Bidwell

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

jimjams
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Re: Bidwell

Post by jimjams » Thu May 23, 2019 1:36 am

I don't think it's a case of Bidwell's quality per se or Warburton's reappraisal of him. It's just that a 20-year-old Bidwell on 2k a week is a different prospect, value-wise, to a 26-year-old Bidwell on 12k a week. (Pulling those numbers out of thin air, but someone on QPR podcast pointed out that as he was bought for 1million+ he is probably on good is money of around 10k-15k a week.) If we can find a "20-year-old Bidwell" for 2k a week, then we save half a million quid a year and hopefully get a sell-on fee.

the big IP
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by the big IP » Thu May 23, 2019 4:06 am

Makes sense to me

IJM
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by IJM » Thu May 23, 2019 6:22 am

the big IP wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 4:06 am
Makes sense to me
Not if you get relegated in the process though and hence reducing club turnover by falling crowds playing in League 1. its a fine balancing act for sure.

Northolt_Rs
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by Northolt_Rs » Thu May 23, 2019 7:23 am

jimjams wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 1:36 am
If we can find a "20-year-old Bidwell" for 2k a week, then we save half a million quid a year and hopefully get a sell-on fee.
That’s a massive IF for us though. How many times have we found that young, cheap, up and coming gem of a player in recent times?

jimjams
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by jimjams » Thu May 23, 2019 9:40 am

Northolt_Rs wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 7:23 am
jimjams wrote:
If we can find a "20-year-old Bidwell" for 2k a week, then we save half a million quid a year and hopefully get a sell-on fee.
That’s a massive IF for us though. How many times have we found that young, cheap, up and coming gem of a player in recent times?
Doesn't have to be a gem, really. Just has to be a competent left back. If we're lucky he'll be better than that.

Satch
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Thu May 23, 2019 4:15 pm

jimjams wrote:
I don't think it's a case of Bidwell's quality per se or Warburton's reappraisal of him. It's just that a 20-year-old Bidwell on 2k a week is a different prospect, value-wise, to a 26-year-old Bidwell on 12k a week. (Pulling those numbers out of thin air, but someone on QPR podcast pointed out that as he was bought for 1million+ he is probably on good is money of around 10k-15k a week.) If we can find a "20-year-old Bidwell" for 2k a week, then we save half a million quid a year and hopefully get a sell-on fee.
Have you thought about suggesting this to Les? We might as well replace every member of the squad with younger, cheaper comparable players while we're at it.

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Thu May 23, 2019 4:19 pm

Satch wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 4:15 pm
jimjams wrote:
Have you thought about suggesting this to Les? We might as well replace every member of the squad with younger, cheaper comparable players while we're at it.
Many a true word spoken etc.....I wonder if the likes of Scowen, Smith and Luongo would have been let go if their contracts were due to end this June.

Satch
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Thu May 23, 2019 4:30 pm

222gers wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 4:19 pm
Satch wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 4:15 pm
jimjams wrote:
Many a true word spoken etc.....I wonder if the likes of Scowen, Smith and Luongo would have been let go if their contracts come up for expiration this June.
I can't imagine we could afford to keep all 3 on their current salaries. I recall Millwall were interested in Smith but couldn't match his salary. No idea about Scowen but he was on a free. I'd imagine that Luongo is on good money, we signed him when we had just come down and he was garnering interest from the PL allegedly. He also signed an extension when his form was at it's best, so again, i assume that came with a pay rise. I'd assume he or Freeman to be the highest earners at the club.