Blackburn v QPR match thread

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

krama
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Re: Blackburn v QPR match thread

Post by krama » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:17 pm

BiscuitRanger wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:20 pm
Haven't seen the penalty incident, but will say this, if we had Baresi playing under the current interpretation of the rules, we'd be playing with 10 players more often than not.
That is very true. Although any Italian central defender of the Baresi era was, shall we say, a bit on the physical side. They had the art of snide knocks and pulls behind the refs back down to a fine art. 8)

Montag
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Montag » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:32 pm

Franco, that's the sort of CB I wish I'd been.
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."
Richard III, Act IV, W. Shakespeare

Montag
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Montag » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:44 pm

krama wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:35 pm
Montag wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:50 pm
Wrong. If Scowen clipped him it was after the ball was gone and if anything, thief Brereton clipped Scowen angling for a pen which a poor official gave.
Blimey ok. That was emphatic! That's your opinion however.
How about, as I suggested earlier, would it have been a poor decision if it was a QPR player in exactly the same position having been clipped. I suspect that the consensus would be a good decision and a fair decision. whistle
I don't mean to be over-assertive about it but it wasn't a penalty and if we got one like that (which to echo 222gers,we don't.) I would find it a bit embarrassing that we won the points like that. Unless of course it was against some cheating toe-wrags such as Blackburn, Preston, Sheff U or ManUre. It may, in the long run come to nothing but what if we finished 7th and 1 point behind Blackburn in 6th?
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:17 am

We'd miss out on the play off finals.
From a pragmatic viewpoint; if we finished 7th to 10th every season until we get our cat 1 academy and new 24/7 stadium I think I would be a happy bunny. It would mean that we would have a few years of good results in most games, a solid foundation of support I would hope and be in a much better position to be competitive in the EPL than we currently are.
Promotion before we are ready could prove to be a rocky, destabilising and short lived joy. I have been going for over 53 years now and a few more is neither here nor there in the grand scheme of things.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

Systemsguy
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Systemsguy » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:17 am

While I appreciate Esox's fears....

The money involved in another promotion is too tempting and a season or two of pain (while being frugal with signings and saleries) could put the good ship QPR on a steady course....

Let's worry about staying in the championship first... 10 wins I think should do the trick..
2018/2019.... Keep Calm, no matter the season, we'll follow our team.....

White Duck
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by White Duck » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:28 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:17 am
We'd miss out on the play off finals.
From a pragmatic viewpoint; if we finished 7th to 10th every season until we get our cat 1 academy and new 24/7 stadium I think I would be a happy bunny. It would mean that we would have a few years of good results in most games, a solid foundation of support I would hope and be in a much better position to be competitive in the EPL than we currently are.
Promotion before we are ready could prove to be a rocky, destabilising and short lived joy. I have been going for over 53 years now and a few more is neither here nor there in the grand scheme of things.
No I think we need to be pushing for the playoffs every season: we all know how exciting those games are and once there with a bit of luck we could get promoted. Yes we would struggle to be competitive once up but the money generated and used properly would be vital for the club.
Lex Talionis........

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:05 pm

How long do you think it would be, once we were promoted, before the toxic element of the fan base was screaming for sackings etc. if no money was spent on building a team to challenge the to six?
Pushing for the playoffs is exactly what I would like to see as it would mean we are winning a fair few games but I wouldn't trust a lot of our fans as far as I could see them to be content with a smash and grab in the EPL just for the cash. As soon as we were up they would be wanting the cash splashed to "make us competitive". I'll take 7th to 10th all day long for a few years.

QPR_John
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by QPR_John » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:15 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:05 pm
How long do you think it would be, once we were promoted, before the toxic element of the fan base was screaming for sackings etc. if no money was spent on building a team to challenge the to six?
Pushing for the playoffs is exactly what I would like to see as it would mean we are winning a fair few games but I wouldn't trust a lot of our fans as far as I could see them to be content with a smash and grab in the EPL just for the cash. As soon as we were up they would be wanting the cash splashed to "make us competitive". I'll take 7th to 10th all day long for a few years.
You talk about the fan base. After our last experience I doubt anybody who called themselves a fan would want us to go down that route again. I'd go for a fair few years as a yo-yo club for the money. Would not necessarily be happy with being beaten on a regular basis in the Premier League but we live in the real world

White Duck
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by White Duck » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:30 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
And how long do you think those fans would be happy to put up with mid table mediocrity for a number of years then? With the financial position the club is in it makes no sense to not want promotion.
Lex Talionis........

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:53 pm

QPR_John wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:15 pm
Esox Lucius wrote:
You talk about the fan base. After our last experience I doubt anybody who called themselves a fan would want us to go down that route again. I'd go for a fair few years as a yo-yo club for the money. Would not necessarily be happy with being beaten on a regular basis in the Premier League but we live in the real world
That's with you being one of the rational fans, you've seen what a clusterfück Twitter etc. is after a single defeat in the Championship. What chance would the youngsters being developed have? How many more managers would we sack every six months pandering to the butthurt morons on social media. I stand by my stance.

QPR_John
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by QPR_John » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:26 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:53 pm
QPR_John wrote:
Esox Lucius wrote:
That's with you being one of the rational fans, you've seen what a clusterfück Twitter etc. is after a single defeat in the Championship. What chance would the youngsters being developed have? How many more managers would we sack every six months pandering to the butthurt morons on social media. I stand by my stance.
Cannot comment on Twitter or any other social media it seems the only people concerned with what is said on social media have social media accounts. Just ignore them as I hope the club would it is very easy.

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:44 pm

QPR_John wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:26 pm
Esox Lucius wrote:
QPR_John wrote:

Cannot comment on Twitter or any other social media it seems the only people concerned with what is said on social media have social media accounts. Just ignore them as I hope the club would it is very easy.
I have unsubscribed myself from all but one of the Facebook groups and none of the Twitter feeds because the amount of fücknuggets who don't have a fücking clue about what QPR are trying to do wrt development of youth, become financially stable and self sufficient, create a community infrastructure etc. It's not just a case of ignoring them, they feed off each others negativity and I get to hear of the fallout of some of the crap that goes on when I go to games. It was just these types that were screaming abuse at Fernandes and, I suppose it was because he thought they held representative views, he did what they wanted.
I know you and I, and White Duck for that matter, have rarely agreed on anything but I still hold respect for your viewpoint on here (even if you don't think I do LOL) but the rational fans don't, as you have said yourself, have a SM presence so the club has no clue what those fans want. I still speak to S/T holders at games who want Les & Hoos out of the club along with their "Spurs mates" and they adamantly refuse to see any good that they have done.
I know the term keyboard warrior is thrown at me from time to time but I assure you I don't stand for it in the outside world either so I do try to point out the good the club is doing but so often, it falls on deaf ears. I honestly believe that promotion without the foundations in place would be a disaster for the long term good of the club.

White Duck
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by White Duck » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:18 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:44 pm
QPR_John wrote:
Esox Lucius wrote:

I have unsubscribed myself from all but one of the Facebook groups and none of the Twitter feeds because the amount of fücknuggets who don't have a FLIPPING clue about what QPR are trying to do wrt development of youth, become financially stable and self sufficient, create a community infrastructure etc. It's not just a case of ignoring them, they feed off each others negativity and I get to hear of the fallout of some of the crap that goes on when I go to games. It was just these types that were screaming abuse at Fernandes and, I suppose it was because he thought they held representative views, he did what they wanted.
I know you and I, and White Duck for that matter, have rarely agreed on anything but I still hold respect for your viewpoint on here (even if you don't think I do LOL) but the rational fans don't, as you have said yourself, have a SM presence so the club has no clue what those fans want. I still speak to S/T holders at games who want Les & Hoos out of the club along with their "Spurs mates" and they adamantly refuse to see any good that they have done.
I know the term keyboard warrior is thrown at me from time to time but I assure you I don't stand for it in the outside world either so I do try to point out the good the club is doing but so often, it falls on deaf ears. I honestly believe that promotion without the foundations in place would be a disaster for the long term good of the club.
I understand what you are saying but IMO the gap between the majority of the Premiership clubs and most of the football league clubs (including us) is so huge financially nowadays that there will never be a time when we are 'ready' to be promoted. If it happens then we invest sensibly in strengthening the team and keep everything crossed we can stay up and build from there. If relegated we will have earnt some much needed money and go again.
Lex Talionis........

QPR_John
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by QPR_John » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:43 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:44 pm
QPR_John wrote:
Esox Lucius wrote:

I have unsubscribed myself from all but one of the Facebook groups and none of the Twitter feeds because the amount of fücknuggets who don't have a FLIPPING clue about what QPR are trying to do wrt development of youth, become financially stable and self sufficient, create a community infrastructure etc. It's not just a case of ignoring them, they feed off each others negativity and I get to hear of the fallout of some of the crap that goes on when I go to games. It was just these types that were screaming abuse at Fernandes and, I suppose it was because he thought they held representative views, he did what they wanted.
Fair enough. I still feel giving so much credence to what is said on social media is counter productive and would hope the club if not in the past have realised now listening to views of those posting on social media is not always indicative of the views of the majority of the fan base

Montag
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Montag » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:01 pm

To an extent I agree with much of what you say Esox but the problem with mid-table consolidation is that what happens if it fails and we get relegated which is more likely the longer you settle for being mid-table. Less revenue, lower quality players, smaller gates and possible administration. The only thing to do is to chase promotion and hope that the board act more wisely than the did last time should we manage to go up. The youth development et al can continue in tandem with any moderate and hopefully wise spending on squad strengthening. Things are looking better than they have for some time. Let's see where the ride takes us and enjoy it.