Birmingham match thread

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Re: Birmingham match thread

Post by Esox Lucius » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:40 am

stainrod's elbow wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:03 pm
I hope 'ditching the fancy stuff' doesn't mean stop playing football (as our manager confidently announced he would be trying to do when he arrived), but of course saying one thing and doing another is hardly alien to this industry.

I'd say a 0-0 against a team who hasn't won all season, in a game we clearly should have won, is a glass half empty scenario - especially as I bet we won't win too many on our travels again this season. (As I recall, for context, Ollie took us up there to win 4-1 and 2-1 last year and the year before.)

Mind you, as an overseas supporter who has been belittled on this board for not crossing the Irish Sea on a weekly basis, I'd probably better brace myself for the latest unsanctioned insult.
Perhaps if social media wasn't full of critics such as you, that would cut SMC some slack whilst the club struggled to find it's feet again and he doesn't lose his job to "popular opinion", then you may find that he doesn't go all defensive just to make he doesn't lose. A more supportive set of fans may have given him the impetus to stick BOS & Smyth on yesterday to try to win the game instead of taking attackers off to make he didn't lose the point he already had.
Nature & nurture. Backing the team through thick and thin is support, no matter how little a time you have been following them. Finding fault in every little perceived situation is ranting.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

deepseahoop
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by deepseahoop » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:46 am

Paul Fitz wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:59 am
Well.........I’m Irish........did cross the Irish Sea (Wales) and still struggle to catch matches.........and I thought it was a good point, just because of what went on previously.

For the record (when we’re not insulting each other) this is usually a great place for some match insight. Some of the “Just Back” authors are both excellent and invaluable, especially to us fans that rarely attend games.

Last time I visited LR it was a horrible experience. The result and seating arrangement (I spent 90 minutes having my knees crushed by the seat in front) added to an excruciating day. Much rather watch from the comfort of my living room.
On the point of what went on previously, does Sheffield Uniteds demolition of Villa put our unfortunate loss to them into some perspective?
Crying won't help you praying won't do you no good

W12Allstars
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by W12Allstars » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:28 am

deepseahoop wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:46 am
Paul Fitz wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:59 am
Well.........I’m Irish........did cross the Irish Sea (Wales) and still struggle to catch matches.........and I thought it was a good point, just because of what went on previously.

For the record (when we’re not insulting each other) this is usually a great place for some match insight. Some of the “Just Back” authors are both excellent and invaluable, especially to us fans that rarely attend games.

Last time I visited LR it was a horrible experience. The result and seating arrangement (I spent 90 minutes having my knees crushed by the seat in front) added to an excruciating day. Much rather watch from the comfort of my living room.
On the point of what went on previously, does Sheffield Uniteds demolition of Villa put our unfortunate loss to them into some perspective?
I did ponder that too Deepsea. Not sure Steve Bruce should be too sure about his job there though.
Far better is it to dare mighty things, than to dwell in the twighlight that knows neither victory nor defeat - T Roosevelt

Devonranger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Devonranger » Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:27 pm

Similar maybe for Bristol City - picking up some decent results now.

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainrod's elbow » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:58 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:40 am
stainrod's elbow wrote:
I hope 'ditching the fancy stuff' doesn't mean stop playing football (as our manager confidently announced he would be trying to do when he arrived), but of course saying one thing and doing another is hardly alien to this industry.

I'd say a 0-0 against a team who hasn't won all season, in a game we clearly should have won, is a glass half empty scenario - especially as I bet we won't win too many on our travels again this season. (As I recall, for context, Ollie took us up there to win 4-1 and 2-1 last year and the year before.)

Mind you, as an overseas supporter who has been belittled on this board for not crossing the Irish Sea on a weekly basis, I'd probably better brace myself for the latest unsanctioned insult.
Perhaps if social media wasn't full of critics such as you, that would cut SMC some slack whilst the club struggled to find it's feet again and he doesn't lose his job to "popular opinion", then you may find that he doesn't go all defensive just to make he doesn't lose. A more supportive set of fans may have given him the impetus to stick BOS & Smyth on yesterday to try to win the game instead of taking attackers off to make he didn't lose the point he already had.
Nature & nurture. Backing the team through thick and thin is support, no matter how little a time you have been following them. Finding fault in every little perceived situation is ranting.
Sorry to disappoint your thesis, but the irony for people like you is that I don't even use social media. I stand by my criticisms of SMc regardless. If he improves the team and squad through old-fashioned coaching and organisation, however, I'll also applaud him. The idea that the fans should influence the manager's decision making about his substitutions is bizarre, though. Does he not have a mind of his own and the courage of his own convictions?

Backing the club regardless of what they do is NOT good or intelligent support - something (how many more times - criticality is a function of love!) the likes of you and Krama will never grasp, it seems.
"There's a blue light/in my best friend's room" -Mazzy Star

krama
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by krama » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:28 pm

stainrod's elbow wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:58 pm
Esox Lucius wrote:
stainrod's elbow wrote:

Sorry to disappoint your thesis, but the irony for people like you is that I don't even use social media. I stand by my criticisms of SMc regardless. If he improves the team and squad through old-fashioned coaching and organisation, however, I'll also applaud him. The idea that the fans should influence the manager's decision making about his substitutions is bizarre, though. Does he not have a mind of his own and the courage of his own convictions?

Backing the club regardless of what they do is NOT good or intelligent support - something (how many more times - criticality is a function of love!) the likes of you and Krama will never grasp, it seems.
Sorry to disappoint you but by using this forum you are using social media...interacting with others via the internet.
"criticality is a function of love"? What?!!! I am making a huge assumption here, but if you have a spouse, he/she must have a rough time of it and that's a fact! :cry:

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:41 pm

stainrod's elbow wrote:
Esox Lucius wrote:
stainrod's elbow wrote:

A made up aphorism to prove a point merely denigrates any point you may have had in the first place. I back the club regardless as I have neither the money nor the skill set to improve on what they do. What I do have however is the willingness to go and watch the club I love and put money in their coffers, something you no longer do but still claim past support makes you someone who supports QPR. You don't!
Claiming that irony for me is you not using social media is beyond pitiful, this MB is social media and it is statements like that that lead me to believe that whatever you were, or claimed to be in the past, it no longer holds true and has descended into a quagmire of very poorly thought out trolling and passive aggressiveness.
Put your money where your mouth is over your passion for QPR, and join Giorgio on his flight from Dublin for the games.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainrod's elbow » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:46 pm

Never mind - I'm afraid I lost interest in your riposte after the first five words! You go your way, and I'll go mine.

UxbridgeR
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by UxbridgeR » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:52 pm

stainrod's elbow wrote:

Is it ?

Of course he has a mind of his own, but when you lose your first 4 games, and your own supporters are singing "You're getting sacked in the morning" at your second home game, you probably realise you're on pretty shaky ground. That's when taking a point and a clean sheet away from home might seem a safer option than going for broke and trying to win the game. If he'd done that and we'd ended up losing, I'm pretty sure his detractors would have been waiting to pounce once again, as they will be every time we lose a game.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

JC
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by JC » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:57 pm

stainrod's elbow wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:46 pm
Never mind - I'm afraid I lost interest in your riposte after the first five words! You go your way, and I'll go mine.
Bet you still read to the end

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainrod's elbow » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:31 pm

I read voraciously, but filter relentlessly. :-)

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainrod's elbow » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:36 pm

UxbridgeR wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:52 pm
stainrod's elbow wrote:

Is it ?

Of course he has a mind of his own, but when you lose your first 4 games, and your own supporters are singing "You're getting sacked in the morning" at your second home game, you probably realise you're on pretty shaky ground. That's when taking a point and a clean sheet away from home might seem a safer option than going for broke and trying to win the game. If he'd done that and we'd ended up losing, I'm pretty sure his detractors would have been waiting to pounce once again, as they will be every time we lose a game.
I'm not so childish to throw my toys out of the pram just because we lose - and wasn't ejecting my teddies after the other two defeats. It was, rather obviously, the shockingly unprofessional and chaotic showing at WBA Our heands down worst performance and result for decades), and the similarly amateurish decline against Bristol City, that upset me, and a lot of people, adding up as it did to our worst start to the season in living memory to boot.

A good manager is a good manager: he uses intelligent methods that get results, evaluates his resources wisely, and has well-honed footballing philosophy he believes in and infuses through a club. I'm not sure if Steve Mc is a good manager, but I guess whether the club soars or suffers under his direction will answer the question.

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainrod's elbow » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:40 pm

I don't think the fans should ideally have been singing about our new manager's sacking, but after those appalling performances, what did he/you expect: a warm rain from the grandstands of 'play up the Rs' and 'rotten luck, old chap'?

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainrod's elbow » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:47 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:41 pm
stainrod's elbow wrote:
Esox Lucius wrote:

A made up aphorism to prove a point merely denigrates any point you may have had in the first place. I back the club regardless as I have neither the money nor the skill set to improve on what they do. What I do have however is the willingness to go and watch the club I love and put money in their coffers, something you no longer do but still claim past support makes you someone who supports QPR. You don't!
Claiming that irony for me is you not using social media is beyond pitiful, this MB is social media and it is statements like that that lead me to believe that whatever you were, or claimed to be in the past, it no longer holds true and has descended into a quagmire of very poorly thought out trolling and passive aggressiveness.
Put your money where your mouth is over your passion for QPR, and join Giorgio on his flight from Dublin for the games.
What strangely fundamentalist logic! Would you also support an incompetent doctor who sawed off your leg by mistake because you lacked the dosh or training to be a medic?

And yes, just as Mourinho was reasonably arguing this week, your past does, in part, contribute to the respect you deserve and your self-identity, sorry! Or do you think you have to 'prove' yourself as a Rangers fan every day you wake up?

Just for the record, I find you and Karma the most passive-agressive (and just aggressive) contributors here, actually. Do you ever look in the mirror once in a while?

krama
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by krama » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:59 pm

stainrod's elbow wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:47 pm
Esox Lucius wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:41 pm
stainrod's elbow wrote:

What strangely fundamentalist logic! Would you also support an incompetent doctor who sawed off your leg by mistake because you lacked the dosh or training to be a medic?

And yes, just as Mourinho was reasonably arguing this week, your past does, in part, contribute to the respect you deserve and your self-identity, sorry! Or do you think you have to 'prove' yourself as a Rangers fan every day you wake up?

Just for the record, I find you and Karma the most passive-agressive (and just aggressive) contributors here, actually. Do you ever look in the mirror once in a while?
Something rather satisfying about an ironic malapropism. :mrgreen: