The Bristol Rovers Question

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

n22hoop
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Re: The Bristol Rovers Question

Post by n22hoop » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:15 am

stainrod's elbow wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:23 pm
Part of the premise for ousting Ollie and reeling in SM was the development of the young players. So far,

Smyth - hardly featured, and now rumoured to be going out on loan
Manning - season-long loan
Chair - sit on it!
Kakay - blooded then dropped
Ingram - ditto
Hamalainen - who?
Oteh - vanished

Either these bright young things were/are not all they were cracked up to be, or the manager isn't, or both, it would seem. Why the board could not have flogged our keeper, brought in the two new strikers and kept us the 'must leave LR' campaign with Ian at the helm is frankly beyond me, but then QPR usually is.
My word but you’re a phenomenal whinger. As soon as McClaren wins a game you shift to moan about not playing the youngsters anymore. I think it’s fair to say that results are the priority followed by embedding young blood into the team. We started the season badly so, I’m guessing, McClaren had to sacrifice youth for experience to steady the ship. However, to address your point, some of the players you list have featured perhaps more than you suggest.

Of the 7 games played by us so far this season:

Smyth (age 20) – has been in the squad for 5 of those + came on as a sub in 2. Are you expecting too much too soon from this kid? He’s 20.
Chair (20) – has been involved in the squad for 3 games - on the bench for 2 and started against Bristol Rovers (with an assist for one of the early goals)
Kakay (21) – has been involved in the squad for every game - started 5 (two of which we won).
Ingram (24)– was understandably dropped after a difficult few games. Played in the winning team against Bristol Rovers (very nearly keeping a clean sheet).
Hamalainen (21) – a young player who started against Bristol Rovers and we won. He has a 100% games to victory record! Impressive.
Oteh (19) – you have to assume he’s not doing enough in training to make regular match day squads but was on the bench vs. Bristol Rovers.

In your rant you failed to mention the following young players:

Eze (20) – has started 5 games so far this season and featured as a sub in a 6th. Was rested vs. Bristol Rovers. Has scored a goal.
Lumley (23) – has been involved in the squad for every game. Helped to steady the ship after some very poor form resulting in our first league win of the season against Wigan.
Osayi-Samuel (20) – has been involved in the squad for 3 games so far this season. He’s started in 2 games and has scored against Bristol Rovers.

Lastly, in the starting 11 for the Bristol Rovers game were the following young players – Kakay / Osayi-Samuel / Chair / Hamalainen. The following players came on as subs – Smyth, Owens (20) & Bettache (18). And these chaps were unused subs, Lumley, Oteh, Fox (19) & Felix (19). That’s 11 young players from a squad of 18 and WE WON. I think that’s a really impressive result and is worth calling that out.

I didn’t rate Ollie as a manager (nice guy but he was / is seriously limited in the modern game) and I didn’t support the appointment of McClaren but, first and foremost, I do support QPR.

We are where we are, you can only support what’s in front of you.
"Football is the love of form. A spectacle that scarcely leaves a trace in the memory and does not enrich or impoverish knowledge. This is its appeal : it is exciting and empty." Mario Vargas Llosa

Crabsandwich
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by Crabsandwich » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:57 pm

Complaining that Ingram has been sacrificed because the manager has abandoned youth, whilst replacing him with a younger goalkeeper, is the absolute height of stupidity.

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainrod's elbow » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:18 pm

Calling me 'stupid' mainly makes you look stupid, I'm afraid.

My point, if you can actually read, was that the manager shows more interest, I'd say, in bringing in experience than working to develop the young players - though I admit it's early days. He was brought in for his coaching abilities, but all he could talk about was the loans market when things went pear-shaped with the youth he has been tasked to develop - you'd think he was 'Arry in disguise!

It isn't a black and white issue, I admit, and we've at least won a couple of games at LR since (most recently against a 'strong' Bristol Rovers, according to McClaren's bit of risible spin-doctoring), but I still find his interview after the Bristol City debacle embarrassing and disspiriting for reasons that should be obvious to anyone with half a brain.

Anyway, let's hope these shoots of improvement now break into flower in the weeks ahead, as I find it hard to accept we can be as atrociously bad as our season opening suggests.
"There's a blue light/in my best friend's room" -Mazzy Star

qprmendoza
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by qprmendoza » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:51 pm

Who called you stupid? I must have missed that.

The crux of your argument is that Steve is not developing younger players yet Ingram was replaced Lumley who is younger. It does seem to point to a glaring error in your argument.

Crabsandwich
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by Crabsandwich » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:06 pm

stainrod's elbow wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:18 pm
Takes one to know one, you are but what am I, etc, etc. Keep up the good work!

Don Gibbons
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by Don Gibbons » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:48 pm

stainrod's elbow wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:18 pm

My point, if you can actually read, was that the manager shows more interest, I'd say, in bringing in experience than working to develop the young players - though I admit it's early days. He was brought in for his coaching abilities, but all he could talk about was the loans market when things went pear-shaped with the youth he has been tasked to develop - you'd think he was 'Arry in disguise!

It isn't a black and white issue, I admit, and we've at least won a couple of games at LR since (most recently against a 'strong' Bristol Rovers, according to McClaren's bit of risible spin-doctoring), but I still find his interview after the Bristol City debacle embarrassing and disspiriting for reasons that should be obvious to anyone with half a brain.

Anyway, let's hope these shoots of improvement now break into flower in the weeks ahead, as I find it hard to accept we can be as atrociously bad as our season opening suggests.

I'd agree that Schteve has been employed to coach the youngsters - QPR finances dictate this.

But at the same time, it'd be a surprise to us all to expect him to field 18 Youth Team players from Day One.

These things take time.

Which is what he recognised early on.

As soon as he joined, he was telegraphing the need to augment the youthful squad he inhereted with experience:

“This squad I believe is a very good squad; young, energetic, with a good attitude and can play football... they’ve already proved that at the end of the season when the young players were thrown in and did well.. the next stage over the next year is to move forward, add experience and if we do that we can progress.”

https://www.nottinghampost.com/sport/fo ... ce-1591246