Josh Scowen

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

Southgate Hoop
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Josh Scowen

Post by Southgate Hoop » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:29 pm

What did he do this summer? And who is this absolute clown that’s wearing his shirt on the pitch?

Damien
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Re: Josh Scowen

Post by Damien » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:27 pm

I saw him play about a dozen games last season - and couldn't understand what the fuss was about TBH. If he has regressed from that mediocre level... we're in deeper shit than I thought.

n22hoop
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by n22hoop » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:36 pm

Damien wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:27 pm
I saw him play about a dozen games last season - and couldn't understand what the fuss was about TBH. If he has regressed from that mediocre level... we're in deeper shit than I thought.
This is how I feel about Luongo. No idea what the fuss is about.
"Football is the love of form. A spectacle that scarcely leaves a trace in the memory and does not enrich or impoverish knowledge. This is its appeal : it is exciting and empty." Mario Vargas Llosa

old pauline
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by old pauline » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:42 pm

They are good players, the pair of them. As are many of the other players. The problem is confidence. That is all. I don't think we should be pointing the finger at Scowen, that's for sure.
Come on you Sooopa ........

Devonranger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Devonranger » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:48 pm

Think it is the system and the manager needs to look at his players and see how to get the best out of them.

Damien
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Damien » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:56 pm

What if this is the best that he or any other manager can get out of them? We have had poor players for so long that bog average players like Scowen and Luongo are just "waiting for the right manager". How long do they need before we see them really put their mark on a game. The rest of the squad need to have a long hard look at themselves as well. The only caveat I will give those who blame the manager, is the appalling body language of the players (this from someone I know who has seen all four defeats).That is big worry, and will cost McClaren his job.

redinjun
dot.org player kit sponsor
dot.org player kit sponsor

Post by redinjun » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:19 pm

At least we have a young combative midfielder waiting in the wings, oh hang on...

White Duck
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by White Duck » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:41 pm

Scowen was incredibly poor tonight but did well last season IMO. His confidence is clearly low and it's affecting his play and decision making.

I think you could say that about ALL of the midfield at the moment.
Lex Talionis........

Rbee
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:44 pm

redinjun wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:19 pm
At least we have a young combative midfielder waiting in the wings, oh hang on...
That decision could have been a financial one but I doubt it. Ryan does need games but I think Luongo could have had a longer break. He didn't play in Russia but trained and stayed match fit and then enjoyed two or three weeks off. Not enough bearing in mind a tough Championship season and numerous flights around the world to join the Aussie squad.

UxbridgeR
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by UxbridgeR » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:56 am

White Duck wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:41 pm
Scowen was incredibly poor tonight but did well last season IMO. His confidence is clearly low and it's affecting his play and decision making.

Exactly. It happens to the best of players. Scowen and Loungo were consistently good for us last season. It's amazing how quickly people forget that.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

W12Allstars
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by W12Allstars » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:21 am

Rbee wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:44 pm
redinjun wrote:
That decision could have been a financial one but I doubt it. Ryan does need games but I think Luongo could have had a longer break. He didn't play in Russia but trained and stayed match fit and then enjoyed two or three weeks off. Not enough bearing in mind a tough Championship season and numerous flights around the world to join the Aussie squad.
I'd agree with that, Luongo is a very decent player, but at the moment seems some way off where he can be. I'd imagine going to the world cup may have raised his expectations somewhat, and coming back into this shitstorm won't be what he'd have been dreaming of doing whilst over in Russia!

However, we're going to need him and Scowen and everyone else to turn this around, which as it starts to gain negative momentum is going to get harder and harder so singling players out isn't going to help.

That midfield may not be the best in the league, but it was certainly good enough last season so should be enough this season too. Over to you Steve.
Far better is it to dare mighty things, than to dwell in the twighlight that knows neither victory nor defeat - T Roosevelt

ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:56 am

W12Allstars wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:21 am
Rbee wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:44 pm
redinjun wrote:
I'd agree with that, Luongo is a very decent player, but at the moment seems some way off where he can be. I'd imagine going to the world cup may have raised his expectations somewhat, and coming back into this shitstorm won't be what he'd have been dreaming of doing whilst over in Russia!

However, we're going to need him and Scowen and everyone else to turn this around, which as it starts to gain negative momentum is going to get harder and harder so singling players out isn't going to help.

That midfield may not be the best in the league, but it was certainly good enough last season so should be enough this season too. Over to you Steve.
Sitting on the bench for the entire competition wouldn't have done him any good. I think his confidence took a battering, and it is being smashed now he's returned.
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

Damien
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Damien » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:36 am

UxbridgeR wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:56 am
White Duck wrote:

Exactly. It happens to the best of players. Scowen and Loungo were consistently good for us last season. It's amazing how quickly people forget that.
They had as many very average games and poor ones as good ones. They are better than they are showing at the moment - but let's not big them up into something they plainly aren't. Even though we obviously have problems at the back and up-front, our mid-field issues(not being able to stamp some control on a game) - has been going on for a long time now. I'm of the opinion that if you get the middle right , the other two ends should improve as well. But then I will happily admit football tactics ain't my strong suit. It was a simple game when I started watching Rangers - so even I could work it out when it went pear-shaped. Modern football just leaves me confused.
Last edited by Damien on Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Satch
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:10 pm

UxbridgeR wrote:
White Duck wrote:

I actually thought Scowen tailed off in the last quarter of last season and that's continued. He made a huge difference when he came in and we really need that player back, his role both positionally and as a character is going to be vital to us if we're to turn things around.

Mr Beef
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Mr Beef » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:55 pm

Damien wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:36 am
UxbridgeR wrote:
White Duck wrote:

They had as many very average games and poor ones as good ones. They are better than they are showing at the moment - but let's not big them up into something they plainly aren't.
I don't think that anyone is. Most championship players have many average and many poor games, it's why they're playing in the championship. Luongo and Scowen aren't world beaters, but they're among our better players, and if we can't accept their flaws I'd say that we probably have a very unrealistic expectation of the kind of player that we can attract these days.