Another bullet dodged, all be it 50 years ago

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

Stans left foot
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Another bullet dodged, all be it 50 years ago

Post by Stans left foot » Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:09 pm

Just a note, if you fall into the "old fart" category you may remember John Bloom.

He made and lost a fortune and recently passed away. His forte was selling washing machines in the 60's for less money than the prime producers, nothing new there.

Reading his obituary it's interesting to note he made an offer to buy Queens Park Rangers which was thoughtfully declined. At the time of course had the deal gone through this would have been a major cash injection and maybe infrastructure changes too.

As it was the deal floundered and Bloom lost his fortune shortly after ( beginning to make sense / relevance ?)

I recall his show-room / operation up the top end of Colindale as you travelled down toward Staples Corner. Interestingly these moguls do appear more regularly than Halley's Comet so maybe it's a question of sitting tight for the next one to come along. :shock:
"Fing Poo Wah" ( your comments are as much interest to me as a dogs fart ).

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Re: Another bullet dodged, all be it 50 years ago

Post by 222gers » Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:45 pm

I think the machines were called Rolls Razor. My memory is poor, I thought he actually did have involvement with the club, the move to the White City being the start of the process of turning the Rangers into a top club.
As we all know that didn't bear fruit, but thanks to Alec Stock we made it in the end.

Bear-Grills
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Bear-Grills » Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:45 pm

Stans left foot wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:09 pm
...maybe it's a question of sitting tight for the next one to come along. :shock:
I'd bet it won't come along before the next scheme to consolidate all the money and talent in English football into the top 6 clubs
“Tell the truth the first time, then you don’t have to remember what you said.”

Montag
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Montag » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:12 pm

Didn't a toothpaste bloke own Rangers before Jim G?
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."
Richard III, Act IV, W. Shakespeare

Stans left foot
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Stans left foot » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:41 pm

I might be old, but I'm not that old....
can't remember

when my dad - just around the war, was close to the Club, it was Builders/Gregory, + local businesses. Afraid that local feel has gone from the club.

Brought up on Roy of the Rovers type ideals, the problem with many of us may be that if that were us, skilled, talented and good at the game, we'd all be one-club players and Rangers would be our club.

Why ever move, that's all you'd ever want. Oddly I don't begrudge Freeman a move away if he gets his chance. he merits it simply by hard work and well done all at QPR who have fashioned him accordingly.

( that's another thing that pisses me off about Bristol City, they had their chance to develop and grow him and failed to do so. Its our scouting and ( limited) training capacity that made him the player we now see, arguably. )
"Fing Poo Wah" ( your comments are as much interest to me as a dogs fart ).

Systemsguy
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Systemsguy » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:43 am

Saint Jim was a mixed bag for the club....

Ruthless with managerial appointments, loved certain players and managers like they were illegitimate sprogs...

Invested a hell of a lot of money into the club (his sons reportedly hated the club due to this).

Financed the greatest team to have graced the Loftus road pitch... ( 5 England internationals! 6 if you count Dave Clement's later selection )

He blotted his copy book with the FPR fiasco and Bulstrode et al on his exit from the club...

But we still sit in the stadium Saint Jim built for all the promises made by Uncle Tony since 2011...

Bless ya Jim...
2018/2019.... Keep Calm, no matter the season, we'll follow our team.....

QPR_John
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by QPR_John » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:43 am

Systemsguy wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:43 am
Saint Jim was a mixed bag for the club....

Ruthless with managerial appointments, loved certain players and managers like they were illegitimate sprogs...

Invested a hell of a lot of money into the club (his sons reportedly hated the club due to this).

Financed the greatest team to have graced the Loftus road pitch... ( 5 England internationals! 6 if you count Dave Clement's later selection )

He blotted his copy book with the FPR fiasco and Bulstrode et al on his exit from the club...

But we still sit in the stadium Saint Jim built for all the promises made by Uncle Tony since 2011...

Bless ya Jim...
Jim Gregory developed Loftus Road. Much easier than finding space for a new stadium in West London

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:21 pm

Going off at a bit of a tangent but germane to talking about 50 years ago, I wonder what Alec Stock would have thought of “game management” ?

Montag
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Montag » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:04 am

Toothpaste magnate was it?
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."
Richard III, Act IV, W. Shakespeare