Living the Dream

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

Stans left foot
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Living the Dream

Post by Stans left foot » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:56 am

Without doubt my favorite film is "as good as it gets".......and what if, this is, well, just that?

When you think about it, we have it all, that whiff of a chance of promotion or play offs, that star player in the making that you can all turn round to your grand-kids and say " I was at Loftus Road when EZE played for us"....the expectation that we might actually be in with a chance of winning every game...

these times don't come around too often and for many of us, just being in the top half of the table and having stability is a dream.

I have no particular axe to grind regarding Mick McCarthy but I do know when some ones being taken for a ride. Fortunately, so does he so it was no surprise when last season, having succumbed to the Boo Boys he announced he would leave at the end of the season. With the Boo Boys continuing to have their say my memory is that Mick decided there was no point in his staying and if they wanted him to piss off so badly he'd do just that, so he pissed off early with 2 or 3 games to go. So, wind the clock forward another 6 months and I wonder what those Ipswich supporters feel now?

Proudly bottom of the league and happy in the knowledge they got their way - and secured the services of Paul Lambert as a result they can rightly reflect on happier times and perhaps where it all went wrong. Again nothing personal against Mr Lambert but when a Villa Manager I met some Villarites whilst on holiday who couldn't find anything good to say about him, professionally or personally.

My suspicion is, as you go through the league, Derby fans re Rowett, Rowett and Birmingham FC, Leeds and their owners, Stoke supporters and their owners, we as supporters all have an axe to grind be it the manager or the owners.

As for dear little Queens Park Rangers, its my belief we've had more than our fair share of shite of the last decade, for a club our size, maybe it's just because we're tantalizingly close to being there, close to being a West London force, close to having the allure of a Chelsea or West Ham ( :roll: ) but not quite...close to being "trendy" ( with Westfields et al) but not quite, close to having celebrity supporters but not quite, close to having loud mouth high profile owners ( but thankfully got rid of them), and close to having a squad of starlets but more importantly and better than that, having a club we can rightly call our own with local players, young players at that - and above all that, a club charity that really does put it's faith and commitment into local affairs and needs.

Trust me girls and boys, it really doesn't get better than that and in my lifetime I'd never want to see more or have more than that, maybe, just maybe, this is as good as it gets

You Rrrrrs etc
"Fing Poo Wah" ( your comments are as much interest to me as a dogs fart ).

T-Block
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Re: Living the Dream

Post by T-Block » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:11 am

I have met Lambert and above all else my impression was of a man of honour and integrity.

So be careful of what you write-because you have written that I do not believe anything else you have written.

Alot of people in football are far worse than Lambert

Caroline
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Caroline » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:45 am

Paul Lambert... the only manager (IIRC) who didn't speak out in support of QPR during our points-deduction debacle. I remember him being very keen on us being investigated, and having a points deduction should we be found guilty. Norwich at that point were looking good for 2nd place and automatic promotion anyway. Meanwhile, Brendan Rodgers, whose Swansea side would have benefited the most from a QPR points deduction (ie play-off place would have become 2nd place) was very supportive of us and didn't want to see a points deduction, even if we were found guilty. So yeah, Paul Lambert sucks, basically.

T-Block
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by T-Block » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:07 pm

Your evidence for this?

Stans left foot
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Stans left foot » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:46 pm

my evidence is as stated, the Villa supporters, all 6 of them, despised him with a vengeance. Not my problem people didn't like him, I'm sure his wife loves him, but at the end of the day, I'm not his wife.

Ditto his time at Wolves, left not well liked there, there may be a correlation of poor performance of your team = a dislike BUT if you recall, and to my knowledge, when we performed poorly, no body disliked Holloway, simply wanted him to fix it.

Ditto McCarthy, same thing.....but it's only Lambert you have a problem with? So be it.

fact is in the context of my post, my point was highlighting you can wish for the stars and eventually it'll come around, but not as you'd hoped.

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:15 pm

T-Block wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:07 pm
Your evidence for this?
It was in the news at that time. You'll find a lot of QPR fan can't stand for that very reason. Just because you've met him doesn't resolve all the issues that QPR fans have with him. Look how popular Harry is in IACGMOOH yet most QPR, Portsmouth, Birmingham, West Ham, many Spuds fans wouldn't be in the least upset reading his obituary. Lambert was pathetic in his bleating about a points deduction for us at the time.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

UxbridgeR
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by UxbridgeR » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:41 pm

Stans left foot wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:46 pm
my evidence is as stated, the Villa supporters, all 6 of them, despised him with a vengeance. Not my problem people didn't like him, I'm sure his wife loves him, but at the end of the day, I'm not his wife.

Ditto his time at Wolves, left not well liked there, there may be a correlation of poor performance of your team = a dislike BUT if you recall, and to my knowledge, when we performed poorly, no body disliked Holloway, simply wanted him to fix it.

Ditto McCarthy, same thing.....but it's only Lambert you have a problem with? So be it.

fact is in the context of my post, my point was highlighting you can wish for the stars and eventually it'll come around, but not as you'd hoped.
I think Lambert, like McCarthy was doing a decent enough job in difficult circumstances, the kind that often isn't appreciated until they're gone. Villa were relegated the season after he left,as Ipswich currently seem on course to be. Holloway had a history with QPR as a player and a previous manager, which tends to buy more time and patience with the majority of fans.

I'm happy enough with how things are going, but I'd hate to think this is as good as it's ever going to get again.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

Satch
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:04 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:15 pm
T-Block wrote:
Your evidence for this?
It was in the news at that time. You'll find a lot of QPR fan can't stand for that very reason. Just because you've met him doesn't resolve all the issues that QPR fans have with him. Look how popular Harry is in IACGMOOH yet most QPR, Portsmouth, Birmingham, West Ham, many Spuds fans wouldn't be in the least upset reading his obituary. Lambert was pathetic in his bleating about a points deduction for us at the time.
Glad this was covered. Can't stand the bloke because of it and have take an minor interest in his failure ever since.

Satch
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:09 pm

T-Block wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:11 am
I have met Lambert and above all else my impression was of a man of honour and integrity.

So be careful of what you write-because you have written that I do not believe anything else you have written.

Alot of people in football are far worse than Lambert
Blocky my old China - do you want all of January to settle our little wager?

Montag
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Montag » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:08 pm

It's going well but this is not as good as it gets. Hopefully it will be soon though. :D
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."
Richard III, Act IV, W. Shakespeare

Caroline
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Caroline » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:15 am

Esox Lucius wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:15 pm
T-Block wrote:
Your evidence for this?
...and funnily enough, even Norwich supporters were against a points deduction - they only wanted to win the league by being the best team, not by having it handed to them.

Devonranger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Devonranger » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:07 am

How did we get from living the dream to Paul Lambert?

Would have to say that Paul Lambert would never be in any of my dreams!

Liking the direction the club is taking - slight tinge of sadness that we took a few wrong turns along the way and wasted some good opportunities to progress the club.

Stans left foot
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Stans left foot » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:37 am

I think that was T Block who got the hump over my mentioning Lambert......

simple post really, I'm just saying we should embrace and enjoy these times as much as possible, what does that mean?

well if your sitting there undecided as to if you should support the club, in whatever way, attending a match, buying a present from the shop, whatever, do it now.

Simple really, then I mentioned Lambert as a "for instance" as to how it all goes wrong, although I mentioned other clubs/managers.....and it all went Pete Tong.....but then that's why we post here, put a point and somebody else has a differing view....should be encouraged.

still, "Its a funny old game Saint"........each to their own....

Bear-Grills
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Bear-Grills » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:17 pm

Devonranger wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:07 am
How did we get from living the dream to Paul Lambert?

Would have to say that Paul Lambert would never be in any of my dreams!

Liking the direction the club is taking - slight tinge of sadness that we took a few wrong turns along the way and wasted some good opportunities to progress the club.
I have found that many of the most useful lessons in life have been painful and/or costly in some way (as long as you don't repeat them)
If drink isn't the answer, you were asked the wrong question