Bobby Zamora Day

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Bobby Zamora Day

Post by Esox Lucius » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:01 am

10 am on Sky they are showing the 2014 PO final :D
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

kernowhoop
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Re: Bobby Zamora Day

Post by kernowhoop » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:59 am

Thanks Esox. Enjoyed that (again).
Could not help but think that there were QPR players on that pitch that deserved more respect from the fans afterwards. It was a battling performance and that team was up for it. The shirts that they wore to go up the steps at the end told a story, too.
It's simple. Score more goals than they do.

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:26 am

Yep, the one thing that Joey Barton got right in his sorry association with QPR was to persuade them to get Steve Black in; IMO the difference was tangible in the side, even the Wigan matches were a noticeable difference to what had gone on for most of that season.

stainesranger
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainesranger » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:14 pm

That was a season and a match to be savoured. I think, possibly, in the immediate context of how much we'd spent etc it didn't feel like it was a season to be savoured and that perhaps "moneybags" were QPR expected to do better. We all know now that spending money doesn't guarantee success.

But if you look at the broad scope of our history, that was one of our more successful seasons. It culminated in a victory at Wembley in the most valuable match in world sport.

When you look at that season compared with, say, the last few seasons or the period of time when we went down to League 1 it was a great season full of good results and a great climax. The players showed grit and determination all season to get there and then win the game. Perhaps they should've done even better, but drama wise it was brilliant. We also had some good quality in that team too.

In my opinion, by virtue of his key role in that promotion winning team, its not right to say that Barton's association with the club was a sorry one.

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:22 pm

stainesranger wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:14 pm
That was a season and a match to be savoured. I think, possibly, in the immediate context of how much we'd spent etc it didn't feel like it was a season to be savoured and that perhaps "moneybags" were QPR expected to do better. We all know now that spending money doesn't guarantee success.

But if you look at the broad scope of our history, that was one of our more successful seasons. It culminated in a victory at Wembley in the most valuable match in world sport.

When you look at that season compared with, say, the last few seasons or the period of time when we went down to League 1 it was a great season full of good results and a great climax. The players showed grit and determination all season to get there and then win the game. Perhaps they should've done even better, but drama wise it was brilliant. We also had some good quality in that team too.

In my opinion, by virtue of his key role in that promotion winning team, its not right to say that Barton's association with the club was a sorry one.
Oh yes it is.

BiscuitRanger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by BiscuitRanger » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:28 pm

Bobby Z. Always tried. Had a decent attitude.
Dick Barton was just a knob.
Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brain falls out.

ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:01 pm

Whatever you opinion of Joey Barton's contribution and ability on the pitch, one thing is absolutely certain:

Over the course of his contract we did not get value for money.

£70,000 a week? Someone was definitely having a laugh, and I suspect it was Barton, his agent and his bank manager.

It certainly wasn't anyone connected with QPR ...

and then there was FFP!

:oops:
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

White Duck
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by White Duck » Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:08 pm

ZENITH R wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:01 pm
Whatever you opinion of Joey Barton's contribution and ability on the pitch, one thing is absolutely certain:

£70,000 a week? Someone was definitely having a laugh, and I suspect it was Barton, his agent and his bank manager.

and then there was FFP!

I think it's fair to say we didn't get value for money out of 99% of the players we signed after getting promotion the last two times.... Barton was far from the worst of them.
Lex Talionis........

Rbee
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:07 pm

Was probably at his best for us during his last season, played really well at times, plenty of effort and shot blocking.

As White Duck says a long way from being our worst signing.

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:21 pm

White Duck wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:08 pm
ZENITH R wrote:

and then there was FFP!

I think it's fair to say we didn't get value for money out of 99% of the players we signed after getting promotion the last two times.... Barton was far from the worst of them.
Having to send him off to France because he couldn't play for us whilst on £70k a week pretty much puts him at the bottom of the pile by a distance. He was pushing Mark Dennis hard for the number of red cards at QPR but at least Mark Dennis wasn't shit stirring in the dressing room all the time.

stainesranger
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainesranger » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:22 pm

For me, he seemed to galvanise the team. I can’t begin to quantify what 70k p/w should look like on the pitch but the fact that he was a standout performer in that promotion winning season (worth x squillion quid) makes me think writing him off as a waste of money isn’t right.

Obvs the sending off against City was ridiculous: no arguments there, but I personally felt he was the heart and soul of the team that season.

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:32 pm

I guess we were at different games. Rob Green was outstanding that season along with Charlie Austin. Matt Phillips had his best season with us that year too IMO.

stainesranger
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainesranger » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:06 pm

Or we saw the same games differently. I agree that those players were very good too though.

White Duck
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by White Duck » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:55 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:21 pm
White Duck wrote:
ZENITH R wrote:

and then there was FFP!

Having to send him off to France because he couldn't play for us whilst on £70k a week pretty much puts him at the bottom of the pile by a distance. He was pushing Mark Dennis hard for the number of red cards at QPR but at least Mark Dennis wasn't shit stirring in the dressing room all the time.
Marseille would have been paying most if not all of his wages I think. So hardly 'bottom of the pile by a distance' in terms of value compared to the likes of SWP who was happy to sit in the reserves forever whilst taking the £££££s.
Lex Talionis........

krama
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by krama » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:49 pm

White Duck wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:55 pm
Esox Lucius wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:21 pm
White Duck wrote:

Marseille would have been paying most if not all of his wages I think. So hardly 'bottom of the pile by a distance' in terms of value compared to the likes of SWP who was happy to sit in the reserves forever whilst taking the £££££s.
...but how do you know these statements you make are fact?...purely speculation from an outsiders standpoint...how do you know SWP was happy just taking the money? Did you speak with him about this! Maybe there were other factors in play? Who knows. :? :?