Match Thread: Queens Park Rangers FC v Derby County

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

LanCat
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Re: Match Thread: Queens Park Rangers FC v Derby County

Post by LanCat » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:05 pm

End to end championship fare, either team could have won, draw was probably right.

Rangel did very well both before and after the Bidwell injury. Pav did a proper job once again. No real standouts or poor performers.

Ref almost ruined the game with his "look-at-me" whistling for everything. Certainly seemed to buy into a lot of Derby play-acting (there are still savvier teams than us out there, do they practice this stuff?). Probably the only thing to moan about - except for the bloody rain.

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:19 pm

A good 7+ performance form both teams. Lumley was on good form to keep out a free kick from Lawrence :D and a swerving shot right at the end that I thought was headed in.
Back four coped well with Derby and it was only a momentary lapse from Leistner not attacking a dropping ball and allowing it to bounce that cost us the goal. Cameron got better and better as the game went on deserved his goal. We look a much better side with him in.
Freeman was probably our best player today and worked tirelessly with no little amount of skill. Mass worked hard and was quietly effective in the middle of the park, even more so as he had to careful after picking up a cheap booking. Eze struggled a bit with all the attention he was getting but occasionally showed glimpses of his talent. Jordan Cousins was another who was quietly effective in his role and was unlucky(for him) to get injured but bringing on Pawel was a real game changer on that side. the amount of times he chased down lost cause and won the ball back along with running at Derby causing them problems at the back makes me wonder what he has to do to get a start. Wells is a class above what we have been used to recently with guile, reading of the game, winning ball in tight situations etc. he just needs a goal to settle him and we will have something worth watching in him. Finally, SMC got his tactics and substitutions spot on, albeit the time before sending on a sub for Bidwell was a nervous one but when you saw the changes he was making you can understand why there was such a delay.
Most would have settled for a draw before the game and it was a fair result IMO. Ref was pretty shit for both sides.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

deadendjob
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by deadendjob » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:32 pm

Only seen the highlights, so appreciate the match reviews.

Andy_N19
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Andy_N19 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:55 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:19 pm
Wells is a class above what we have been used to recently with guile, reading of the game, winning ball in tight situations etc.
Completely agree. Some idiots on here were comparing him to the erstwhile 3 amigos,
rubbish, he's contributing a lot, lot more.
Staff Benda Bilili

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:17 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:19 pm
A good 7+ performance form both teams. Lumley was on good form to keep out a free kick from Lawrence :D and a swerving shot right at the end that I thought was headed in.
Back four coped well with Derby and it was only a momentary lapse from Leistner not attacking a dropping ball and allowing it to bounce that cost us the goal. Cameron got better and better as the game went on deserved his goal. We look a much better side with him in.
Freeman was probably our best player today and worked tirelessly with no little amount of skill. Mass worked hard and was quietly effective in the middle of the park, even more so as he had to careful after picking up a cheap booking. Eze struggled a bit with all the attention he was getting but occasionally showed glimpses of his talent. Jordan Cousins was another who was quietly effective in his role and was unlucky(for him) to get injured but bringing on Pawel was a real game changer on that side. the amount of times he chased down lost cause and won the ball back along with running at Derby causing them problems at the back makes me wonder what he has to do to get a start. Wells is a class above what we have been used to recently with guile, reading of the game, winning ball in tight situations etc. he just needs a goal to settle him and we will have something worth watching in him. Finally, SMC got his tactics and substitutions spot on, albeit the time before sending on a sub for Bidwell was a nervous one but when you saw the changes he was making you can understand why there was such a delay.
Most would have settled for a draw before the game and it was a fair result IMO. Ref was pretty shit for both sides.
Good summation. It looked like we were going to play out the rest of the first half with 10 men in an effort to get Bidders fit. Some are saying he has a broken collar bone. With Frank McClintock being there at half time it reminded me of a match at West Ham when we played the last 5 or 10 minutes of the first half with ten men trying to get him fit for the second half. We conceded in that period and ended up losing 0-1. Am I correct or is my memory playing tricks ?

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:18 pm

I've read that Bidwell may have broken his collar bone. If so that's 8 weeks out.

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:50 pm

dm wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:18 pm
I've read that Bidwell may have broken his collar bone. If so that's 8 weeks out.
Who's going to cover for Bidwell when Lynch is injured over Xmas :wink:

Giorgio
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Giorgio » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:31 pm

dm wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:18 pm
..it came from a nasty challenge and the guy who did it got away with nothing.....whereas that idiot ref gave yellows for much less....

old pauline
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by old pauline » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:54 am

Second half I thought we looked stronger as a team and a much more serious proposition. At the start of the season we would have lost that game 2 or 3 nil with a disjointed display. So well done to McClaren for that. Now if we can add just a little bit more risk taking to our good backbone then hopefully the home wins will come. But we didn't get done by a decent Derby team and that was important.

Good to see Luongo getting back to what we know he is capable of too. His contribution and level was almost back to what we know he can do.

U RRRR's
Come on you Sooopa ........

Greyhound
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Greyhound » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:42 pm

Cameron surprised me, I thought he was extremely effective in his role, and played it calm and simple.

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:31 pm

It is good to see that after a well fought draw, that the most debate is on people's opinion of who was MOTM. :D
A mention to SMC who yesterday, IMO, got the tactics right and the substitutions. He gets pelters most of the times, and rightly so in some cases, so credit where it is due for this one.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

John in Hemel
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by John in Hemel » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:59 pm

Agreed.
cracking half time team talk as we were the better team in the second half.
Least said about the first half the better

Stateside Ranger
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by Stateside Ranger » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:40 pm

Derby message boards saying McClaren has improved our play and Eze was the best player on the pitch yesterday. Good to see SMc getting some credit 😀

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainrod's elbow » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:44 am

Even I'm quite pleased :) - not quite yet as the proverbial Mr Punch, but we looked competitive and decently creative, so credit to the team and preparation. After such an uneven season opening, let's hope we can build on this now.

Slightly spooked by Bidwell's calamity. I feel injuries will test us - we lose Wells/Eze/Freeman for any period, and that could hurt us. I still want to see Pav and BOS used to their full as attacking wingers, but it doesn't seem to be McClaren's way.
"There's a blue light/in my best friend's room" -Mazzy Star