

User avatar
UxbridgeR
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 9968
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:45 pm

Re: Matt Smith gone to Millwall

Post by UxbridgeR » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:35 am

dm wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:34 am
I wonder if Millwall have ever before had someone with a first class degree play for them?
Harry Cripps graduated from The University Of Life with one back in the early 60's.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

QPR_John
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 6374
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:35 pm
Location: Reading

Re: Matt Smith gone to Millwall

Post by QPR_John » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:47 pm

Barry wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:37 am
westlondonlalala wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:48 am
bigbobb wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:38 pm
I agree with comments about the option he gave us to hoof the ball over, although his coming on usually corresponded with Pav going off which nullified his chances anyway, but he was showing signs of slowing up (having never been the fastest) so it is to be hoped we have our eyes on replacement(s) to give us more than just an occasional battering ram.

I suspect this will be his last season at the Championship level so if he can get some regular games at Millwall instead of increasingly warming our bench good luck to him I'd say.
Smith has just turned 30, Millwall still have Morrison & he’s 36 next month.

If he keeps them up & becomes a fans favourite they will keep him till his legs come off, I reckon he will suite Millwall to a T, if he’s a starter for them this season he’ll outscore anyone at our club.
Morison has left Millwall and gone to Shrewsbury on loan. I presume that’s their reason for signing him.

I liked Smith. But, let’s be honest he is far from being a quality Championship player! I’m guessing MW has some irons in the fire and hopefully some better quality forwards lined up.

If we have got the £750k I’ve seen mentioned then we’ve done very very well.
I'm hoping not guessing

Jazzae
Posts: 44
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:32 pm

Re: Matt Smith gone to Millwall

Post by Jazzae » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:48 pm

Matt Smith has gone, long live Matt Smith

User avatar
222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger
Posts: 4930
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:55 pm
Location: LONDON

Re: Matt Smith gone to Millwall

Post by 222gers » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:44 pm

Jazzae wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:48 pm
Matt Smith has gone, long live Matt Smith
Two Matt Smiths.....there's only two Matt Smiths, sing up !

Post Reply