Just Back On The Island...

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

SM
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Just Back On The Island...

Post by SM » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:53 pm

Well, what a thoroughly predictable outing that was...

First half was fairly balanced, Brentford missed a sitter that their striker just poked wide, but aside from that both teams were evenly matched.

The ball didn’t quite fall after a bit of a mix up between Freeman and Luongo, which would have left either through one on one. 0-0 at half time was a fair reflection on the game.

Brentford started the second half much the stronger, and it looked like Hall misjudged the flight of the ball and left his man racing through on Lumley. Not sure if a penalty as not seen it back yet, but looked a fair call from where we were.

From the moment they went 1-0 up it was game over. We huffed and puffed, but looked so disjointed and genuinely believe we could still be playing now and would be lucky to muster a shot on target - let alone score.

Only player to leave the game with any real credit was Lumley. He was outstanding, and if it wasn’t for him we would have conceded at least another 2 or 3. One of his saves in the second half was just breathtaking.

Big fan of Luongo, but he was very poor today. Pawel typically ran himself into the ground but was hooked off. Eze very ineffective. Wells held ball up well on a few occasions, but far too isolated and absolutely no service to feed off of.

Fans were superb and made plenty of noise. Deserved a lot, lot better.

Real shame to follow up on the superb Leeds performance with such a poor defeat.
Isle Of Wight R'ssssssssss

Rbee
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Re: Just Back On The Island...

Post by Rbee » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:01 pm

Thank you SM much appreciated.

Eze has been disappointing of late. Once we are mathematically safe I hope Schteve experiments and looks for another way with next season in mind.

White Duck
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by White Duck » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:17 pm

Thanks for the report SM: sounds like our fans were let down by the team today in the 2nd half. Our recent away performances have just not been good enough which is a disappointment as we seemed like we'd cracked how to be competitive away from home.
Lex Talionis........

ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:36 am

I saw the goals on SSN ...

The penalty looked very soft. It seemed to me Hall was pushed in the back, fell and the striker went over him. The second one, what was Lumley doing? It is rarely a good idea for a goalkeeper to leave his area, and all too often it goes badly for him and the team - as yesterday. The game was done when they hit their third in the 5th minute of injury time.
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

Stans left foot
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Stans left foot » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:56 pm

I'm depressed

I have no comments or witticisms to add to this thread. Fact is 1 step forward then back again, it's been that sort of a season with the Angel/Cameron injuries not helping.

Just pha..... aniwall But thanks for the report SM sounds,....depressing.
"Fing Poo Wah" ( your comments are as much interest to me as a dogs fart ).

Damien
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Damien » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:21 pm

Thanks SM.

old pauline
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by old pauline » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:41 pm

Stans left foot wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:56 pm
I'm depressed

I have no comments or witticisms to add to this thread. Fact is 1 step forward then back again, it's been that sort of a season with the Angel/Cameron injuries not helping.

The reality is that we are going nowhere fast.

We have one player who can turn a game for us. All the others rely on motivation and hard work and effort to combine to make a creditable team and I am not convinced that SMC can do that week on week, If Freeman goes I can only see League One.

Looking ahead all we can hope for is three teams which are in a more parlous state than us next season.

The stadium plans are pie in the sky, There isn't a package which is going to make a big stadium stack up at the Linford Christie venue.

Sorry guys, but it could be time to focus on other things outside of Saturday from 3 until 5.
Come on you Sooopa ........

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:22 pm

old pauline wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:41 pm
Stans left foot wrote:
I'm depressed

We have one player who can turn a game for us. All the others rely on motivation and hard work and effort to combine to make a creditable team and I am not convinced that SMC can do that week on week, If Freeman goes I can only see League One.

Looking ahead all we can hope for is three teams which are in a more parlous state than us next season.

The stadium plans are pie in the sky, There isn't a package which is going to make a big stadium stack up at the Linford Christie venue.

Sorry guys, but it could be time to focus on other things outside of Saturday from 3 until 5.
Unless or until FFP changes we will indeed always be looking for a few clubs that are boracic lint or grossly mismanaged to stay ahead of and avoid relegation. They, in turn, will be doing the same looking at us. It'd just be our luck that by the time they change FFP rules we would no longer have wealthy owners anyway.
On the brighter side we do have a clutch of promising youngsters although SMC doesn't consider them ready yet. Also, if we do drop to League one,we'd have our Saturday 3pm KOs back - no international breaks or TV games to mess up our schedule.

Satch
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:24 pm

old pauline wrote:
Stans left foot wrote:
I'm depressed

Why? i'll still watch them in league one.

ZENITH R wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:36 am
I saw the goals on SSN ...

The penalty looked very soft. It seemed to me Hall was pushed in the back, fell and the striker went over him. The second one, what was Lumley doing? It is rarely a good idea for a goalkeeper to leave his area, and all too often it goes badly for him and the team - as yesterday. The game was done when they hit their third in the 5th minute of injury time.
At the time i thought Lumley had little choice, it looked like it was going to be 2 on 1 regardless. It might be that on second viewing the player would have had to go away from goal giving some time for the defence to recover but i wouldn't blame him, he'd already bailed us out once by racing out of his area to clear danger. Lumley stopped yesterday being embarrassing.

I think Eze is getting a bit of harsh criticism. No one was making much impact but everything he did was tidy, his passes found their man and we actually look like we have a semblance of control when he's on the ball. He was generally closed down quickly, in numbers by a well-organised side but i don't think he should stand out for criticism.

Lee Gib
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by Lee Gib » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:23 pm

SM wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:53 pm
Well, what a thoroughly predictable outing that was...

First half was fairly balanced, Brentford missed a sitter that their striker just poked wide, but aside from that both teams were evenly matched.

The ball didn’t quite fall after a bit of a mix up between Freeman and Luongo, which would have left either through one on one. 0-0 at half time was a fair reflection on the game.

Brentford started the second half much the stronger, and it looked like Hall misjudged the flight of the ball and left his man racing through on Lumley. Not sure if a penalty as not seen it back yet, but looked a fair call from where we were.

From the moment they went 1-0 up it was game over. We huffed and puffed, but looked so disjointed and genuinely believe we could still be playing now and would be lucky to muster a shot on target - let alone score.

Only player to leave the game with any real credit was Lumley. He was outstanding, and if it wasn’t for him we would have conceded at least another 2 or 3. One of his saves in the second half was just breathtaking.

Big fan of Luongo, but he was very poor today. Pawel typically ran himself into the ground but was hooked off. Eze very ineffective. Wells held ball up well on a few occasions, but far too isolated and absolutely no service to feed off of.

Fans were superb and made plenty of noise. Deserved a lot, lot better.

Real shame to follow up on the superb Leeds performance with such a poor defeat.
Cheers SM

I really hope we improve by next weekend. Flying over for the Stoke game with a group of work colleagues so I don't want to get too embarrassed.

Stans left foot
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Stans left foot » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:40 am

Well, its Monday, and I'm still depressed.

Don't agree with the S McClaren slamming. He's an ex England coach which indicates ( I know it's a big ask ) he must know something about football.

so, he joins little old QPR laden with a host of issues....not ideal. From there he's then got what he's got + Hamed and Wells, Cameron and Rangel. That's it, get on with it.

My feeling is next season, FFP behind us ( broadly speaking ) he'll be able to source some players ( not saying talent, just players, ) from the lower leagues at the right money ( peanuts ) and we go from there. Freeman can't be the only £500K find out there?

that's apart it's still aniwall aniwall aniwall aniwall aniwall
"Fing Poo Wah" ( your comments are as much interest to me as a dogs fart ).

UxbridgeR
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by UxbridgeR » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:03 am

old pauline wrote:

I'm not sure I'd describe our state as "parlous". We still have financial backers, and while they're clearly not prepared to throw good money after bad anymore, there's no indication that they're likely to pull the plug entirely either. We've been in significantly worse positions over the last 20 years.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

SM
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by SM » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:06 pm

Thanks for the replies. Seems that most of us all saw the game the same way.

From the footage I’ve now seen back, I think the penalty was pretty harsh.
Isle Of Wight R'ssssssssss

Satch
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:21 pm

SM wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:06 pm
Thanks for the replies. Seems that most of us all saw the game the same way.

From the footage I’ve now seen back, I think the penalty was pretty harsh.
I thought so. Must be pretty dispiriting for the players, they know there aren't many goals in the team so to go one down harshly must knock the wind out of them.