Luke Freeman

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

Bear-Grills
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Re: Luke Freeman

Post by Bear-Grills » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:58 pm

UxbridgeR wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:13 am
Well if that's true, Spurs were well and truly shafted. I'd love to know how Swindon justified that valuation for Gladwin, who'd basically had one full season as a professional after an unremarkable career in non-league football.
Yep, Spurs were shafted (my heart bleeds). However, why would Swindon have needed to justify it? It was a transaction between them and us, they did nothing illegal, and Spurs got their sell-on cut. The only ones who could complain about how much Gladwin cost was us, but at least we could console ourselves by getting Luongo at a bargain price :)
“Tell the truth the first time, then you don’t have to remember what you said.”

UxbridgeR
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by UxbridgeR » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:25 pm

Bear-Grills wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:58 pm
UxbridgeR wrote:
Well if that's true, Spurs were well and truly shafted. I'd love to know how Swindon justified that valuation for Gladwin, who'd basically had one full season as a professional after an unremarkable career in non-league football.
Yep, Spurs were shafted (my heart bleeds). However, why would Swindon have needed to justify it? It was a transaction between them and us, they did nothing illegal, and Spurs got their sell-on cut. The only ones who could complain about how much Gladwin cost was us, but at least we could console ourselves by getting Luongo at a bargain price :)
Well if the values of the two players were allegedly misrepresented to prevent Spurs getting their rightful cut of the transfer fee, wouldn't that be fraud ? I mean I don't really care, and I guess it's not a huge amount of money to a big PL club, but it still doesn't seem right to me.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

Bear-Grills
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Bear-Grills » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:17 pm

UxbridgeR wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:25 pm
Bear-Grills wrote:
UxbridgeR wrote:
Well if the values of the two players were allegedly misrepresented to prevent Spurs getting their rightful cut of the transfer fee, wouldn't that be fraud ? I mean I don't really care, and I guess it's not a huge amount of money to a big PL club, but it still doesn't seem right to me.
No, it's probably not right as such, but all of a piece with the way things are done in modern football I suspect. And who would arbitrate?

Barry
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Barry » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:46 am

Bear-Grills wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:17 pm
UxbridgeR wrote:
Bear-Grills wrote:

No, it's probably not right as such, but all of a piece with the way things are done in modern football I suspect. And who would arbitrate?
Is it not a genius way to get around crippling sell on fees so that smaller clubs can simply survive? Spurs must have known about it but aren’t overly bothered!
QPR & Ireland

Bear-Grills
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Bear-Grills » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:13 am

Barry wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:46 am
Bear-Grills wrote:
UxbridgeR wrote:

Is it not a genius way to get around crippling sell on fees so that smaller clubs can simply survive? Spurs must have known about it but aren’t overly bothered!
It's not "morally" right, but then this is football we're talking about. It's an imaginative way round the problem as you say. I think you're being generous to Spurs though as I think they would have gone after Swindon if they thought they could do so successfully.

Barry
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Barry » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:38 am

Bear-Grills wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:13 am
Barry wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:46 am
Bear-Grills wrote:

It's not "morally" right, but then this is football we're talking about. It's an imaginative way round the problem as you say. I think you're being generous to Spurs though as I think they would have gone after Swindon if they thought they could do so successfully.
Anything that gets one over Daniel Levy is fine by me!
QPR & Ireland

Satch
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:26 pm

UxbridgeR wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:43 pm
Satch wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:03 pm
T-Block wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:01 am
Good Buys

Smyth ,Luongo,Freeman.Manning, Eze,Scowen,Osayi-Samuel.

So leave criticism of Penrice please.

Selling to low maybe-buying has improved
Still ignoring the bet T-Block?
You'd think for the sake of a tenner, the man would have given it up by now. Maybe it's a pride thing.

I reckon we could crowdfund it if the fella's genuinely down on his luck.
You'd think! It's only going to charity but a bet is a bet.

T-bloc,k in all seriousness, if you are genuinely short on cash, PM me, i'll drop it.

Satch
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:31 pm

UxbridgeR wrote:
Bear-Grills wrote:
UxbridgeR wrote:
I suspect we'd all have a different view if Liverpool had sold Joe Allen to city for 40m and lobbed Raheem Sterling in as part of the deal. As you say, can't say i care but it's not an ideal precedent to set as acceptable, especially given our desire to become sustainable through the development of youth players.

Bear-Grills
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Bear-Grills » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:20 pm

Satch wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:31 pm
UxbridgeR wrote:
Bear-Grills wrote:

I suspect we'd all have a different view if Liverpool had sold Joe Allen to city for 40m and lobbed Raheem Sterling in as part of the deal. As you say, can't say i care but it's not an ideal precedent to set as acceptable, especially given our desire to become sustainable through the development of youth players.
I don't disagree, perhaps the rules need changing - no job lots? Although every change seems geared to the benefit of the top 6 anyway. The top Premiership clubs really fit Matt Taibbi's description of Goldman Sachs “a great vampire squid wrapped around the face of football {my edit}, relentlessly jamming its blood funnel into anything that smells like money".

jimjams
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by jimjams » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:04 am

Bear-Grills wrote:
UxbridgeR wrote:
I think this is it. Spurs are a rich club and doing very well financially. It wouldn't be a good look to go chasing after Swindon for what, to them, is quite a small amount. Might be a net loss if you consider costs and damage to the club's image. I think it might be a different story if the shoe was on the other foot and Spurs had pulled a fast one on Swindon.

n22hoop
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by n22hoop » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:21 am

https://www.teamtalk.com/news/sheffield ... ked-winger

So we appear to have rejected a 4m bid. Quite right too.
"Football is the love of form. A spectacle that scarcely leaves a trace in the memory and does not enrich or impoverish knowledge. This is its appeal : it is exciting and empty." Mario Vargas Llosa

Barry
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Barry » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:17 pm

Just a thought...

Freeman signed a new contract relatively recently. Otherwise he’d have been out of contract next summer.

Was a clause inserted by his representatives allowing to leave should a premiership team be willing to pay over a certain amount??

If so, it’d explain having to accept an offer of this value?

If he’d not signed the contract I doubt we’d have got any more than £3million....
QPR & Ireland

Montag
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Montag » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:33 am

How are other clubs getting decent prices for their best players, then? This Leeds kid is not as good as Freeman - yet (if he ever will be). But their getting a ton of dosh for him? What are we doing wrong?
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."
Richard III, Act IV, W. Shakespeare

PeterS
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by PeterS » Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:25 pm

It is to do with financial situation. Clubs who do not have short term need for cash can command higher prices. Everyone knows we are desperate. Without a bidding war we will not get a very good price for any of our players. Brentford are a great example of this. A very well run club, you only get to buy their players by paying a premium price. Why? Because they don’t need the money.

ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R » Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:32 pm

Montag wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:33 am
How are other clubs getting decent prices for their best players, then? This Leeds kid is not as good as Freeman - yet (if he ever will be). But their getting a ton of dosh for him? What are we doing wrong?
A better example is Luton.

They haven't played at Championship level for years, in fact they were playing non-league football as recently as 2013/14, yet they are selling players for a lot more than is being offered for Freeman.

:oops:
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.