Match Thread: Queens Park Rangers FC v Wigan Athletic

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

stainesranger
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger
Posts: 1241
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:05 am

Re: Match Thread: Queens Park Rangers FC v Wigan Athletic

Post by stainesranger » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:09 am

Esox Lucius wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:14 pm
Blimey this is a very small match thread :shock: I guess a win has upset a few people. :roll:
I’m delighted we’ve won the game and I hope it’s the start of much better things to come. It was a huge game and a huge result. We’ve now got something to build on. As has been said elsewhere the new forwards look good and lumley had a good game.

I’m guessing the lack of enthusiasm on here after the victory stems from it coming off the back of our worst ever start to a season and it not being the most convincing of wins you’ll ever see. That said, it offers us a genuinely glimmer and that is great news!

old pauline
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger
Posts: 3368
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:06 pm
Location: Wimbledon
Contact:

Re: Match Thread: Queens Park Rangers FC v Wigan Athletic

Post by old pauline » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:17 pm

I agree with Staines Ranger - largely because of what he has said in previous posts about the dismissal of Ollie. As regards the game it was a bit better all round with players looking a bit more comfortable in their roles - particularly at the back - but Wigan did have three or four clear cut chances. We mustn't forget that.

As for Esox mentioning that its a short match thread, I would have thought he would be in his element. He loves a good underdog and hard luck story and if ever we were to find ourselves in the Conference it would make his day and he would be singing from the rooftops.
Come on you Sooopa ........

User avatar
krama
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger
Posts: 979
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:55 am

Re: Match Thread: Queens Park Rangers FC v Wigan Athletic

Post by krama » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:20 pm

Would have to say that under the circumstances of the first four games that a win is a win however achieved, and the enthusiasm should have been sky high. Generally speaking the forum should be busier after a win than after a defeat, but that is never the case...which always strikes me as extremely weird. Surely you would celebrate your teams win and want to share that delight with other like minded people on here and the place should be rammed. It's only ever really busy after a loss...don't get it tbh. :?

old pauline
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger
Posts: 3368
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:06 pm
Location: Wimbledon
Contact:

Re: Match Thread: Queens Park Rangers FC v Wigan Athletic

Post by old pauline » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:30 pm

I agree. Seems over the last 3 or 5 seasons that it gets quiet on here after we win. Partly I think because some posters take winning for granted and partly I think because of all the change there is not quite so much allegiance these days. No doubt the glass half empty way of thinking also comes into it. Anyway, we are up and running and hopefully now we can start take more control of our games.
Come on you Sooopa ........

User avatar
krama
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger
Posts: 979
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:55 am

Re: Match Thread: Queens Park Rangers FC v Wigan Athletic

Post by krama » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:50 pm

Spot on Pauline, nice summation.

Bear-Grills
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger
Posts: 3426
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 7:41 pm

Re: Match Thread: Queens Park Rangers FC v Wigan Athletic

Post by Bear-Grills » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:51 pm

old pauline wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:17 pm
As for Esox mentioning that its a short match thread, I would have thought he would be in his element. He loves a good underdog and hard luck story and if ever we were to find ourselves in the Conference it would make his day and he would be singing from the rooftops.
I suspect you will be hearing from him in the not too distant future... :wink:
If drink isn't the answer, you were asked the wrong question

QPR_John
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 6188
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:35 pm
Location: Reading

Re: Match Thread: Queens Park Rangers FC v Wigan Athletic

Post by QPR_John » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:56 pm

krama wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:20 pm
Would have to say that under the circumstances of the first four games that a win is a win however achieved, and the enthusiasm should have been sky high. Generally speaking the forum should be busier after a win than after a defeat, but that is never the case...which always strikes me as extremely weird. Surely you would celebrate your teams win and want to share that delight with other like minded people on here and the place should be rammed. It's only ever really busy after a loss...don't get it tbh. :?
On the contrary after a defeat there is a feeling of misery and wanting to know others feel the same whereas after a win supporters are in a better mood and in reality taking the time to post on a messageboard is not a priority. Now winning a big match, cup final, play off, avoiding relegation is different.

User avatar
222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger
Posts: 4378
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:55 pm
Location: LONDON

Re: Match Thread: Queens Park Rangers FC v Wigan Athletic

Post by 222gers » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:14 pm

I found my mood changed quickly after the game. Initially I was delighted. This was my first match of the “campaign” and I was mightily pleased that the team showed plenty of fight and got 3 points on the board. Later when I'd sobered up, the misgivings clicked in....we rode our luck a bit, still pretty ropey passingwise and clearly in need of reinforcements.

We all know we need a defender or two on loan and will be better when Furlong returns. Bidwell has had a poor start but was very good for us last season and will surely tighten up. We'll be knackered if he gets injured with Robinson gone and the possibilty of Manning covering at left back no longer possible.

User avatar
krama
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger
Posts: 979
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:55 am

Re: Match Thread: Queens Park Rangers FC v Wigan Athletic

Post by krama » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:27 pm

QPR_John wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:56 pm
krama wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:20 pm
Would have to say that under the circumstances of the first four games that a win is a win however achieved, and the enthusiasm should have been sky high. Generally speaking the forum should be busier after a win than after a defeat, but that is never the case...which always strikes me as extremely weird. Surely you would celebrate your teams win and want to share that delight with other like minded people on here and the place should be rammed. It's only ever really busy after a loss...don't get it tbh. :?
On the contrary after a defeat there is a feeling of misery and wanting to know others feel the same whereas after a win supporters are in a better mood and in reality taking the time to post on a messageboard is not a priority. Now winning a big match, cup final, play off, avoiding relegation is different.
Think misery is a bit strong tbh, disappointment at a push maybe... but again I question it...why not replace the words "defeat" and "misery" above with "win" and "happiness"....Just don't get why that doesn't apply as well....very strange mentality in all honesty. :?

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger
Posts: 1714
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:54 am
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: Match Thread: Queens Park Rangers FC v Wigan Athletic

Post by stainrod's elbow » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:35 pm

krama wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:20 pm
Would have to say that under the circumstances of the first four games that a win is a win however achieved, and the enthusiasm should have been sky high. Generally speaking the forum should be busier after a win than after a defeat, but that is never the case...which always strikes me as extremely weird. Surely you would celebrate your teams win and want to share that delight with other like minded people on here and the place should be rammed. It's only ever really busy after a loss...don't get it tbh. :?
What seems more weird to me, tbh Krama, is your (and posters' of your ilk) peculiar inability to acknowledge explanatory points that account for said muted enthusiasm prior to you posting, - viz. (as you seem to require the reminders), Ollie's sacking, the shocking performances and results against Bristol City and WBA, and the worst opening to a season in living memory/since records began, for starters. If people get upset and angry when things are going badly, it's because they care. What part of criticality being a function of love do you not get?

From what perspective do you speak when you say that fans 'should be' more delighted? The reality is some are, some aren't, and some (like me) are cautiously relieved, but certainly not turning any cartwheels yet, as the club and its current management team has lost a lot of credibility in recent months (not to mention years). To be 'sky high' after a somewhat lucky, if more encouraging, 1-0 against the mighty Wigan strikes me as manically over-reactive. (Arsene Wenger used to have it right, I think, in saying he never got over-excited after a win, nor overly depressed after a defeat - though he also wasn't in the habit of letting in ten goals in two games and performing like spineless amateurs for most of those games!) Take a chill pill, some deep breaths, and look at the bigger picture! The fact is we still have a largely unwanted manager who looked clueless and beaten after our horrendous season opening, and whose ONLY response was to say I hope we can get new players in to change it - which was a massive vote of no-confidence in the existing squad significantly weakened (though finally now partly strengthened) by Hoos, Les and the board.

Like everyone else I'm sure, I'll be delighted if we can, after all, build on this step in the right direction, though I suspect this is going to be a bumpy ol' season with the brolly man at the helm. As for us, in short, QPR is a broad church, not a cult. That's the reality, so why not deal with it? At times, with respect, you sound like a bit of a fundamentalist.
"There's a blue light/in my best friend's room" -Mazzy Star

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger
Posts: 1714
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:54 am
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: Match Thread: Queens Park Rangers FC v Wigan Athletic

Post by stainrod's elbow » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:00 pm

krama wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:49 pm
Andy_N19 wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:23 pm
krama wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:29 pm


Haha indeed. Very odd isn't it.
Just to give "balance" - the performance was workmanlike. We had 4 "new" players who made the difference:
Hemed/Wells - did more in one match that Sylla/Smith/Washington have done in the last 18 months
Rangel - looked assured and competent; not often that can be said of our so called defence
Lumley - Exuded confidence, made some smart saves and looks better than Ingram

We still look vulnerable, no pace in yesterday's side, fragile all round and a lot to work on not least confidence.
A win is a win however achieved. Matters not one jot! 8)
Right! A narrow, slightly fortunate win by a side that still looks fragile and uncertain versus, say, one with a side playing scintillating football that keeps getting better and better are essentially indistinguishable. :roll:

Who did you learn the art of football from? Ever heard of a chap called Dave Sexton?
"There's a blue light/in my best friend's room" -Mazzy Star

User avatar
trevsinclair85
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger
Posts: 1102
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:02 pm

Re: Match Thread: Queens Park Rangers FC v Wigan Athletic

Post by trevsinclair85 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:42 pm

Massive win. I do think the next game will indicate whether we are changing our season around, so I think the next game is huge for us.

Well done to Lumley. I think it would still be a risk though to not look at potentially better goalkeeper options on loan (someone with good experience). One bad game and his confidence could drop.

Still amazed that we got Hemed and Wells. We have a chance with those two.

Delighted to finally get a win.

User avatar
krama
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger
Posts: 979
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:55 am

Re: Match Thread: Queens Park Rangers FC v Wigan Athletic

Post by krama » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:10 pm

stainrod's elbow wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:35 pm
krama wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:20 pm
Would have to say that under the circumstances of the first four games that a win is a win however achieved, and the enthusiasm should have been sky high. Generally speaking the forum should be busier after a win than after a defeat, but that is never the case...which always strikes me as extremely weird. Surely you would celebrate your teams win and want to share that delight with other like minded people on here and the place should be rammed. It's only ever really busy after a loss...don't get it tbh. :?
What seems more weird to me, tbh Krama, is your (and posters' of your ilk) peculiar inability to acknowledge explanatory points that account for said muted enthusiasm prior to you posting, - viz. (as you seem to require the reminders), Ollie's sacking, the shocking performances and results against Bristol City and WBA, and the worst opening to a season in living memory/since records began, for starters. If people get upset and angry when things are going badly, it's because they care. What part of criticality being a function of love do you not get?

From what perspective do you speak when you say that fans 'should be' more delighted? The reality is some are, some aren't, and some (like me) are cautiously relieved, but certainly not turning any cartwheels yet, as the club and its current management team has lost a lot of credibility in recent months (not to mention years). To be 'sky high' after a somewhat lucky, if more encouraging, 1-0 against the mighty Wigan strikes me as manically over-reactive. (Arsene Wenger used to have it right, I think, in saying he never got over-excited after a win, nor overly depressed after a defeat - though he also wasn't in the habit of letting in ten goals in two games and performing like spineless amateurs for most of those games!) Take a chill pill, some deep breaths, and look at the bigger picture! The fact is we still have a largely unwanted manager who looked clueless and beaten after our horrendous season opening, and whose ONLY response was to say I hope we can get new players in to change it - which was a massive vote of no-confidence in the existing squad significantly weakened (though finally now partly strengthened) by Hoos, Les and the board.

Like everyone else I'm sure, I'll be delighted if we can, after all, build on this step in the right direction, though I suspect this is going to be a bumpy ol' season with the brolly man at the helm. As for us, in short, QPR is a broad church, not a cult. That's the reality, so why not deal with it? At times, with respect, you sound like a bit of a fundamentalist.
Thanks for that....couldn't be bothered to read to it all in detail, but on a quick scan it seems that you, elbow, CARE way too much to be healthy...its football after all, that's all it is, and for you (and posters of your ilk! :D ) to get so angry is way way over the top....imo of course. Ive been "caring" about QPR FC for over sixty years now, but it is and always has been well down on the list of things I tend to get angry about. Its football, a hobby, an interest, so not worth losing my rag over or dwelling too much on. Win great! Lose, disappointing of course, but no toys coming out the pram here!! 8)

stainesranger
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger
Posts: 1241
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:05 am

Re: Match Thread: Queens Park Rangers FC v Wigan Athletic

Post by stainesranger » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:10 pm

old pauline wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:17 pm
I agree with Staines Ranger - largely because of what he has said in previous posts about the dismissal of Ollie. As regards the game it was a bit better all round with players looking a bit more comfortable in their roles - particularly at the back - but Wigan did have three or four clear cut chances. We mustn't forget that.

As for Esox mentioning that its a short match thread, I would have thought he would be in his element. He loves a good underdog and hard luck story and if ever we were to find ourselves in the Conference it would make his day and he would be singing from the rooftops.
Thanks old pauline. I think there’s a good few of us that opposed the Ollie sacking but who (it shouldn’t really need saying) obviously want McLaren to do well now that he’s appointed.

I find it very odd that some fans feel like they can be and should be the arbiter on who is a proper Rangers fan, largely it would seem, based on whether or not they agree with the other person or not.

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger
Posts: 1714
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:54 am
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: Match Thread: Queens Park Rangers FC v Wigan Athletic

Post by stainrod's elbow » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:59 pm

krama wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:10 pm
stainrod's elbow wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:35 pm
krama wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:20 pm
Would have to say that under the circumstances of the first four games that a win is a win however achieved, and the enthusiasm should have been sky high. Generally speaking the forum should be busier after a win than after a defeat, but that is never the case...which always strikes me as extremely weird. Surely you would celebrate your teams win and want to share that delight with other like minded people on here and the place should be rammed. It's only ever really busy after a loss...don't get it tbh. :?
What seems more weird to me, tbh Krama, is your (and posters' of your ilk) peculiar inability to acknowledge explanatory points that account for said muted enthusiasm prior to you posting, - viz. (as you seem to require the reminders), Ollie's sacking, the shocking performances and results against Bristol City and WBA, and the worst opening to a season in living memory/since records began, for starters. If people get upset and angry when things are going badly, it's because they care. What part of criticality being a function of love do you not get?

From what perspective do you speak when you say that fans 'should be' more delighted? The reality is some are, some aren't, and some (like me) are cautiously relieved, but certainly not turning any cartwheels yet, as the club and its current management team has lost a lot of credibility in recent months (not to mention years). To be 'sky high' after a somewhat lucky, if more encouraging, 1-0 against the mighty Wigan strikes me as manically over-reactive. (Arsene Wenger used to have it right, I think, in saying he never got over-excited after a win, nor overly depressed after a defeat - though he also wasn't in the habit of letting in ten goals in two games and performing like spineless amateurs for most of those games!) Take a chill pill, some deep breaths, and look at the bigger picture! The fact is we still have a largely unwanted manager who looked clueless and beaten after our horrendous season opening, and whose ONLY response was to say I hope we can get new players in to change it - which was a massive vote of no-confidence in the existing squad significantly weakened (though finally now partly strengthened) by Hoos, Les and the board.

Like everyone else I'm sure, I'll be delighted if we can, after all, build on this step in the right direction, though I suspect this is going to be a bumpy ol' season with the brolly man at the helm. As for us, in short, QPR is a broad church, not a cult. That's the reality, so why not deal with it? At times, with respect, you sound like a bit of a fundamentalist.
Thanks for that....couldn't be bothered to read to it all in detail, but on a quick scan it seems that you, elbow, CARE way too much to be healthy...its football after all, that's all it is, and for you (and posters of your ilk! :D ) to get so angry is way way over the top....imo of course. Ive been "caring" about QPR FC for over sixty years now, but it is and always has been well down on the list of things I tend to get angry about. Its football, a hobby, an interest, so not worth losing my rag over or dwelling too much on. Win great! Lose, disappointing of course, but no toys coming out the pram here!! 8)
Congratulations on your self appointment as arbiter, judge and jury (for me, and it seems, all) of all that is good and 'healthy' re the optimal psychic adjustments to all things QPR.

Do you never worry that you might sound like a bit of a sanctimonious, self-righteous bore?
"There's a blue light/in my best friend's room" -Mazzy Star

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 29 guests