Blackburn v QPR match thread

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Re: Blackburn v QPR match thread

Post by stainrod's elbow » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:14 am

Well-reasoned post! A whole 33 secs of highlights on Sky - Jesus, the game must have been as dour as both managers admitted!

The penalty didn't quite look 'stonewall' to me, but not as harsh as Shteve claimed either. What was Scowen thinking of, the dolt, given the cover behind him? He gave the ref a decision to make, and unfortunately he made it.

I think Blackburn and us are probably about the same as us this season - mediocre. We'll have the odd good result, our fair share of away losses, and a few grinds which could go either way. I'm liking the fact we have a defensive platform now, but 15 goals in 16 games doesn't need a PhD in Playing Football to work out where the issue is.
"There's a blue light/in my best friend's room" -Mazzy Star

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainrod's elbow » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:22 am

Damien wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:08 am
dm wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:15 pm
krama wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:11 pm

It was not harsh. It was a stonewall. Those rose tinted specs at it again eh! :D
So you were at the game. Please give us the benefit of your firsthand explanation of the incident.
Think the Irony might be lost on him Dm :wink:
I think the irony's lost on most of us! :roll:
"There's a blue light/in my best friend's room" -Mazzy Star

stainesranger
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainesranger » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:29 am

Zumerzetoopsa wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:18 am
I think we are dependent on other teams making the running in matches, and rely on a breakaway approach to goal scoring.
Schteve seems happy to concede the majority of possession home and away, but this approach does mean we have to convert the chances we get, so every now and then we will play a team that has a similar approach to us, and we may not get as many chances. I might add, I've not seen any highlights so don't know how it went yesterday, but could that possibly explain things, and the whole approach means you have to have a rock solid defence, which we are closer to now.
Personally I like the way we're playing now, I feel we are always "in" the game from start to finish, and haven't felt that way for ages now. Good squad, but lack of depth will probably mean we're a solid mid-table rather than play-off fodder, it's squeaky tight this season.
Just my rarely posted opinion, please don't shoot!
I think that is spot on. We’ve come a long way from the start of the season.

Montag
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Montag » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:53 am

Never a pen . Scowen played the ball - the **** then dropped to the ground after the ball was gone. I watched it again and again. The ref was taken by a nice bit of cheating. We need VAR in this division. That one point could possibly be the difference between a play off spot or not.
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."
Richard III, Act IV, W. Shakespeare

White Duck
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by White Duck » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:12 am

Montag wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:53 am
Never a pen . Scowen played the ball - the **** then dropped to the ground after the ball was gone. I watched it again and again. The ref was taken by a nice bit of cheating. We need VAR in this division. That one point could possibly be the difference between a play off spot or not.
Yes it looked like a harsh decision as Scowen clearly got the ball first: it changed direction. The contact was after and we had a covering player too. However he went to ground and maybe from the ref's position behind the play it looked different.
Lex Talionis........

QPR_John
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by QPR_John » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:10 pm

Just seen the highlights on Sky. If that was a penalty then the game I grew up with is finished. Not only did Scowen get the ball first the tackle was not dangerous so on what level did the referee see that it was a penalty

ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:11 pm

Having watched it several times, Scowen’s leg was under him (bent at the knee) as the guy went to ground. The ref who booked 5 players including Luongo 4 minutes into the game, obviously was not one for letting things go. Real or imagined.

I think Eze needs to work on hitting the ball first time. He’s had a number of chances this season where taking a touch has seen the chance disappear. Belting hard, on target first time might see his goal tally improve.
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

Andy_N19
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Andy_N19 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:12 pm

Agree with a lot on here that the tackle by Scowen was a soft pen to give away,
but why wasn't one of our "experienced" defenders there to mop up, why did
Scowen have to track back to make such and intervention?

Our defence isn't exactly that of Costacurta and Baresi is it.
Staff Benda Bilili

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:18 pm

Andy_N19 wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:12 pm

To be fair our defence has been very good of late and The Wall were our best players yesterday.

krama
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by krama » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:26 pm

Andy_N19 wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:12 pm

So before yesterday only 2 goals conceded in the previous eight league games. That's pretty good i'd say... no? I wonder what some "fans" expect to be honest. Probably Costacurta and Baresi….. and if they made one mistake some would be down on them. aniwall

krama
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by krama » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:46 pm

dm wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:15 pm
krama wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:11 pm
Damien wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:07 pm
Watched the pen on the highlights, and it looks a tad harsh. Be interesting to see what those at the game thought. Harsh way to lose a point.
It was not harsh. It was a stonewall. Those rose tinted specs at it again eh! :D
So you were at the game. Please give us the benefit of your firsthand explanation of the incident.
Sorry for the late reply to this, got back late last night. Don't normally do post mortems, but since you asked....difficult to judge from where I was in Jack Walker stand but having watched it closer on youtube, scowen definitely clipped Brereton and sadly it was a fair pen. Put it this way, if that exact incident happed in reverse and a qpr player had been clipped like that everyone would say it was a stonewall. Right, Brentford next. 8)

Montag
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Montag » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:50 pm

Wrong. If Scowen clipped him it was after the ball was gone and if anything, thief Brereton clipped Scowen angling for a pen which a poor official gave.
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."
Richard III, Act IV, W. Shakespeare

krama
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by krama » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:35 pm

Montag wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:50 pm
Wrong. If Scowen clipped him it was after the ball was gone and if anything, thief Brereton clipped Scowen angling for a pen which a poor official gave.
Blimey ok. That was emphatic! That's your opinion however.
How about, as I suggested earlier, would it have been a poor decision if it was a QPR player in exactly the same position having been clipped. I suspect that the consensus would be a good decision and a fair decision. whistle

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:48 pm

Not a penalty in my book. Why do we never seem to get such decisions ? We could/should have had about half a dozen pens for fouls on Smith alone last season.

BiscuitRanger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by BiscuitRanger » Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:20 pm

Haven't seen the penalty incident, but will say this, if we had Baresi playing under the current interpretation of the rules, we'd be playing with 10 players more often than not.
Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brain falls out.