Financial Fair Play

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

Montag
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Financial Fair Play

Post by Montag » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:02 pm

We all know what a farce this EFL policy is. I wondered to myself what would REALLY constitute FFP rather than this absolute dog's turd of a policy. This is what I think, not that it counts for anything. True FFP should be a level ceiling on spending regardless of revenue generated. That way, smaller clubs could be grown as in any other business scenario providing that the owners were responsible for investment and any debt was not off-loaded onto the club. The ceiling would be based on the clubs with the highest income which is nearly always the relegated PL clubs. I don't honestly believe the current system can be legal under corporate law but no club really wants to challenge it for fear of reprisals (ala QPR). Surely, if things don't change, they'll stop as they are? What does anyone else think?
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."
Richard III, Act IV, W. Shakespeare

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Re: Financial Fair Play

Post by 222gers » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:40 pm

I would have thought that FFP constitutes a Restraint Of Trade and is therefore illegal. However, I'm sure our legal team would have tried that though.
I wonder if the EFL try to punish, say Aston Villa, that they might come a cropper.

White Duck
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by White Duck » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:54 am

The whole thing is a bloody joke and hopefully will soon come crashing down as more and more 'big' clubs fall foul of the 'rules'.

How ridiculous is it that total different rules apply in the top league and clubs in the Championship can flagrantly break and smash the financial restrictions and get away with it IF they are promoted? The toothless EFL then have to wait for these clubs ro be relegated to punish them.

And clubs such as Villa and Forest who were reported as being near certain failures of FFP now have new owners and the press etc now say that their financial issues are behind them and they can now keep their best players and invest in the playing squad again: surely FFP doesnt allow this?

At least a third of the clubs in the Championship must be failing FFP imo: let's see what the EFL do bout this. I wonder if Shaun Harvey deciding to leave his job there is an indication that it's all about to come crashing down for them: let's hope so.
Last edited by White Duck on Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lex Talionis........

UxbridgeR
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by UxbridgeR » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:45 am

White Duck wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:54 am
How ridiculous is it that total different rules apply in the top league and clubs in the Championship can flagrantly break and smash the financial restrictions and get away with it IF they are promoted? The toothless EFL then have to wait for these clubs are relegated to punish them.
They don't get away with it. Bournemouth and Leicester have both stayed up since promotion from the EFL, and paid fines for overspending in their promotion seasons.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

fxbghdfn
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by fxbghdfn » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:47 am

A lot of these clubs spending big can also sell big. I'd imagine Villa will sell Grealish for £25-30 mil in the summer and be sorted, whereas we'll sell Freeman for some Tesco clubcard vouchers.

White Duck
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by White Duck » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:52 am

UxbridgeR wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:45 am
White Duck wrote:
How ridiculous is it that total different rules apply in the top league and clubs in the Championship can flagrantly break and smash the financial restrictions and get away with it IF they are promoted? The toothless EFL then have to wait for these clubs are relegated to punish them.
They don't get away with it. Bournemouth and Leicester have both stayed up since promotion from the EFL, and paid fines for overspending in their promotion seasons.
Yes they do: they paid nominal fines to make the issue go away. Bournemouth £4.75m and Leicester £3.1m, no transfer embargo, and no further action if they were to get relegated.
Lex Talionis........

White Duck
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by White Duck » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:55 am

fxbghdfn wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:47 am
A lot of these clubs spending big can also sell big. I'd imagine Villa will sell Grealish for £25-30 mil in the summer and be sorted, whereas we'll sell Freeman for some Tesco clubcard vouchers.
We'll see: they could've sold him to Tottenham in the summer but decided not to.
If we sell Freeman for next to nothing in the summer then I give up.
Lex Talionis........

Montag
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Montag » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:58 am

It really is a blood boiling situation for us. We are almost certain to lose Freeman this year as we did Smithies last year. What chance does any manager have of building a quality side in these conditions? Then there's the whole nicking youth players thing. What happened to Parrett? Never made the grade at Tossnenham just loaned out down below. Farce.
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."
Richard III, Act IV, W. Shakespeare

Systemsguy
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Systemsguy » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:03 pm

aniwall aniwall aniwall

Ad nauseam ....
2018/2019.... Keep Calm, no matter the season, we'll follow our team.....

UxbridgeR
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by UxbridgeR » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:15 pm

Systemsguy wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:03 pm
aniwall aniwall aniwall

Ad nauseam ....
I feel your pain....

UxbridgeR
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by UxbridgeR » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:25 pm

White Duck wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:52 am
UxbridgeR wrote:
White Duck wrote:
Yes they do: they paid nominal fines to make the issue go away. Bournemouth £4.75m and Leicester £3.1m, no transfer embargo, and no further action if they were to get relegated.
A lot of people believe QPR "got away with it". Brazenly broke the rules, raked in £150M or so of TV money and parachute payments, and eventually agreed a fine of £17M, payable over 10 years. There's not a lot of sympathy outside of our fan base for the view that we've been hard done by.

White Duck
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by White Duck » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:32 pm

UxbridgeR wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:25 pm
White Duck wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:52 am
UxbridgeR wrote:

A lot of people believe QPR "got away with it". Brazenly broke the rules, raked in £150M or so of TV money and parachute payments, and eventually agreed a fine of £17M, payable over 10 years. There's not a lot of sympathy outside of our fan base for the view that we've been hard done by.
Yeah we really 'got away with it' with our pitifully low £17m penalty and transfer embargo. Especially compared to all the other clubs who have done and are doing exactly the same things who have hardly been punished or not punished at all yet. Let's see what happens with them shall we?
Lex Talionis........

Systemsguy
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Systemsguy » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:46 pm

I thought the RAOIS folder was especially created for this type of nonsense that just goes over the same thing time and time again....

No real add to the discussion apart from we've been victimised ad neaseam and how unfair the EFL are... and why doesn't (insert club name) get punished as well...

IF..... theres something worth debating about and is relevant FINE
2018/2019.... Keep Calm, no matter the season, we'll follow our team.....

White Duck
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by White Duck » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:25 pm

Systemsguy wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:46 pm
I thought the RAOIS folder was especially created for this type of nonsense that just goes over the same thing time and time again....

No real add to the discussion apart from we've been victimised ad neaseam and how unfair the EFL are... and why doesn't (insert club name) get punished as well...

IF..... theres something worth debating about and is relevant FINE
FFP is massively affecting QPR so what's the issue with talking about it on the QPR forum?
If you don't like it then don't read the thread.
Lex Talionis........

QPR_John
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by QPR_John » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:02 pm

FFP if we are to believe what the authorities say, let's be generous, was introduced to stop clubs going into administration. Surely it should allow owners to invest in clubs if no returns on that investment puts the club in peril. A blanket ban on owners putting money into a club above a certain level is clearly designed to keep the status quo.