Villa Match Thread 26.10.18

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

krama
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Re: Villa Match Thread 26.10.18

Post by krama » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:56 pm

That league table looks good tonight, albeit probably just overnight.

White Duck
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by White Duck » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:58 pm

Wegerle wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:47 pm
I'm becoming a big fan of Leistner. What a powerhouse he is at the back!
We stole a good win today. I'll take it any ay though!
Play offs anyone? :D
On tube to Paddington: we didn’t steal anything tonight! They all fought very hard and kept the Villa chances to a minimum: we deserved the win. Pav MOTM: how on earth has he not been in the team every week until recently? Proud of the boys tonight/ great support as well!
Lex Talionis........

Danish Ranger
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by Danish Ranger » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:01 pm

[quote=krama post_id=865590 time=1540587385 user_id=1645]
That league table looks good tonight, albeit probably just overnight.
[/quote]

We will be top half this time tomorrow ... for the first time this season

QPR-NI
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by QPR-NI » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:01 pm

Wegerle wrote:
I'm becoming a big fan of Leistner. What a powerhouse he is at the back!
We stole a good win today. I'll take it any ay though!
Play offs anyone? :D

There was no stealing. We had a game plan and we executed it.

Wegerle
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Wegerle » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:12 pm

Rbee wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:51 pm
Wegerle wrote:
We stole a good win today.
You think? I saw a game plan well managed with hard work.
We defended tremendously but I can't imagine that letting the away team create wave after wave of attack on our patch being a game plan. Taking nothing away from our performance but no one could have complained the game had ended in a draw.
It didn't though so over the moon with 3 points!

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainrod's elbow » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:15 pm

I'd tend to agree with that, though (paradoxically) whatever we 'nicked', we really worked for. Fortunately, despite some enterprising approach play, Villa flattered to deceive in and around our box, and the defence was, as noted, immense - personified by Ranger Rangel's last-ditch tackle at the end and clenched fist to the crowd. I think, in the second half especially, apart from Eze (who was super-stylishly good in flashes, if rather peripheral), we lacked some quality and nous - someone to put his foot on the ball, pick a pass, or create an opening. On the odd occasions we got an opportunity to clinch the game, we lacked the conviction or bodies to capitalise.

I know there are lies, damn lies and statistics, but the BBC's figures make interesting reading. We surrendered a lot of possession (70%) again as the home side, while having a similar number of goal attempts. I think the fouls stats are also telling vis-a-vis our game plan - twice as many as theirs, an eye-widening 23! Those are figures that on another day could have bitten us on the bum, but didn't tonight, so the management team will, with some genuine justification, feel vindicated and satisfied. Like most loving supporters, I always want the 'complete' performance - strong defence, bite and creativity in the mid, width on the wings, and a goalscoring front line, capped off with the sprinkling of style and panache with which the best of this club has always been associated. But three wins in a week (and four wins and a draw out of five in October), one goal conceded, and we must be the most improved club in the land since that hollow surrender at Swansea!

I think Steve McC has drawn on every ounce of his experience and organisation (which I loudly questioned, as I've been righteously reminded by the virtue signallers), and is certainly delivering on his promise to mould a side based on a solid defensive platform, even to the extent of playing a counter-attacking game at home against the 'better' sides. (If you took out the debacle at the Baggies, we'd actually have the joint 2nd best defensive record in the division.)

To put Villa in context, and not to put down our very welcome win, they're an above average Champ side, sure, but I don't think they're all that - by contrast with our vein of form, they'd managed no victory in seven and hadn't actually won away before tonight. (And still haven't, ha ha.) I'll be delighted but also surprised if we're still in 7th at Xmas, as I still think we're a mid-table squad. The beauty is others will have their own views. For tonight, even if the game's not all it was for yours truly, the happiness at the end among the players (and Tony hugging Les in SAR) was a pleasure to behold.
"There's a blue light/in my best friend's room" -Mazzy Star

Rbee
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:23 pm

Thing is Weg that Villa team looks amazing on paper including the bench!

So I think you have to take the pragmatic approach and accept you are going to concede an awful lot of possession. So the plan is to defend from the front and limit their chances which we did, Lumley rarely called upon.

I agree a point would have been a good result but with Freeman, Eze & co along with set pieces there is always a good chance of nicking a goal.

Look through the team, Cameron had a job to do, Pav had a job to do both defensively and offensively.

Bloody hard work but really for me a well managed game.

All the Villa manager had in his post match interview was bad luck and the way the ball kept falling for us, lol

Wegerle
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Wegerle » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:26 pm

Just looking at the league table and we are 3 points off top spot with a goal difference of -4.
You've just got to love this league!😀

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:28 pm

One of the best 1-0 wins for a very long time. LR was rocking.

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainrod's elbow » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:32 pm

Rbee wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:23 pm

So I think you have to take the pragmatic approach and accept you are going to concede an awful lot of possession. So the plan is to defend from the front and limit their chances which we did, Lumley rarely called upon.

I agree a point would have been a good result but with Freeman, Eze & co along with set pieces there is always a good chance of nicking a goal.

Look through the team, Cameron had a job to do, Pav had a job to do both defensively and offensively.

All the Villa manager had in his post match interview was bad luck and the way the ball kept falling for us, lol
It's a delightful expression, isn't it - the ball 'falling' kindly/unkindly, as if had a mind of its own and were animated by intentionality. At least 'the rub of the green' imputes some legitimate role to the friction of the surface in the events of the game.

But then I'm such a romantic I get unhappy the way substitute balls are just tossed onto the pitch now without a thought that it might matter, or the way foreign coaches players have mutated 'dressing rooms' into 'changing rooms'. (That's the problem with the modern game - no sense of grandeur or soul!)
Last edited by stainrod's elbow on Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wegerle
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Wegerle » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:33 pm

Rbee wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:23 pm

I totally agree Rbee that through sheer hard work and persistence we got a good result tonight. Also we were set up very well.
Villa are a very strong side, on any other night they couid and would have put away at least one chance.
Stealing might not be the right word but it was a dangerous game to play we rode our luck a bit. Then again clean sheets and scoring goals is what makes champions!😉

Rbee
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:46 pm

Play off’s really not feasible but a far better season than we had anticipated including wonderful nights like tonight.

And all in front of the Sky cameras :D

krama
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by krama » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:55 pm

Rbee wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:46 pm
Play off’s really not feasible but a far better season than we had anticipated including wonderful nights like tonight.

And all in front of the Sky cameras :D
Oh I don't know, everyone thought we were down after four straight defeats at the start and look how that has changed.
Cliched I know but each game as it comes.

Greyhound
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Greyhound » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:05 pm

That game went exactly to plan tonight, and conceding overall possession is something we are comfortable with. Our form over 11 games suggest that the manager and coaching staff are getting a lot of things right, well done to them all.

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainrod's elbow » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:15 pm

I think it's mainly changed because the squad/team changed. We got in some unexpectedly competitive/able players in Hemed, Wells and Cameron, dropped a dodgy keeper who's confidence was clearly shot to pieces and the coaching team has helped them gel, with the virtuous circle of confidence a few decent results helps engender. Only six starters tonight - that's half a team - from the abjection at WBA tells the story of our rebooted season, in which Lynch and Leistner's emerging partnership has been pivotol, while I also think Rangel has been excellent for this level and Pav's renaissance not to be overlooked. I don't take my measure from krama's boundless confidence, and doubt we'll have the consistency to challenge for the playoffs, but strange things happen. This month and next will tell us plenty more.