Cousins...

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

QPR-FOREVER-N-EVER
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Cousins...

Post by QPR-FOREVER-N-EVER » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:44 am

Been told Manning is 100% returning in January 🙂
CMON U SUPPA HOOOPSA!!!!

Giorgio
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Re: Cousins...

Post by Giorgio » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:47 am

QPR-FOREVER-N-EVER wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:44 am
Been told Manning is 100% returning in January 🙂
...yep...sorry for Cousins but he can not start in the 11 now....

nic
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by nic » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:46 am

Don’t really understand this thread. Manning is not a straight replacement for Counsins (more Freeman etc) and Steve shows no appetitive for playing more creative players in central midfield so I would assume he is planning on Cousins and Scowen. Manning has been brought back for cover - if that wasn’t true, it would be Cousins and not Manning out on loan.

It was telling that he was an unused sub today - I don’t think the manager has any faith in him. That’s a shame, but I can’t see him starting too many important league games.

White Duck
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by White Duck » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:20 am

It will be interesting to see what position he will start in on Sunday for the cup game: I would like to see him in the central Luongo position as I think he could do a job there.

I would think Manning was loaned out instead of Cousins as we had an enquiry from Rotherham for the former and no enquirers for the latter.

And I don't think you could read too much into him being an unused sub yesterday as he was not going to called in to replace a forward or winger, nor be an extra body in defence for the last few minutes.
Lex Talionis........

LanCat
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by LanCat » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:47 am

A place on the bench as a backup and to get him into the match-day team was surely all anyone expected. Manning's not trained with the team for the best part of four months; putting him in to a tight game if you didn't have to would be pretty risky.

stainesranger
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainesranger » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:58 am

How did Cousins get on vs villa? I didn’t see the match.

nic
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by nic » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:48 am

White Duck wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:20 am
It will be interesting to see what position he will start in on Sunday for the cup game: I would like to see him in the central Luongo position as I think he could do a job there.

I would think Manning was loaned out instead of Cousins as we had an enquiry from Rotherham for the former and no enquirers for the latter.

And I don't think you could read too much into him being an unused sub yesterday as he was not going to called in to replace a forward or winger, nor be an extra body in defence for the last few minutes.
Manning had fallen out of favour a little at Rotherham. I don’t think he is defensively sound enough to play the “Luongo” role. I have always seen him as a midfield er with good creative abilities - and who will score more goals than most of our midfielders - but sometimes looks lightweight and cannot control a midfield. His time at Rotherham may have strengthened him, but I think a midfield of Scowen and Manning would get overrun.

But the point of my post was that the first two posts assumed Manning coming back meant the end of Cousins. I don’t think that’s true.

LanCat
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by LanCat » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:01 am

stainesranger wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:58 am
He did alright. First half, maybe 6/10 and then 7/10 for the second half.

White Duck
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by White Duck » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:02 am

stainesranger wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:58 am
I thought that after a pretty poor first half he turned it around in the second and was heavily involved in breaking up the Villa play with plenty of tackling and harassing their players. Also his fitness meant he was able to do this throughout the 15 minutes injury time whilst others were struggling. Overall he did well yesterday, loads better than against Reading.
Lex Talionis........

stainesranger
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainesranger » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:07 am

Thanks- that’s encouraging. McLaren obviously thinks he can do a job, so that’s good enough for me. Fingers crossed he keeps improving.

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:24 pm

nic wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:48 am
White Duck wrote:

Manning had fallen out of favour a little at Rotherham. I don’t think he is defensively sound enough to play the “Luongo” role. I have always seen him as a midfield er with good creative abilities - and who will score more goals than most of our midfielders - but sometimes looks lightweight and cannot control a midfield. His time at Rotherham may have strengthened him, but I think a midfield of Scowen and Manning would get overrun.

But the point of my post was that the first two posts assumed Manning coming back meant the end of Cousins. I don’t think that’s true.
Manning has yet to find his best position at QPR. He's generally been played as a box to box or defensive CM but I think he's more of an attacking CM. He's even played as a striker for the Irish U21s. He may well be best suited to a Freeman type role given he's left footed.

KildarePete
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by KildarePete » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:37 pm

dm wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:24 pm
nic wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:48 am
White Duck wrote:

Manning has yet to find his best position at QPR. He's generally been played as a box to box or defensive CM but I think he's more of an attacking CM. He's even played as a striker for the Irish U21s. He may well be best suited to a Freeman type role given he's left footed.
Yep - For the Irish U-21 side, Manning plays as an attacking midfielder and takes the corners and a lot of the free kicks. Gets stuck in physically and not afraid to try the odd long-range shot to test the goalie. When he was "younger", he played more as a forward. I think he's capable of playing the creative role when Freeman is not there.

JHC

Post by JHC » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:06 am

So if someone comes in with an January offer for Freeman (that we can't refuse), Manning will likely get his big chance.

White Duck
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by White Duck » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:09 am

Unless the offer is ridiculously high (way above the Middlesbrough offer we rejected) we would be crazy to let Luke go this month: he is the heart of the team and irreplaceable.

We have a huge number of players out of contract in the summer so that's the time to consider our options.
Lex Talionis........

Montag
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Montag » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:12 pm

Agreed. It would be ludicrous to sell Luke at this stage in the season with the position we are in. If we made it up - and that's not beyond the realms of possibility - then we would need him next season for sure. He'd hold his own up there much like CA did and has. Cousins is a hot and cold player. On his day he can be excellent. I sympathise with him because I was that sort of player. One week, Tony Currie, the next, Geoff Thomas. :oops:
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."
Richard III, Act IV, W. Shakespeare