Has this season been a success or a disaster?

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

beaglebum
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Has this season been a success or a disaster?

Post by beaglebum » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:45 am

The success
On New Years day QPR had played 26 games and were on 39 pts. We didn't know it at the time but Steve McLaren had virtually guaranteed QPR another season in the championship as by the look of it, Rotherham will go down on 40pts. When was the last time that happened to QPR? The promotion seasons I guess. Ok 3 teams getting relegated below 40pts is unusual but after our disastrous start every one of us would've settled for staying up no matter what.

The disaster
Then it all went wrong. Expectation got to high. All of us based on the the form we were in and the cup run, believed we could muster a challenge for the playoffs, after all it was very congested in the middle of the table and we had a good a chance as anyone. How and why it went wrong is a complete mystery. Bad luck, fixture congestion, the club not taking down the Christmas decorations on time, who knows. But ultimately we blew everything and if it wasnt for the 3 poor relegated teams we could've (and should've) gone down.

Conclusion
This poses at least 3 questions? How on earth did we manage to get to 39pts by NYD and how on earth did we then deserved to get relegated? And thirdly was appointing SMc in the summer the right thing to do?

If those 48pts we have amassed were spread evenly out over the season and we had constantly been 5-8pts above the bottom 3, many of us would be saying "well done SMc for keeping us up" and he would still be in a job. However it didn't pan out like that and it looks like we will end the season the same we we started it by 4 straight defeats. The last time we finished below 50pts was in 2000/01 when we got relegated. Even the disastrous Gary Waddiock side finished on 50pts https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of ... C._seasons

So all said and done, this has been a bad season after one which showed must promise. However without any new manager on the horizon, at the moment I'm thinking it was a mistake to sack SMc, even after the disastrous run . The club has been crying out for stability for years and sacking Holloway was a mistake which may have just been repeated. We rarely improve after sacking a manager as the above link shows. So unless the new guy can work wonders I really fear for the future.

So based on finishing 8pts above the bottom 3 it's been a successful campaign. But based on putting QPR in a worse position then the season before, with so many out of contract players, returning loanees and untried youth players, it's been a season to forget and a horrible 2019.

Northolt_Rs
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Re: Has this season been a success or a disaster?

Post by Northolt_Rs » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:58 am

From 39 points on Jan 1 to 48 points on 28 April.....Wow that really is an unprecedented decline even by our miserable standards.

Damien
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Damien » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:18 am

Tale of two halves for me. Even when we were winning, which after our horrific start was very welcome, I never expected a Play-off push, as I was all too aware of the limitations of this squad. However our form and results in 2019 have flumaxed me. Anyone presiding over our race to the bottom deserved the sack. Problem is... the race might not be finished yet. The new man has a job few in football will envy I reckon.

White Duck
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by White Duck » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:36 am

Its been neither a success (top half finish) or a disaster (relegated) but its been a lot closer to the latter than the former.
We have not progressed at all from last season and the Holloway sacking/McLaren appointment proved to be a waste of time.
Can't believe anyone would say we should've kept McLaren on for next season: his stats for 2019 are appalling and he deserved to go.
Really important they get a manager who will work properly with the younger players to develop them and not be allowed to loan in big name players as a short term fix.

Despite all the doom and gloom I believe we have a number of promising players who could do a decent job for us: Eze, BOS, Furlong, Manning, Smyth, Chair etc. Lumley played well yesterday and should also keep improving. Leistner, Scowen and Smith are decent enough at this level as well. Hopefully sell Freeman for good money and Luongo for reasonable money and get rid of the out of contract and loan players (keep Pav and possibly Cameron if money was right).
Lex Talionis........

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:05 pm

It may be a season we will re-evaluate after a dozen games or so of the new season in terms of how the youngsters have been handled. The 2019/20 first team squad will contain up to a third of them. Will they be prepared to step up and help us survive the drop next season?
Last edited by dm on Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stans left foot
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Stans left foot » Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:08 pm

add in Goss too?
"Fing Poo Wah" ( your comments are as much interest to me as a dogs fart ).

Wegerle
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Wegerle » Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:03 pm

This season hasn't been a disaster or a succes but has been very worrying. We have lost a seasoned manager and our form the past 4 months is 100% relegation form. Things can change overnight in football but as it stands today there are worrying times ahead.

Montag
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Montag » Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:41 pm

I'd say it's been a succsarster. Started with shieser in the mush for the fans. Brightened up. Started winning games, away games 'n' all. Even Forest for the 1st time ever. Good cup run - were unlucky to get knocked out. The team that put us out made the final. Then it went pear shaped (although league form had been slipping already). Worst run in a long time but still avoided relegation comfortably and get excellent wins against Leeds and Swansea. Certainly the weirdest season in my near 50 years supporting QPR. Can't help wondering how we would've done with Ollie still here. He must be feeling smug right now.
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."
Richard III, Act IV, W. Shakespeare

222gers
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:59 pm

I wouldn't say we have avoided relegation comfortably. We are lucky the bottom three have been particularly dismal this season. On some other seasons we would have gone down with our points total. As it is we may only finish fourth from bottom.
The crowd has been remarkably tolerant this season and I hope they will remain so next season when the team will presumably consist of mainly youngsters.
I think the team may do better than many fans think next term, and hope the crowd really get behind the team.

Greyhound
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Greyhound » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:07 pm

I enjoyed a lot of the football pre-Christmas, there were some cracking games, but the last few months have been almost as bad as anything I can remember.

Ultimately, the choice of the last manager was Fernandes', and it was a mistake. We have to go all in on our youth and whatever players we can scout like Leistner, Scowen and Freeman who will fit with the economic constraints. We're also going to need a bit of patience, because teams built on youth don't become successful overnight.

Rbee
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:32 pm

We stayed up so it was a success.

deepseahoop
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by deepseahoop » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:04 pm

If that was a success then we have a very low bar. pribbling idle-headed giglet me that was painful especially as we threatened to get into the playoffs at one point untill we then threatened to get into division1.
Im confused by our financial abilities having gone for broke and now apparently being just that, pribbling idle-headed giglet whats happened to the club i love? Answers on a post card.
Crying won't help you praying won't do you no good

jimjams
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by jimjams » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:00 pm

It was a success that didn't last.

After the West Brom debacle, SM built a team from the back forward that was actually quite a success. But then around the time that Reading etc. realised that Eze would close down but not tackle, we lost Cameron, Hemed and Rangel. Wells also suffered a permanent drop in form and we really had every right to expect better from him.

What we had in reserve just wasn't enough to make up for this. Scowen and Luongo are not strong enough to run the midfield as a two. Like many on here, SM obviously saw a player in Cousins, but cometh the hour, the man wasn't there. Furlong is not a bad player and I think he's finished a better one than he started, but he will never have the conservative temperament of Rangel that was so valuable. And so on.

So it was a success, and one that showed that this team doesn't need a complete overhaul to compete, but it was built on flimsy foundations and fell apart too easily.

HoopHappy
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by HoopHappy » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:42 pm

It may not be a coincidence that we went into freefall just after the New Year when the transfer window opened. Being embargoed, we weren’t able to bring in new blood and provide competition for places or add a bit of quality, which other clubs were able to do.That’s not to say that the scale of out freefall is completely explained by this, but it’s definitely a contributing factor.

It’s frustrating because we know that these players can turn up and can dig in to get a result, they just seem to have run out of steam and and McClaren ultimately paid the price for not being able to find a new formula to get the best out of them.

BiscuitRanger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by BiscuitRanger » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:51 pm

When your dog is sick, how many vets do you blame before accepting your dog is just for Christmas.
Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brain falls out.