Possible signings

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

RType
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Re: Possible signings

Post by RType » Mon May 13, 2019 4:12 am

ZENITH R wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 12:09 pm

If we are going to get players back that used to play for us, can we have Sylla & Chery back?
[/quote

I've not heard anything of Chery since he left. Apart from improving his bank balance does anyone know how he's been getting on in China?
Didnt settle in China and now on loan with a team in the Turkish 1st division. Seems to be doing OK, played 31 games and scored 9 goals. That lad could take a free kick.

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Mon May 13, 2019 6:24 am

old pauline wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 8:37 pm
Cousins did come back Esox, yes. But the fact that he wasn't getting in the team at the end when we had all our central midfielders available and Freeman on the bench speaks volumes. IMHO he hasn't progressed while he's been with us and for that reason alone he should go.
Maybe because he was stretchered off with a bad knee injury against Blackburn? He had been our best midfielder for a few months up until then, especially so in the win at the City Ground.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Mon May 13, 2019 6:27 am

White Duck wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 9:31 pm
Esox Lucius wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 7:38 pm
White Duck wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 5:07 pm

Cousins has been a terrible signing and it would be a very poor decision to keep him. Get rid.
You forgot to put "in your opinion". After he was given a run in the side he looked more like the Jordan Cousins we saw at Charlton, and played well in a bad side.
A few good games as he was coming to the end of a 3 year contract where, IMO< he has been mostly useless. All a bit Joel Lynchy for me. IMO.
3 years in which he was never given a run in the side until this season. He is only a year older than Furlong and, IMO, could be a very valuable player for us in the coming seasons when we need player with a bit of experience to help those coming through.

Andy_N19
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Andy_N19 » Mon May 13, 2019 7:38 am

Esox Lucius wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 6:27 am
White Duck wrote:
Esox Lucius wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 7:38 pm

You forgot to put "in your opinion". After he was given a run in the side he looked more like the Jordan Cousins we saw at Charlton, and played well in a bad side.
A few good games as he was coming to the end of a 3 year contract where, IMO< he has been mostly useless. All a bit Joel Lynchy for me. IMO.
3 years in which he was never given a run in the side until this season. He is only a year older than Furlong and, IMO, could be a very valuable player for us in the coming seasons when we need player with a bit of experience to help those coming through.
Sorry Esox, I've seen him play too many mediocre games for us. He hasn't kicked on at all and
as Duck said was playing for an extension to his contract.
Staff Benda Bilili

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Mon May 13, 2019 7:52 am

Andy_N19 wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 7:38 am
Esox Lucius wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 6:27 am
White Duck wrote:

Sorry Esox, I've seen him play too many mediocre games for us. He hasn't kicked on at all and
Source?

UxbridgeR
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by UxbridgeR » Mon May 13, 2019 8:06 am

Andy_N19 wrote:
I wouldn't keep him on either, but I do think the idea that he's been better recently because he was playing for an extension to his contract is a bit of an insult to him. Form is not something that can be turned on and off like a tap, and I've seen no lack of effort from him over his time at QPR.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

White Duck
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by White Duck » Mon May 13, 2019 8:48 am

UxbridgeR wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 8:06 am
Andy_N19 wrote:
I wouldn't keep him on either, but I do think the idea that he's been better recently because he was playing for an extension to his contract is a bit of an insult to him. Form is not something that can be turned on and off like a tap, and I've seen no lack of effort from him over his time at QPR.
Unfortunately I'd say we've seen plenty of lack of effort from Cousins over the years: not getting a tackle in and hiding from the ball has been all too regular in his game. He's got some talent but has rarely shown much of it in the 3 years here. Josh Scowen has shown him what a committed box to box midfield player should be doing oover the last few months.
Lex Talionis........

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Mon May 13, 2019 12:08 pm

White Duck wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 8:48 am
UxbridgeR wrote:
Andy_N19 wrote:
Unfortunately I'd say we've seen plenty of lack of effort from Cousins over the years: not getting a tackle in and hiding from the ball has been all too regular in his game. He's got some talent but has rarely shown much of it in the 3 years here. Josh Scowen has shown him what a committed box to box midfield player should be doing over the last few months.
You've got him mixed up with someone else. Since November he has been tackling, passing and getting stuck in as much as any other of the midfielders. You need to stop projecting your dislike of him on to view of his performances. I suppose you think Eze is lazy?

White Duck
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by White Duck » Mon May 13, 2019 12:28 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 12:08 pm
White Duck wrote:
UxbridgeR wrote:

Unfortunately I'd say we've seen plenty of lack of effort from Cousins over the years: not getting a tackle in and hiding from the ball has been all too regular in his game. He's got some talent but has rarely shown much of it in the 3 years here. Josh Scowen has shown him what a committed box to box midfield player should be doing over the last few months.
You've got him mixed up with someone else. Since November he has been tackling, passing and getting stuck in as much as any other of the midfielders. You need to stop projecting your dislike of him on to view of his performances. I suppose you think Eze is lazy?
Like I said he's had a few good games....in 3 years. They just coincided with the coming to the end of his well paid contract. Still: if you think he's been our best midfielder for months of last season above Freeman, Luongo, Scowen, Eze etc then it must be you who is getting a bit confused.
Lex Talionis........

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Mon May 13, 2019 12:38 pm

White Duck wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 12:28 pm
Esox Lucius wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 12:08 pm
White Duck wrote:

Like I said he's had a few good games....in 3 years. They just coincided with the coming to the end of his well paid contract. Still: if you think he's been our best midfielder for months of last season above Freeman, Luongo, Scowen, Eze etc then it must be you who is getting a bit confused.
Freeman & Eze? Hardly Apples for Apples is it? The manager must have agreed too, as he was keeping Scowen out of the side.

Greyhound
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Greyhound » Mon May 13, 2019 6:17 pm

The thing that leaves me cold about Cousins is his poor touch and often poor passing. Yes, he covers ground well and can put in a tackle, but both Luongo and Scowen are better.

That said, having just had a quick look at his stats to back up my argument, I see that he is our 7th best passer (74%), behind only Exe and Freeman (of those who made 10+ starts). Maybe not so bad.

stainesranger
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainesranger » Mon May 13, 2019 8:19 pm

Never had nearly enough quality in my opinion. Seemed to do slightly better against poorer opposition when he had a bit more time on the ball, but he was never good enough to keep the call under pressure. Those stats about his passing come as a surprise to me too, but stats don’t tell the full story and I’d rather rely on my own recollections.

He had bad luck with injuries, but he never got close to living up to his promise and we’ll never be a decent team at this level with him at centre mid.

jimjams
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by jimjams » Tue May 14, 2019 10:43 am

Greyhound wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 6:17 pm
The thing that leaves me cold about Cousins is his poor touch and often poor passing. Yes, he covers ground well and can put in a tackle, but both Luongo and Scowen are better.

That said, having just had a quick look at his stats to back up my argument, I see that he is our 7th best passer (74%), behind only Exe and Freeman (of those who made 10+ starts). Maybe not so bad.
Take this with a pinch of salt, but I don't know if the stats really make a good case for Cousins.

If you look at the overall passing accuracy he's similar to Scowen, although a little better. But on a per 90 minutes basis, you can see Scowen makes a lot more passes than him (39.4 vs 34) and Luongo even more (42).Cousins is trying less ambitious passes, too: far fewer long balls and "key passes" (so "chances" or passes where the recipient shoots on goal). He also tackles and intercepts much less often than the other two.

Looking at individual games, he just seems to disappear sometimes, making very few passes. I don't know why. Perhaps the issue is that he is not very good at making him available to receive the ball. There doesn't seem to be a particular pattern. His passing stats are excellent against Middlesbrough away (lost 2-1) and not bad in the Norwich thrashing. They are lackluster in the Swansea game we won 4-0, and abysmal against Reading at home (a dismal 0-0, in which neither side played well) and worse in the Preston thrashing.

Obviously there's a limit to this. A hospital pass is a successful pass but it's a bad one, etc. Perhaps Cousins is playing in games where we have less possession. But IMO we need a stronger presence in midfield than Luongo or Scowen, ideally someone who will be a reliable presence in the game who Luongo can work around more busily. That isn't going to be Cousins if he's having games where he's only attempting 25 passes. I agree that there is a player in Cousins, but I fear he might not be able to fulfill that potential in this squad.

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Tue May 14, 2019 12:07 pm

I have held out hope that Cousins would emerge into a useful player for us. I still think there's a possibility he could but it's clear he's not going to get enough game time to get going. I am certain one of the summer signings will be a DCM similar to Cameron to play alongside either Luongo or Scowen who'd play box to box. We could all see the difference Cameron made in the DCM role once he was up to speed. Those players will all be picked ahead of Cousins.

If he was kept on Cousins would be second choice at best, wouldn't get much game time and remain a player struggling for form.

Finding another affordable player to replace him and the others who'll be departing is the big challenge.

Crabsandwich
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by Crabsandwich » Tue May 14, 2019 2:45 pm

Cousins and Pav gone. Decisions to come on Lynch, Bidders and the rest.

https://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/out ... 90.twitter