Has this season been a success or a disaster?

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

Systemsguy
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Re: Has this season been a success or a disaster?

Post by Systemsguy » Wed May 01, 2019 11:02 am

A bit of both...

We had a bit of a cup run and stayed up.... Success

Warren Farm looks like it's got a green light finally... Success

The youth is at last is seemingly starting to blossom and sending them out will have protected them from the negative atmosphere prevailing the club since the start of 2019.... Success

We will finish lower than last season even with a former England manager in charge..... Disaster

Our parachute payments have finally run out and more budget cuts are required for next season... Disaster

We will likely lose our best players during the summer for the "right price" to balance the books..... Disaster

Personally just glad we will very soon have a summer off before returning to Cirque Du QPR in the autumn...
2019/2020.... Keep Calm, no matter the season, we'll follow our team.....

QPRSTEVE75
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by QPRSTEVE75 » Wed May 01, 2019 11:46 am

It was a crappy season on the whole and may get worse before it gets better. But...football is cyclical at all levels and we will have better days. Just look at Liverpool, Leeds and Luton to name a few with different aspirations and who have had worse cycles than they have been used to.

So a crap season, yes. Will it get better? maybe. Will we ever have a play off final, cup final, championship winning season again? Most definitely

Rbee
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Wed May 01, 2019 12:52 pm

QPRSTEVE75 wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 11:46 am
Will we ever have a play off final, cup final, championship winning season again? Most definitely
Agreed although it may not be in our life time.

sparkypark
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by sparkypark » Thu May 02, 2019 10:59 am

Neither, just another season of gradual decline.
Between my finger and my thumb the squat pen rests. I'll dig with it.

ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R » Thu May 02, 2019 1:58 pm

Well, on the 1st August last year (before a ball had been kicked) I didn't expect to see us get promoted. I thought there was a better chance we might get relegated, and with another new manager it was hard to anticipate how things might go. Pretty much how I feel about next season really too.

We didn't get promoted - our highest position all season being 8th at the turn of the year. We couldn't realistically say we flirted with promotion at any point during the season, since we didn't enter the top six at any stage of the season. Not even in it's fledgling days. We were bottom after losing to WBA and Bristol City in August (with an aggregate goal difference of 10-1. Then there was a slow climb, and we were out of the bottom three by the middle of September never to return. It got a bit hairy towards the end, but we are eight points clear with one game to go.

We have blooded a number of youngsters and that bodes well for next season. We also found out a lot about certain members of the squad.

Is there a cash reward for where you finish, as there is the Premiership? If so, how much more would we have got for finishing five or ten places higher? If not, I guess it doesn't really matter. We didn't go up, we didn't go down - job done.

As for next year, who knows? There are plenty of examples of teams having very different seasons year on year. Huddersfield struggled the year before they got promoted, and having got to the play offs for two or three years in a row, Sheffield Wednesday then had a stinker.

So, for me it finished about right.
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

arrystottle
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by arrystottle » Sat May 04, 2019 8:07 am

It has been an awful season overseen by a truly awful manager and I still cant help feeling we would have been better off relegated to League 1 where most of our players would have been at their level and we would have had more chance to rebuild rather than an even worse season in the Championship which seems more than likely.

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Sat May 04, 2019 8:35 am

dm wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:05 pm
It may be a season we will re-evaluate after a dozen games or so of the new season in terms of how the youngsters have been handled. The 2019/20 first team squad will contain up to a third of them. Will they be prepared to step up and help us survive the drop next season?
I agree things might look better in hindsight. Sending the youngsters out on loan nearly backfired on us, well it did backfire but we got away with it. Some of them got some gametime in at their loan clubs which should be helpful.

Smyth and Chair may do very well for us next season. The key seems to be getting a couple of “older heads” in. With little or no cash that's a tall order.

White Duck
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by White Duck » Sat May 04, 2019 10:22 am

arrystottle wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 8:07 am
It has been an awful season overseen by a truly awful manager and I still cant help feeling we would have been better off relegated to League 1 where most of our players would have been at their level and we would have had more chance to rebuild rather than an even worse season in the Championship which seems more than likely.
Getting relegated would've been a disaster, both on the field and financially. If most of our players are League 1 level we would've been relegated to League 1. I'm confident we will have a better season next time around IF we get the managerial appointment right this time.
Lex Talionis........

old pauline
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by old pauline » Sat May 04, 2019 11:27 am

White Duck wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 10:22 am
arrystottle wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 8:07 am
Getting relegated would've been a disaster, both on the field and financially. If most of our players are League 1 level we would've been relegated to League 1. I'm confident we will have a better season next time around IF we get the managerial appointment right this time.

I agree. I think its very rare that there is a case for getting relegated. Unless you are a Bolton and you almost need to become a semi-professional club I think you should strive to play as high as possible even if it means that you lose more games than you win.
Come on you Sooopa ........