Chief.

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Chief.

Post by Esox Lucius » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:42 am

It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Re: Chief.

Post by dm » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:54 am

Asking him to play for free then offering a pay per game deal does seem odd and it would have been interesting to have had the club's response.

However, Onuoha has ended up in a mid-table side in an American league which indicates he didn't get any better offers in the English leagues. A 'shop window' at QPR might have turned something up that was better but that said, I don't think anyone should work without pay.

Crabsandwich
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by Crabsandwich » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:09 pm

I'm not sure that this bit rings true...
I felt it wasn't right, especially as I knew they were trying to recruit other players for similar or more money,
Dave Mc said this in response to someone who expressed surprise that Ned wasn't moving up north after leaving us...
@davidmcintyre76
It gives an indication of the kind of money players have been on at QPR and the surprise some of them get when leaving.

n22hoop
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by n22hoop » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:20 pm

It's not his fault he was over paid whilst at QPR but perhaps his agent might have painted a more realistic picture for him around finding a new club.

I strongly suspect he had designs on playing for the likes of WBA or Boro.
"Football is the love of form. A spectacle that scarcely leaves a trace in the memory and does not enrich or impoverish knowledge. This is its appeal : it is exciting and empty." Mario Vargas Llosa

Nick_Hammersmith
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by Nick_Hammersmith » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:57 pm

It's a strange one for me. I really Ned the person, but I'm struggling to feel sorry for him.
Football is a unique sector, where a contract is offered up, so Ned knows how much money to expect and how long (minimum) he can expect to be employed for (pretty much regardless of performance).

I think Ned did an OK job, not outstanding, but not poor. To me, he always looked like he could drop a ricket at any moment, but the most frustrating thing was that he had the ingredients to be a lot better.

Reading his comments, which might be out of context, it sounds like we did the right thing to let him go.

We are talking about a man who admits he didn't need the money to live, so that makes the decision about playing for "free" even stranger, as effectively he could have got some high profile minutes of Championship football under his belt to help facilitate a better move somewhere else.

I'm struggling to find any sympathy for the way the club has dealt with Ned, just like Mackie found I think the market has shown that Ned's value wasn't as high as we were paying out. So, not his fault, but he can't really moan about it, as the game is the same for everyone.

Say he was on £30k a week, that could be three more players like Eze in the squad, it's not even a choice!

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:17 pm

Nick_Hammersmith wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:57 pm
It's a strange one for me. I really Ned the person, but I'm struggling to feel sorry for him.
Football is a unique sector, where a contract is offered up, so Ned knows how much money to expect and how long (minimum) he can expect to be employed for (pretty much regardless of performance).

I think Ned did an OK job, not outstanding, but not poor. To me, he always looked like he could drop a ricket at any moment, but the most frustrating thing was that he had the ingredients to be a lot better.

Reading his comments, which might be out of context, it sounds like we did the right thing to let him go.

We are talking about a man who admits he didn't need the money to live, so that makes the decision about playing for "free" even stranger, as effectively he could have got some high profile minutes of Championship football under his belt to help facilitate a better move somewhere else.

I'm struggling to find any sympathy for the way the club has dealt with Ned, just like Mackie found I think the market has shown that Ned's value wasn't as high as we were paying out. So, not his fault, but he can't really moan about it, as the game is the same for everyone.

Say he was on £30k a week, that could be three more players like Eze in the squad, it's not even a choice!
I am struggling to remember the source but someone (QPR related) said that Eze's new contract would put him on £3-4k a week which would put him on a par with most of the 1st team with £7-10k for the elite.

White Duck
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by White Duck » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:34 pm

How many £££££s would he have been on in the Premiership years? The way the club was run when we signed him makes its highly unlikely he would've had a relegation wage reduction clause written into his contract so it makes sense he would've still been on top money (relatively speaking) whilst he was still with us.

After the money he earnt out of QPR it seems bitter of him to go moaning to the press when the club correctly made the decision not to extend his contract for the money he obviously wanted.
Lex Talionis........

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:58 pm

White Duck wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:34 pm
How many £££££s would he have been on in the Premiership years? The way the club was run when we signed him makes its highly unlikely he would've had a relegation wage reduction clause written into his contract so it makes sense he would've still been on top money (relatively speaking) whilst he was still with us.

After the money he earnt out of QPR it seems bitter of him to go moaning to the press when the club correctly made the decision not to extend his contract for the money he obviously wanted.
It may be that clubs want to insert relegation clauses into contracts but these days players have the whip hand and would refuse such contracts. We went from players being underpaid wage slaves pre Jimmy Hill to the bloated overpaid monstrosities that the modern players have become. I lked Ned but don't feel sorry for his predicament.

Nick_Hammersmith
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by Nick_Hammersmith » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:59 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:17 pm
Nick_Hammersmith wrote:

I am struggling to remember the source but someone (QPR related) said that Eze's new contract would put him on £3-4k a week which would put him on a par with most of the 1st team with £7-10k for the elite.
I think it was Kev Gallen on the podcast, and I trust that he was correct

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:28 pm

222gers wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:58 pm
White Duck wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:34 pm

It may be that clubs want to insert relegation clauses into contracts but these days players have the whip hand and would refuse such contracts. We went from players being underpaid wage slaves pre Jimmy Hill to the bloated overpaid monstrosities that the modern players have become. I lked Ned but don't feel sorry for his predicament.
I have no proof, but I was led to believe that Chief took a 75% pay cut when his EPL contract still had a year to go as he wanted to stay with the club and the club were looking to let him go because of his EPL wages.

White Duck
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by White Duck » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:47 pm

Reading the article again I think it's a combination of p*ss poor clickbait-style journalism and a bitter ex player putting the boot in despite earning millions out of QPR over the years.

How can he have been asked to play for free based on this: "I knew they were trying to recruit other players for similar or more money," Onuoha said. And where did the b*llsh*t story about him wanting to move to be with his family up North generate itself from?

Always thought he was a bang average player but he's shown himself up as a typical greedy footballer by his comments.
Lex Talionis........

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:04 pm

White Duck wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:47 pm
Reading the article again I think it's a combination of p*ss poor clickbait-style journalism and a bitter ex player putting the boot in despite earning millions out of QPR over the years.

How can he have been asked to play for free based on this: "I knew they were trying to recruit other players for similar or more money," Onuoha said. And where did the b*llsh*t story about him wanting to move to be with his family up North generate itself from?

Always thought he was a bang average player but he's shown himself up as a typical greedy footballer by his comments.
It's difficult to have much regard for modern footballers, I agree. Some seem more “genuine” than others, but overall I just can't whip up much enthusiasm for them. It's a real effort for me to get to matches due to health reasons and I'll have to pack up one day. In the days of Leach and Bowles and Givens it would have been a blow, but given modern players and more so, the way the game is played and run these days, I don't think I'll miss it that much.

Montag
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Montag » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:00 pm

Wasn't sorry he went. Glad in fact. He'll be ok though. In years to come people will say: "They called him Captain Ballsup."
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."
Richard III, Act IV, W. Shakespeare

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:49 pm

Montag wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:00 pm
Wasn't sorry he went. Glad in fact. He'll be ok though. In years to come people will say: "They called him Captain Ballsup."
Nah, that'll always be Joey.

UxbridgeR
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by UxbridgeR » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:12 am

Nick_Hammersmith wrote:

He'd just played 3 consecutive seasons of "high profile" Championship football. Why would you expect him to be grateful for the offer of more for nothing in return ?

There's no doubt he earned a lot of money at QPR. When he signed a 4 and a half year contract back in Jan-12, the rumours were that he was getting £65K a week. Who knows what the actual number was, but it's pretty reasonable to assume it was in that ballpark. We'd been reportedly after him for quite a while, and it felt at the time as if we eventually upped the ante to a point where he couldn't really say no. 4 and a half years at 65k a week. Madness, but you can hardly blame the player.

However he signed a new deal after relegation, even though he had a year left on his existing one. Yes, he got the security of a 2 year extension, and I'm sure he was still one of the better paid members of the squad, but I very much doubt we were offering anyone more than £20K a week at that point. So effectively he would have been taking a 70% pay cut to stay at a newly relegated club. That doesn't strike me as the action of your archetypal "greedy footballer".

You can certainly argue that he has been very fortunate to be paid what he has relative to his actual ability. But that was QPR's fault, not his. And I don't care who you are, being asked to work for nothing at 31 years old (if that is indeed what happened) is taking the piss. He owed QPR nothing, and nor did the club owe him anything.

It was the right time for him to go, and I don't feel sorry for him. It does seem as if he thought there would be better offers out there than eventually materialized. I don't really read it as him putting the boot into the club though.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?