QPR v Stoke

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

User avatar
Systemsguy
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 5289
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:19 pm

Re: QPR v Stoke

Post by Systemsguy » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:58 pm

Damien wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:54 pm
222gers wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:51 pm
That was about as bad a game as one could imagine. Hardly any guile from us, not even from Freeman. Precious little urgency until the latter stages. I forgot Hemed was playing until late on when he challenged for a few balls.
Very few causes for optimism - BOS seemed to worry the Stoke defence on occasions and that's it. This team can look absolutely awful on a bad day and this was certainly a bad day !
Drop Wells or Hemed and give BOS the rest of the season. That should give us a better look at him.
Hey hey hey..... Let's get the requisite points for safety before experimenting.... Ollie led us down that road and we struggled with a 6 game losing streak towards the back end of the season he took over....

My view for what it's worth....

We seemingly were setup quite defensively set for a hard battle with a quite physical team.... The early sending off negated this threat....

We didn't change our tactics!

Why? I don't know.... Maybe to early in the game perhaps....

The change at half time was Pawel for BOS.... You wonder if the yellow he received just before the half ended influenced it....

We then had no width on the right until Shodipo came on which just felt too late for me and Cousins playing at right back seemingly couldn't cross his legs today let alone a ball...

Could have done with Furlong on a lot earlier for Cousins as well to give us a threat on both wings.....

Both red cards were justified and overall the ref had a good game imo....
2018/2019.... Keep Calm, no matter the season, we'll follow our team.....

User avatar
222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger
Posts: 4879
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:55 pm
Location: LONDON

Re: QPR v Stoke

Post by 222gers » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:14 pm

Well we have at least one change for the Rotherham game with Hall being suspended. I wonder if SMC will put Furlong at CB and retain Cousins at RB.
Don't know if Smith will still be injured but don't fancy Hemed to play again.
We should be strong enough to beat Rotherham anyway and be almost safe as a result.

QPR_John
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 6350
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:35 pm
Location: Reading

Re: QPR v Stoke

Post by QPR_John » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:53 pm

Mr Beef wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:07 pm
Damien wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:58 pm
QPR_John wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:27 pm


Under FFP what can they do. They cannot finance the type of player we are short of even if they wanted to
Brentford and PNE can't be paying a fortune for their players - why can we follow their example. What is the best he point of football if you can't improve... within reason. How long are people going to keep on going and paying good money to watch stagnation at best, and decline at worst. We aren't the only club with limited resources, but seem to be shite if we spend a fortune or spend nothing. Are we really that cursed?
Agreed. Some are complaining about FFP, not because they believe in fairness in football, but because we just happen to have rich owners that can buy our way out of the mess we're in. They're entitled to do have that view of course, but as you say other clubs are able to do it differently, clubs we'd previously aspired to being like.
We really have amazing supporters at this club who can read the minds of fellow supporters. FFP has nothing to do with fairness in football as far as I am concerned in fact it is more to do with unfairness and the wealth of our owners has nothing to do with my opinion.

Damien
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor
Posts: 10549
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:23 pm
Location: Northern Ireland

Re: QPR v Stoke

Post by Damien » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:11 pm

QPR_John wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:53 pm
Mr Beef wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:07 pm
Damien wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:58 pm
Brentford and PNE can't be paying a fortune for their players - why can we follow their example. What is the best he point of football if you can't improve... within reason. How long are people going to keep on going and paying good money to watch stagnation at best, and decline at worst. We aren't the only club with limited resources, but seem to be shite if we spend a fortune or spend nothing. Are we really that cursed?
Agreed. Some are complaining about FFP, not because they believe in fairness in football, but because we just happen to have rich owners that can buy our way out of the mess we're in. They're entitled to do have that view of course, but as you say other clubs are able to do it differently, clubs we'd previously aspired to being like.
We really have amazing supporters at this club who can read the minds of fellow supporters. FFP has nothing to do with fairness in football as far as I am concerned in fact it is more to do with unfairness and the wealth of our owners has nothing to do with my opinion.
I don't think anyone is denying that FFP is unfair - though I'll admit I'm a bit surprised the effect it is having on our club. All I'm saying is maybe we need to go about changing our fortunes in a different way. The two clubs I used as examples, have managed with probably less than us. We need as a club to stop feeling sorry for ourselves, and really focus on what we can do with what we have. I alluded to "mental strength" in another post, and I believe we are lacking this on and off the pitch at the moment. Get this right, and I believe we will see an upturn in our fortunes. We've done it successfully in the past... so why not now?

User avatar
Giorgio
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor
Posts: 4379
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:03 pm
Location: Dublin

Re: QPR v Stoke

Post by Giorgio » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:15 am

..something that I noticed today, actually not only today, but today in particular when Stoke was left 10 man after 8 minutes (!!!!), the fact that
nobody is moving, proposing, cutting up front....we don't go into the corners or down the wings enough, something that would open the defences and create spaces also in the middle...we are slow, too slow, even when a player is free to receive the ball, once the ball arrives he is already marked and blocked....

User avatar
Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip
Posts: 20821
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:17 pm
Location: Banbury, Oxon.

Re: QPR v Stoke

Post by Esox Lucius » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:28 am

Damien wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:00 pm
stainesranger wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:22 pm
Today was so unenjoyable. But I think the result is fine. Stops the rot. Had we lost today it would’ve been a meltdown.
Agree about the point and clean sheet. But 80mins against ten, and not one real chance is abject in anyone's language. Good job the two points dropped shouldn't be costly.
We had four shots on target; a scuffer from Scowen barely worth the title, two much better on target shots which drew smart saves from Butland and the spin and shot from Nahki which I was rising to acclaim as a goal until Butland pulled off a worldy save. This post and another in this thread seem to illustrate the problem isn't with QPR, it is with you. It was a very poor game yesterday, not helped by a strong swirling wind which caused both sides to overhit passes on many occasions. Looking at the Stoke team sheet, even without Berahino, I was pondering why they weren't challenging for an auto spot this season and along with those around me, we would have settled for a draw before the game.
One of the problems was that QPR are too inexperienced in the dark arts which led to Pavel being rmoved after his booking and Grant Hall getting sucked in at the end and eventually getting sent off. Adams and Shawcross were persistently niggling and feigning fouls and the ref, who I thought was better than we have had recently, bought into it. There were some good passages of playing out from the back, good interplay in the midfield but we have no cutting edge and no intelligent movement in the last quarter. Wells was very good in every area except the one we really need him to excel in, scoring goals, but he no longer seems to be getting into positions, bar the spin and turn, where he can get goals. It is a curates egg this season but I honestly can't see us getting into relegation worries because the endeavour and energy is still patently there in the players, we just lack the players to carve through experienced teams like Stoke. A 5/10 performance from Rangers in a 4/5 game but a draw and a clean sheet as a positive.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

User avatar
DG
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 6307
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:45 am

Re: QPR v Stoke

Post by DG » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:43 am

Esox Lucius wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:28 am
Damien wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:00 pm
stainesranger wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:22 pm
Today was so unenjoyable. But I think the result is fine. Stops the rot. Had we lost today it would’ve been a meltdown.
Agree about the point and clean sheet. But 80mins against ten, and not one real chance is abject in anyone's language. Good job the two points dropped shouldn't be costly.
We had four shots on target; a scuffer from Scowen barely worth the title, two much better on target shots which drew smart saves from Butland and the spin and shot from Nahki which I was rising to acclaim as a goal until Butland pulled off a worldy save. This post and another in this thread seem to illustrate the problem isn't with QPR, it is with you. It was a very poor game yesterday, not helped by a strong swirling wind which caused both sides to overhit passes on many occasions. Looking at the Stoke team sheet, even without Berahino, I was pondering why they weren't challenging for an auto spot this season and along with those around me, we would have settled for a draw before the game.
One of the problems was that QPR are too inexperienced in the dark arts which led to Pavel being rmoved after his booking and Grant Hall getting sucked in at the end and eventually getting sent off. Adams and Shawcross were persistently niggling and feigning fouls and the ref, who I thought was better than we have had recently, bought into it. There were some good passages of playing out from the back, good interplay in the midfield but we have no cutting edge and no intelligent movement in the last quarter. Wells was very good in every area except the one we really need him to excel in, scoring goals, but he no longer seems to be getting into positions, bar the spin and turn, where he can get goals. It is a curates egg this season but I honestly can't see us getting into relegation worries because the endeavour and energy is still patently there in the players, we just lack the players to carve through experienced teams like Stoke. A 5/10 performance from Rangers in a 4/5 game but a draw and a clean sheet as a positive.
Spot on, again Esox.
Locum meum praecepta mea

User avatar
Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip
Posts: 20821
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:17 pm
Location: Banbury, Oxon.

Re: QPR v Stoke

Post by Esox Lucius » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:59 am

Thank you Drew, I do try to provide a honest, if slightly rose tinted, view of games and I honestly believe that I have had my moneys worth out of my season ticket this season. As mentioned elsewhere I was talking to Geoff Cameron and he thinks our poor form is down to the lack of experience among the youngsters but he thinks they will get better and better as the games played pile up for them. Right here and now I am going to state that I think we will be in the real threat of a season long relegation battle next season because that is the corner we are being forced into by the P & S side of FFP. There will be the usual fans who will be after the sacking of the manager after every defeat or draw without having any grasp of what is going on. My S/T is on auto renew and I am not in the least inclined to cancel that arrangement, these are the times that the club needs all the fans to be behind them, not just on play off final day.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

Post Reply