Salary Cap

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

User avatar
Montag
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger
Posts: 4547
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:26 pm

Re: Salary Cap

Post by Montag » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:04 pm

After all, who would you rather play for? QPR or Tottenham reserves? Ask Freddie Davis.
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."
Richard III, Act IV, W. Shakespeare

User avatar
ZENITH R
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9026
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:40 pm
Location: North Derbyshire

Re: Salary Cap

Post by ZENITH R » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:37 pm

The big clubs are not bothered about the smaller ones. The Premier League could not give a toss about the football league, and if there was a vote tomorrow, Bournemouth would be out on their ear to be replaced by Leeds or Sunderland.

With so much money swishing about at the top table, they are not bothered about fighting for survival or salary caps.

Should a team like Colchester, Northampton or dare I say QPR went out of business they would hardly even notice.

Measures like Salary caps are necessary to ensure football league clubs survive. Getting them to apply to relegated Premiership clubs would be an almighty struggle.
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

User avatar
QPR-NI
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger
Posts: 1657
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:21 pm
Location: CO Tyrone Northern Ireland

Re: Salary Cap

Post by QPR-NI » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:25 am

ZENITH R wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:37 pm
The big clubs are not bothered about the smaller ones. The Premier League could not give a toss about the football league, and if there was a vote tomorrow, Bournemouth would be out on their ear to be replaced by Leeds or Sunderland.

With so much money swishing about at the top table, they are not bothered about fighting for survival or salary caps.

Should a team like Colchester, Northampton or dare I say QPR went out of business they would hardly even notice.

Measures like Salary caps are necessary to ensure football league clubs survive. Getting them to apply to relegated Premiership clubs would be an almighty struggle.
If the rules are in place,the relegated teams could comply or find some other league to play in.

QPR_John
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 6359
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:35 pm
Location: Reading

Re: Salary Cap

Post by QPR_John » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:55 am

QPR-NI wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:25 am
ZENITH R wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:37 pm
The big clubs are not bothered about the smaller ones. The Premier League could not give a toss about the football league, and if there was a vote tomorrow, Bournemouth would be out on their ear to be replaced by Leeds or Sunderland.

With so much money swishing about at the top table, they are not bothered about fighting for survival or salary caps.

Should a team like Colchester, Northampton or dare I say QPR went out of business they would hardly even notice.

Measures like Salary caps are necessary to ensure football league clubs survive. Getting them to apply to relegated Premiership clubs would be an almighty struggle.
If the rules are in place,the relegated teams could comply or find some other league to play in.

What if the relegated Premier League clubs have entered into contracts with their players for salaries above the FL cap. Contracts are legal documents and even the FL is not above the law. The only thing the FL could do was to refuse entry for the relegated clubs and all that will happen is the PL will simply end promotion and relegation.

Bear-Grills
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger
Posts: 3614
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 7:41 pm

Re: Salary Cap

Post by Bear-Grills » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:53 pm

QPR_John wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:55 am
QPR-NI wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:25 am
ZENITH R wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:37 pm
The big clubs are not bothered about the smaller ones. The Premier League could not give a toss about the football league, and if there was a vote tomorrow, Bournemouth would be out on their ear to be replaced by Leeds or Sunderland.

With so much money swishing about at the top table, they are not bothered about fighting for survival or salary caps.

Should a team like Colchester, Northampton or dare I say QPR went out of business they would hardly even notice.

Measures like Salary caps are necessary to ensure football league clubs survive. Getting them to apply to relegated Premiership clubs would be an almighty struggle.
If the rules are in place,the relegated teams could comply or find some other league to play in.

What if the relegated Premier League clubs have entered into contracts with their players for salaries above the FL cap. Contracts are legal documents and even the FL is not above the law. The only thing the FL could do was to refuse entry for the relegated clubs and all that will happen is the PL will simply end promotion and relegation.
Good point. Perhaps they could say that the cap only applies to new acquisitions? (I'll supply the cat if you bring along the pigeons...)
“Tell the truth the first time, then you don’t have to remember what you said.”

User avatar
QPR-NI
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger
Posts: 1657
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:21 pm
Location: CO Tyrone Northern Ireland

Re: Salary Cap

Post by QPR-NI » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:20 pm

QPR_John wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:55 am
QPR-NI wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:25 am
ZENITH R wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:37 pm
The big clubs are not bothered about the smaller ones. The Premier League could not give a toss about the football league, and if there was a vote tomorrow, Bournemouth would be out on their ear to be replaced by Leeds or Sunderland.

With so much money swishing about at the top table, they are not bothered about fighting for survival or salary caps.

Should a team like Colchester, Northampton or dare I say QPR went out of business they would hardly even notice.

Measures like Salary caps are necessary to ensure football league clubs survive. Getting them to apply to relegated Premiership clubs would be an almighty struggle.
If the rules are in place,the relegated teams could comply or find some other league to play in.

What if the relegated Premier League clubs have entered into contracts with their players for salaries above the FL cap. Contracts are legal documents and even the FL is not above the law. The only thing the FL could do was to refuse entry for the relegated clubs and all that will happen is the PL will simply end promotion and relegation.
Surely that is exactly what happened to us re FFP.

The FL were above the law then.

QPR_John
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 6359
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:35 pm
Location: Reading

Re: Salary Cap

Post by QPR_John » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:54 pm

QPR-NI wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:20 pm
QPR_John wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:55 am
QPR-NI wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:25 am


If the rules are in place,the relegated teams could comply or find some other league to play in.

What if the relegated Premier League clubs have entered into contracts with their players for salaries above the FL cap. Contracts are legal documents and even the FL is not above the law. The only thing the FL could do was to refuse entry for the relegated clubs and all that will happen is the PL will simply end promotion and relegation.
Surely that is exactly what happened to us re FFP.

The FL were above the law then.
Yes I believe FFP is illegal but that can only be proven in a court of law and teams are reluctant to take the FL to court. With a salary cap we are talking about individuals an entirely different situation

User avatar
deadendjob
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 5348
Joined: Sat May 19, 2012 2:56 pm
Location: Auckland, New Zealand

Re: Salary Cap

Post by deadendjob » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:36 pm

The problem with Salary caps is in principle they're a good idea, but clubs will continue to find other ways to lure players to them that still offers an unfair advantage.
Bonuses, accommodation, cars etc
Image

Post Reply