Ah, now we understand.

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

Stans left foot
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Ah, now we understand.

Post by Stans left foot » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:16 am

Like to think, after all the huffing and puffing over the seasons, we and other clubs have at last grasped the significance of playing in a Cup competition.

I know I never let it go, but my falling out of love with Holloway was various cup team selections and our surrendering what is arguably our only chance of fun and incentive for the fans.

Last night wasn't great, more of an attrition against a team short on skill but long on endeavor. Still we made it through and the chance to fight the Mighty Hornets ( sick ). Cup games are great with atmosphere and the Pompey lot got behind their team to make it a great night - something you can't get in the League.

So, on the upside, additional revenue coming in ( OK it's only 1 game but it'll be a sell out.)
a chance to play against a premiership team,
a chance to improve skills
a chance to talk and chat about our cup-run with anyone prepared to listen
a buzz about the place at last - what's not to like?

Best performance of last night, Smith put a shift in for sure, Wells too, like Freemans effort along with Lynch - you kinda know any pass further than 20 yards with him has risk written all over it - Hall especially looked good, we see what we're missing there. All the others played well though.

For the life of me I cannot understand just what Linno's do.

As usual their remit appears to be confirm throw ins, that's it.
So issues like pulling of shirts, impeding players and general fouls under their noses goes unchecked. Desperate, desperate performance from the linno last night. Question is, why bother having them?

Final work on Scheetve, looking good, I like the attitude of the players, style and effort. If this were an end of term school report B+

You Rrrrsss etc
"Fing Poo Wah" ( your comments are as much interest to me as a dogs fart ).

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Re: Ah, now we understand.

Post by Esox Lucius » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:04 am

I agree, hopefully people are now moving on from the Holloway era; it served it's purpose at the time and the club, rightly IMO, felt that he had done all he could within his remit. His outbursts and tombola team sheets were upsetting a lot of fans and the club possibly noted that in their decision. After a very shaky start which, with QPR's recent history, could have ended in a hasty sacking, SMC has preformed very creditably and I am sure most fans would have snatched your hand off for a mid table finish and a good cup run this season. I have enjoyed the football more this season too although every now and again Holloway did extract a cracking performance from the team.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

Stans left foot
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Stans left foot » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:37 am

agree Esox, but my thoughts go back to "indifferent" team selections ( and OK I realise not every option maybe open to him at the time ) but like Leicester this season who fielded a dodgy team for their cup game and left their supporters with what....nothing - seasons over for them, not going up, not winning the league, no cup matches.

For those Pompey supporters they had a good night out and supported their team, we'll do the same v Watford, whats not to like?

Plus the chance to play against ( arguably ) better players, hone skills and improve yourself.

You Rrrss etc
"Fing Poo Wah" ( your comments are as much interest to me as a dogs fart ).

old pauline
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by old pauline » Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:37 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:04 am
I agree, hopefully people are now moving on from the Holloway era; it served it's purpose at the time and the club, rightly IMO, felt that he had done all he could within his remit. His outbursts and tombola team sheets were upsetting a lot of fans and the club possibly noted that in their decision. After a very shaky start which, with QPR's recent history, could have ended in a hasty sacking, SMC has preformed very creditably and I am sure most fans would have snatched your hand off for a mid table finish and a good cup run this season. I have enjoyed the football more this season too although every now and again Holloway did extract a cracking performance from the team.
A slightly one-sided opinion of Ollie there in my opinion. He did a good job to achieve a 16th placed finish with inferior players than we have this season and did a terrific job of getting the best out of 3 or 4 youngsters who have been overlooked by SMC.
Come on you Sooopa ........

Satch
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:52 pm

old pauline wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:37 pm
Esox Lucius wrote:
A slightly one-sided opinion of Ollie there in my opinion. He did a good job to achieve a 16th placed finish with inferior players than we have this season and did a terrific job of getting the best out of 3 or 4 youngsters who have been overlooked by SMC.
I disagree. I think the team largely underperformed under Holloway for a variety of reasons. I agree SMC is lucky to have Leistner and Wells although Holloway had Chief (who i think is unfairly maligned) and Robinson. SMC has managed to get more out of certain players too. Which are the 3/4 youngsters? I'd only say Smyth has been less involved and i don't think he was overlooked per se.

old pauline
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by old pauline » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:36 pm

Kakay, Smyth, Chair and Oteh. And Manning.
Come on you Sooopa ........

White Duck
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by White Duck » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:30 pm

old pauline wrote:
Esox Lucius wrote:

Agreed. As it stands we are tracking to finish in a very similar position to last season: another lower mid table finish. We have done better in the cups but only after the Blackpool fiasco.
Overall though considering the worst ever start we made this season SMc has generally done well: we'll never know how Ollie would've done.
Lex Talionis........

Northolt_Rs
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by Northolt_Rs » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:24 am

Stans left foot wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:37 am
agree Esox, but my thoughts go back to "indifferent" team selections ( and OK I realise not every option maybe open to him at the time ) but like Leicester this season who fielded a dodgy team for their cup game and left their supporters with what....nothing - seasons over for them, not going up, not winning the league, no cup matches.

For those Pompey supporters they had a good night out and supported their team, we'll do the same v Watford, whats not to like?

Plus the chance to play against ( arguably ) better players, hone skills and improve yourself.

You Rrrss etc
Plus we get the chance to knock a Premier League side out of the F.A. Cup aniclap

Keith
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by Keith » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:30 am

Satch wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:52 pm
old pauline wrote:
Esox Lucius wrote:
I disagree........................
So to be clear, are you saying that in your opinion, his opinion that the original opinion was one-sided, and by definition therefore an opinion, an ill-founded opinion?

Thetford ranger
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by Thetford ranger » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:39 pm

I once watched QPR lose to a car company so for us to reach the last 16 is a big deal I don’t remember us ever getting this far

UxbridgeR
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by UxbridgeR » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:50 pm

old pauline wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:36 pm
I'd agree on Smyth and Manning, although the latter seemed to be out of favour for quite a while last season. Quite a stretch to suggest Holloway "got the best out of" Kakay, Chair and Oteh, who rarely figured.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

deadendjob
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by deadendjob » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:44 pm

UxbridgeR wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:50 pm
old pauline wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:36 pm
I'd agree on Smyth and Manning, although the latter seemed to be out of favour for quite a while last season. Quite a stretch to suggest Holloway "got the best out of" Kakay, Chair and Oteh, who rarely figured.
Exactly. The most played by those mentioned was Smyth at 13, then Chair at 7 (for a few minutes).
BOS and Eze did break though though.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017–18 ... .C._season

This romanticised ideology of Ollie being a success has really gotta go.