Vote hijack

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

krama
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Re: Vote hijack

Post by krama » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:45 pm

UxbridgeR wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:18 pm
krama wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:18 pm
I think there is a lot of bandwagon jumping Wegerle...wanting to fit in with the general opinion and not wanting to be different. It only takes one person to speak out against the masses and others will follow suit. Bet there are others who quite like Harry who will chirp up now. Until then, you are correct, we are in a minority. Nice one.
Seems to me it's "the masses" that like him. The media certainly do, as he's always ready with a quote and a story, making their job easy.

Fans whose clubs he's actually managed often have a rather different take. Not to mention HMRC.
By masses, I was really referring to the majority on this forum, rather than in general. I agree the media do like him but that is because he is a character and not run of the mill I would say. Correct me if im wrong but wasn't Harry manager of QPR when promotion was gained v Derby in play off final in 2014? So, why the Harry hating on here or is it just the done thing...a bit like its the done thing to hate Chelsea or Fulham as a QPR supporter?

Bear-Grills
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Bear-Grills » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:12 pm

krama wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:45 pm
UxbridgeR wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:18 pm
krama wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:18 pm
I think there is a lot of bandwagon jumping Wegerle...wanting to fit in with the general opinion and not wanting to be different. It only takes one person to speak out against the masses and others will follow suit. Bet there are others who quite like Harry who will chirp up now. Until then, you are correct, we are in a minority. Nice one.
Seems to me it's "the masses" that like him. The media certainly do, as he's always ready with a quote and a story, making their job easy.

Fans whose clubs he's actually managed often have a rather different take. Not to mention HMRC.
By masses, I was really referring to the majority on this forum, rather than in general. I agree the media do like him but that is because he is a character and not run of the mill I would say. Correct me if im wrong but wasn't Harry manager of QPR when promotion was gained v Derby in play off final in 2014? So, why the Harry hating on here or is it just the done thing...a bit like its the done thing to hate Chelsea or Fulham as a QPR supporter?
I hate Man U (and Norwich and Crewe a little bit), but I'm pretty much indifferent to anything/one else football wise (although after reading Loft for Words review on tonight's match, I could be persuaded to add Shaun Harvey)
If drink isn't the answer, you were asked the wrong question

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:57 pm

It's all semantics really I suppose. Strong dislike is a better way of putting it.

krama
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by krama » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:26 pm

222gers wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:57 pm
It's all semantics really I suppose. Strong dislike is a better way of putting it.
That's it in a nutshell generally speaking 2's. aniclap
Agree also with BG on the Man U thing, otherwise no strong feelings football wise to other clubs, players etc.

Systemsguy
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Systemsguy » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:50 pm

'arry ?

Quite happily contributed to the thank you thread on here when he left the club in 2015...

He was in charge on the happiest day of my life supporting QPR at Wembley in 2014...

Now? Meh... He's gone let it go....
2018/2019.... Keep Calm, no matter the season, we'll follow our team.....

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:52 pm

Systemsguy wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:50 pm
'arry ?

Quite happily contributed to the thank you thread on here when he left the club in 2015...

He was in charge on the happiest day of my life supporting QPR at Wembley in 2014...

Without looking it up in any way shape or form, could you honestly name our starting line up from that day? I know I would struggle to name more than 7-8 of them and I was there. The 66-67 team I will never forget the starting line up, THAT was my finest day of supporting the R's.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:31 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:52 pm
Systemsguy wrote:
'arry ?

Without looking it up in any way shape or form, could you honestly name our starting line up from that day? I know I would struggle to name more than 7-8 of them and I was there. The 66-67 team I will never forget the starting line up, THAT was my finest day of supporting the R's.
I quite agree. The 66/67team and the one ten years later are etched into our psyche. They were wonderful football teams that bore comparison with any you could mention. The side that won at Wembley under Arry was expensively assembled and yet completely outplayed by Derby. We won via a mishit cross that was miscontrolled by a defender and put away with some aplomb by Bobby Z. OK our team played with great guts and composure that day and it was a great day for the fans I admit.

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:47 pm

Exactly that, IMO it was fairly close wrt chances etc. up until Gary O'Neil took George Russell out and the red card that followed, after that it was all backs to the wall defending and hoping something would break our way. The thought that Junior would out muscle Buxton and put him on his arse probably wouldn't have figured in anyone's hopes but to follow it up with a poor cross which Keogh directed straight onto Zamora's favoured foot is a fantasy :-). It was still a great couple of hours afterwards though, as was the hours after Clem announced to the waiting crowds in SA road that there would be no points deducted before the Leeds game, especially outside the Coningham/ Adelaide with cars, buses and taxis all honking their horns and the police taking a very lenient view to public drinking LOL.

Systemsguy
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Systemsguy » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:56 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:52 pm
Systemsguy wrote:
'arry ?

Aah while 2010 / 2011 was a wonderful season, it for me was ruined by Faulingate.....

I heard the news "no points deduction" on South Africa Road as Leeds fans were trying to wind up QPR fans with a "staying down" chant.... Choked was a polite expression when they realised the result.... To me it was relief rather than elation after a long season....

82 and 86 were big disappointments as I was at both finals.

75/76 was the greatest ever side I saw grace Loftus Road but I went to bed in tears the night of the Wolves v Liverpool game....

66/67 sorry I'm old but was only coming up for three years old so couldn't compare them ( sadly the 66 World Cup was a miss as well with mine being the 70 World Cup woe as my first memory )

So 2013 / 2014 was a tin pot trophy BUT to finally win at Wembley in such a dramatic manner.... Oh and I bumped into my childhood hero Stan Bowles in Wembley after the match with my son makes it my day of days as a QPR fan....

Thank you 'arry and Uncle Tony...
2018/2019.... Keep Calm, no matter the season, we'll follow our team.....

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:34 pm

To revisit this tawdry subject. There is a book called Broken Dreams by Tom Bower all about corruption and greed in football in this country. It is a truly sickening read for any football fan. Terry Venables and Harry Redknapp both get chapters all to themselves and neither make comfortable reading. I would strongly suggest that posters on here read it and it may help give understanding to some of the diabolical things that we have all seen in football since we began following the game. The fact that the author has not received a single writ over his book lends a lot of weight to the fact that he has got his details spot on.

White Duck
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by White Duck » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:07 pm

Football at the top level is awash with money nowadays: no point in worrying about it because it's not going to change. Greedy individuals are attracted to the 'beautiful game' because of it as there is easy money to be made: just look at FIFA and the PFA.

Redknapp and Venables are by no means the worst of them: there have been numerous individuals who have been caught, accused, implicated etc and I'm sure there are thousands of others we know nothing about.
Lex Talionis........

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:10 pm

White Duck wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:07 pm
Football at the top level is awash with money nowadays: no point in worrying about it because it's not going to change. Greedy individuals are attracted to the 'beautiful game' because of it as there is easy money to be made: just look at FIFA and the PFA.

Redknapp and Venables are by no means the worst of them: there have been numerous individuals who have been caught, accused, implicated etc and I'm sure there are thousands of others we know nothing about.
Have you read the book? It goes beyond simple greed. I would respectfully suggest that you read the book and then come back on here and tell us your feelings then.

White Duck
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by White Duck » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:49 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:10 pm
White Duck wrote:

Have you read the book? It goes beyond simple greed. I would respectfully suggest that you read the book and then come back on here and tell us your feelings then.
No I haven't read the book: it's not the football greed and corruption bible though so people should be able to express opinions on the subject without having read it.
Lex Talionis........

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:12 pm

White Duck wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:49 pm
Esox Lucius wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:10 pm
White Duck wrote:

No I haven't read the book: it's not the football greed and corruption bible though so people should be able to express opinions on the subject without having read it.
Perhaps you would take the opportunity, if presented, to read it as I feel certain that you would express a different opinion to the one you currently hold. It goes a long way to explaining the almost mystifying transfers that we have seen at QPR, and at nearly every other club, which have left fans scratching their heads in bemusement. The Javier Chevanton and Dellatore transfers in recent memory are just plain inexplicable from a first viewing but after reading the book it is a lot more apparent why clubs over the years have bought so many duds.