Match Thread, Queens Park Rangers FC v Birmingham City

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

Systemsguy
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Re: Match Thread, Queens Park Rangers FC v Birmingham City

Post by Systemsguy » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:02 pm

Anybody talking about this being worse than the Preston game is talking nonsense.... That first half was nonsense but the game was bloody exciting and it felt worse after that match..

Anybody saying we have L1 standard players is talking nonsense....

Anybody saying Wells played crap is talking nonsense.....so he missed a chance when he's scored harder ones and was also intimidated by the 8 before taking the penalty and had so much encroachment some players were nearly up with when he took the kick ...

The referee was poor today, I hope the club submit a report saying the performance was not league standard....

Oh and Lee Camp had a super game.... He acknowledged the Loft after the game.... Top man....
2019/2020.... Keep Calm, no matter the season, we'll follow our team.....

White Duck
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by White Duck » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:07 pm

The onus is on the home team to start on the front foot and most away teams look to contain and counter in the initial stages of the game: we've started that way in a few of the League Cup games this season but I can't remember us doing it at all in the league?
Lex Talionis........

BiscuitRanger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by BiscuitRanger » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:04 pm

Pre_qualifier: Wasn't there so my opinion counts for nowt, however from the games I've seen on television Scowen has looked average at best. Further I think that Matt Smith will/has produced goals at this level given enough service but offers little else and makes the team one directional. But what do I know. Except one thing. There is an inverse relationship between performance of the team and the length of the match thread. Applying Trumpanistic philosophy; ban the naysayers and save the cheerleader. Or something
Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brain falls out.

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:16 pm

Leistner's leadership and Cousin's all round performance once they came on made the difference in the second half, with a close call to Pavel to join them in the pantheon. Furlong & BOS were awful in the first half; Furlong's heading and throwing saved him from being the worst player in the half and BOS flattered to deceive with no end product. Lumley must also take some flak for his first half performance but he certainly kept us in it with the save right at the end. The team were booed off by around 80% of the crowd at half time but it shows how much the second half effort meant to the fans that hardly anyone left before giving them a long ovation after the final whistle. Pavel seemed very moved by it.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

White Duck
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by White Duck » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:23 pm

Yeah Scowen was awful but so were ALL of them in the first half: no urgency, no pressing, very little showing for the ball and mindless passing to the opponent or aimlessly booted anywhere. SMc could've replaced any of them at HT: the first two substitutions worked well but I thought the third one was wasted IMO.
Lex Talionis........

Damien
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Damien » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:52 pm

Dollis Hoop wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:13 pm
I don’t know why Leistner didn’t start but he made all the difference in the second half. So did Cousins, far more effective than Scowen. They were bullying us. We miss Casmeron. Scowen runs around like a terrier but lacks awareness.
Scowen has been dreadful all season - and unlike some I didn't rate him last season either. Luongo needs to step up to the plate more often as well, for me he blows too hot and cold for our supposedly best midfielder. Encouraging to hear about Cousins when he came on - maybe he will finally prove the players we thought we were getting. Hall and Furlong also need to look at their performances if they don't want to be replaced when others are fit again. Even though he is limited as a player, if all our player had more of Matt Smith's desire...we wouldn't be struggling and badly as we are at the moment.

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:08 pm

Damien wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:52 pm
Dollis Hoop wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:13 pm
I don’t know why Leistner didn’t start but he made all the difference in the second half. So did Cousins, far more effective than Scowen. They were bullying us. We miss Casmeron. Scowen runs around like a terrier but lacks awareness.
Scowen has been dreadful all season - and unlike some I didn't rate him last season either. Luongo needs to step up to the plate more often as well, for me he blows too hot and cold for our supposedly best midfielder. Encouraging to hear about Cousins when he came on - maybe he will finally prove the players we thought we were getting. Hall and Furlong also need to look at their performances if they don't want to be replaced when others are fit again. Even though he is limited as a player, if all our player had more of Matt Smith's desire...we wouldn't be struggling and badly as we are at the moment.
Cousins certainly was excellent. He badly misplaced a pass just after coming on, and ran most of the length of the field to atone for his error and displace the opposition player. That seemed to inspire him and he played really well after that, easily the best we've seen of him.

I don't feel too badly after today's match - the Rangers were monumental in the second half, I'm sure all concerned are very well aware of avoiding the slow starts in the future.

IJM
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by IJM » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:10 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:16 pm
Leistner's leadership and Cousin's all round performance once they came on made the difference in the second half, with a close call to Pavel to join them in the pantheon. Furlong & BOS were awful in the first half; Furlong's heading and throwing saved him from being the worst player in the half and BOS flattered to deceive with no end product. Lumley must also take some flak for his first half performance but he certainly kept us in it with the save right at the end. The team were booed off by around 80% of the crowd at half time but it shows how much the second half effort meant to the fans that hardly anyone left before giving them a long ovation after the final whistle. Pavel seemed very moved by it.
Totally disagree that "BOS was awful", I thought he was very unfortunate to be subbed at half time. As far as I'm concerned he looked quite dangerous with his runs, but SMc needed to change tactics at HT and it was no reflection on BOS's performance.

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:32 pm

IJM wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:10 pm
Esox Lucius wrote:
Totally disagree that "BOS was awful", I thought he was very unfortunate to be subbed at half time. As far as I'm concerned he looked quite dangerous with his runs, but SMc needed to change tactics at HT and it was no reflection on BOS's performance.
Seriously? he was given/ won the ball and set off on a run, getting past one or two players and then... nothing... at all. Zero defensive work which, coupled with a similar defensive count from Furlong meant that the Blues were able to move forward at will down our right flank. Watch the 90 mins back on the offish when it is uploaded and you'll see what I mean. Furlong always looks better when he has Wzsolek in front of him because Pavel does the defensive duties too.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

Wegerle
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Wegerle » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:29 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Agree 100%. Our defence was crying out for Leistner in the first half. A mystery to me why he started on the bench. BOS is a lively player but has no end product en drifts out of games, just like Eze often did.
Our problems are fixable because as soon as we screw our heads on right and start games with 100% concentration we can beat any team in this division. At the moment we only seem to get going when we are chasing games.