Shall we sack the manager

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Re: Shall we sack the manager

Post by stainrod's elbow » Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:44 am

It's true you have to score, of course, but it's a lot likelier if you have the lion's share of the ball. I'm not knocking our showing or the result, but their manager was right - another night it could, and perhaps 'should', have been 0-3 (or maybe 2-3/2-4). Great defensive effort, but we can't be biting our nails like that at home every week, so still plenty to work on for our manager.

I think it was interesting in the post-match interview that SMc said we're not a possession-based team and we've 'had to adapt'. That seemed to be a statement about the perceived limitations of the players, but 'looking after the ball' is something he therefore needs to be coaching. His idea of 'controlling' games when you're out of possession is an interesting one, but also pretty risky, and takes you as far as it takes you. Right now, we're doing well with what we have, but can it last?
"There's a blue light/in my best friend's room" -Mazzy Star

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:52 am

Friday night could have easily gone 2 or 3 nil to us especially as we had more shots on target than Villa did. SMC and his team planned an excellent containing game and the players carried it out to a nicety. As mentioned previously, we have had good counter attacking teams in the past and done well with them. Thanks to SMC and his staff it finally feels like a QPR team now.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

Don Gibbons
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by Don Gibbons » Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:27 pm

stainrod's elbow wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:44 am
It's true you have to score, of course, but it's a lot likelier if you have the lion's share of the ball. I'm not knocking our showing or the result, but their manager was right - another night it could, and perhaps 'should', have been 0-3 (or maybe 2-3/2-4). Great defensive effort, but we can't be biting our nails like that at home every week, so still plenty to work on for our manager.

I think it was interesting in the post-match interview that SMc said we're not a possession-based team and we've 'had to adapt'. That seemed to be a statement about the perceived limitations of the players, but 'looking after the ball' is something he therefore needs to be coaching. His idea of 'controlling' games when you're out of possession is an interesting one, but also pretty risky, and takes you as far as it takes you. Right now, we're doing well with what we have, but can it last?
Leicester City in 2015/16 were an exciting counter-attacking team & won The Premier League with an average 43.7% possession per game

The three teams that were relegated that year (Villa, Norwich, Newcastle) ALL had higher possession stats than Leicester

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/row-zed/ ... nt-7867343

https://www.transfermarkt.com/premier-l ... on_id/2015

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainrod's elbow » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:15 pm

Good point, but we could probably agree that Leciester were very much the exception that season that proves the general rule. It was a good game, both teams had chances, and a draw probably would have been the 'fairer' result. I do think they were better than us, but we dug in big time and earned that victory morally.

deadendjob
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by deadendjob » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:42 pm

Not trying to put a dampener on our win at all, but we gave the ball away very cheaply and resorted to a lot of long balls. It's absolutely true you don't need possession to win games, but it's very mentally and physically hard to defend for the majority of a game.

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:48 pm

deadendjob wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:42 pm
Not trying to put a dampener on our win at all, but we gave the ball away very cheaply and resorted to a lot of long balls. It's absolutely true you don't need possession to win games, but it's very mentally and physically hard to defend for the majority of a game.
Villa also gave the ball away very cheaply including a few passes from the back that went straight out of play. They also played a lot of long ball to Kodija & Abraham. I guess if you don't want to see any good in what QPR did on Friday then you won't. The two sides were evenly matched but we had the better defence.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

deadendjob
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by deadendjob » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:04 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:48 pm
deadendjob wrote:
Villa also gave the ball away very cheaply including a few passes from the back that went straight out of play. They also played a lot of long ball to Kodija & Abraham. I guess if you don't want to see any good in what QPR did on Friday then you won't. The two sides were evenly matched but we had the better defence.
Jesus. Don't be so edgy. I'm not slagging the team off, just discussing what we could do better

whittonhoop
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by whittonhoop » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:20 pm

I think the key point around the recent results is the defence, the back five are now settled and it's reaping dividends.

Also, the back four, are all steadfast defenders, not converted wingers, not designed to overplay (though Rangel is classy) are their willingness to win the ball, mark tightly is clear and is making us a competitive side.

Damien
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Damien » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:56 pm

Brighton are playing like the away team at home in the Prem, but still getting the points... according to the illuminati on the Beeb.

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainrod's elbow » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:53 am

Esox Lucius wrote:
deadendjob wrote:
I wish YOU'd stop exaggerating people's (fantasised) exaggerations when I and others are mainly seeking to provide balanced comment - praising what was good, while qualifying that praise sensibly and constructively critically. If you don't agree, fine, but these crass misrepresentations from the usual suspects are becoming both childish and tedious now. Even the manager said post-match we need to be better at looking after the ball. Talk about selective (mis)reading and seeing what you want to see in others! Never mind!

PS Go and read some Milan Kundera - 'love is continuous interrogation'!

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainrod's elbow » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:57 am

Damien wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:56 pm
Brighton are playing like the away team at home in the Prem, but still getting the points... according to the illuminati on the Beeb.
Good for them (if true), but football isn't only about getting results - it's also about playing with a certain style (at least some of the time). When we're in our cave, I want us to play like it.

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainrod's elbow » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:59 am

deadendjob wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:04 pm
Esox Lucius wrote:
deadendjob wrote:

Jesus. Don't be so edgy. I'm not slagging the team off, just discussing what we could do better
Don't hold your breath! whistle

krama
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by krama » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:43 am

stainrod's elbow wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:59 am
deadendjob wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:04 pm
Esox Lucius wrote:

Don't hold your breath! whistle
Tell you what, you hold YOUR breath and I'll tell you when to breath out again! :D

UxbridgeR
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by UxbridgeR » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:21 am

stainrod's elbow wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:53 am
I wish YOU'd stop exaggerating people's (fantasised) exaggerations when I and others are mainly seeking to provide balanced comment - praising what was good, while qualifying that praise sensibly and constructively critically. If you don't agree, fine, but these crass misrepresentations from the usual suspects are becoming both childish and tedious now. Even the manager said post-match we need to be better at looking after the ball. Talk about selective (mis)reading and seeing what you want to see in others! Never mind!

Your reincarnation as the board's voice of reason now we've won a few games is something to behold.

Balanced comment is always welcome as far as I'm concerned. It's a shame there was so little of it about back in August when we'd lost the first 4 games, and you were shouting down anyone offering a scintilla of hope, and wanting to punch players and management.

Congratulations on your rehabilitation though.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

White Duck
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by White Duck » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:05 am

UxbridgeR wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:21 am
stainrod's elbow wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:53 am

Balanced comment is always welcome as far as I'm concerned.
And yet a lot of balanced comment is being shot down at the moment by those who can't take constructive opinions on the team and see it as 'finding negatives'....
Lex Talionis........