Just got back ...

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

ZENITH R

Just got back ...

Post by ZENITH R » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:20 pm

Well, my journey home was a lot more enjoyable than the one I had last week.

It wasn't a brilliant performance - far too many misplaced passes and silly fouls given away in dangerous areas for that. Those things can be worked on in the week in training, and will hopefully improve though.

Our performance was such that it was hard to see how largely the same players had done so poorly just 7 days ago. I'm pretty sure the Wigan fans will be scratching their heads after beating Stoke 3-0 away in the week and wondering how they could put in such a toothless performance just a few days later. It was a toothless performance. Apart from one shot which Lumley palmed away, they carried very little threat on our goal.

The two new guys did very well, but obviously tired as they hadn't played any football this season. Hemed took his goal very well, lobbing the ball over everyone into the net from about 10 yards out. It showed good technique, awareness, confidence and skill - all the things our front line has been lacking for ... well ages really. We had a few half chances, but nothing too exciting. Though Freeman nearly scored in the first minute of the second half. In fact I thought he had as I saw the net bulge and the ball roll along the back of the net! Unfortunately he had put it just wide, and it was behind the goal ... oooooh!

There were many positives today - we won, we kept a clean sheet, we are off the bottom of the table (if not quite out of the bottom three), one of our new signings scored, both the new guys played well and it will only get better as they achieve full match fitness (they have to play on Tuesday for that reason.)

Pretty happy tonight.

We have taken our first step (the season started today). We have to make sure we continue to take steps over the coming weeks as we move away from the bottom three and progress in the cup!

Next Saturday is a 6 pointer - win and we'll be outside the bottom 3, and on the march!

COYR's!
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

beaglebum
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Re: Just got back ...

Post by beaglebum » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:22 pm

:D :D

Greyhound
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Greyhound » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:08 pm

I agree, it's good to win and keep a clean sheet. That was my first game of the season and I was surprised at how poor the team looked with more or less the same players as last season (bar the front line). How is it that Wigan can pass the ball and we can't? We had to fight very hard for possession, and often lacked the confidence to do anything with it on the rare occasions we made openings. That said, the Freeman effort was a good one and unlucky, and I thought Lumley looked solid.

krama
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by krama » Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:08 pm

Good report thank you. aniclap

Rod
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by Rod » Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:55 pm

I thought lynch and Leinster were outstanding

Damien
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Damien » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:19 am

Greyhound wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:08 pm
I agree, it's good to win and keep a clean sheet. That was my first game of the season and I was surprised at how poor the team looked with more or less the same players as last season (bar the front line). How is it that Wigan can pass the ball and we can't? We had to fight very hard for possession, and often lacked the confidence to do anything with it on the rare occasions we made openings. That said, the Freeman effort was a good one and unlucky, and I thought Lumley looked solid.
We have a very average mid-field in my opinion. If we could get someone in there to use the ball better... I believe a lot of other problems would right themselves.

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:21 am

Damien wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:19 am
Greyhound wrote:
We have a very average mid-field in my opinion. If we could get someone in there to use the ball better... I believe a lot of other problems would right themselves.
Perhaps Eze in the middle?
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

Devonranger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Devonranger » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:24 am

I think you need someone confident in looking for the ball off our defenders in a deeper role and screening the back four as well - not sure we have that person amongst the squad at the moment.

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:31 am

Grant Hall?

ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:31 am

Esox Lucius wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:21 am
Damien wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:19 am
Greyhound wrote:
Perhaps Eze in the middle?
Or Chair?
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing up is optional.

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:33 am

If they put Tilt out wide in the game I am definitely getting the names on the shirt :D

ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:38 am

Esox Lucius wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:33 am
If they put Tilt out wide in the game I am definitely getting the names on the shirt :D
:D

I'm still waiting for us to pick up Sofa on loan - lots of bargains to be had there.

Remember:
Growing up is optional.

Damien
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Damien » Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:12 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:31 am
Grant Hall?
Could be an idea. What's his didtrubution like - as I can't remember the last time I saw him :wink:

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:19 pm

Damien wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:12 pm
Esox Lucius wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:31 am
Grant Hall?
Could be an idea. What's his didtrubution like - as I can't remember the last time I saw him :wink:
I suppose better than anything we currently have sounds like damned with faint praise but he isn't Rio in his pomp.

QPR-NI
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by QPR-NI » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:38 pm

Gareth McCauley is available as a free agent at the minute.

He's 39 but a class above anything we have and an inspirational leader on the field. And he scores goals.